Pre-band Diet questions

I threw a couple questins to Dr. Miranda, but if I recall correctly, she doesn't work on Fridays, and I start my pre-band doet tomorrow (sigh). Any insight you all could give me would be appreciated.

1) I was told to use balsamic vinegar on my salads. Can I use oil? If so, can I use a dressing like Newman's Own Italian? (http://www.newmansown.com/product_detail.cfm?cat_id=1&prod_id=5)

2) I was told three shakes a day, plus green leafies. I assume one shake per meal, plus all the green leafies I want, correct?

Are sugar-free sodas ok, too? Nutra-sweet sodas? Caffeinated sodas? (...and yes, I know no sodas post-band).

Thank you for your help!

Hi James,

Oil is not on the pre surgery diet (bummer i know) but I think you can use your best judement - I believe I used a bottled dressing, just a very small amount (you know, measure out 2 tbls. not 1 cup -smile) and a lite dressing is probably best.

yes you are correct on the shakes = and on the green leafy salad and on the sodas.

you'll do fine! take care and good luck on your surgery. mary

I threw a couple questins to Dr. Miranda, but if I recall correctly, she doesn't work on Fridays, and I start my pre-band doet tomorrow (sigh). Any insight you all could give me would be appreciated.

1) I was told to use balsamic vinegar on my salads. Can I use oil? If so, can I use a dressing like Newman's Own Italian? (http://www.newmansown.com/product_detail.cfm?cat_id=1&prod_id=5)

2) I was told three shakes a day, plus green leafies. I assume one shake per meal, plus all the green leafies I want, correct?

Are sugar-free sodas ok, too? Nutra-sweet sodas? Caffeinated sodas? (...and yes, I know no sodas post-band).

Thank you for your help!

Hi James,

If I understand correctly, after the banding drinking carbonated beverages will cause the band to possibly slip. I haven't had a diet coke in 6 weeks. I was banded on July 26th and I can honestly say that pop/soda is the only think I absolutely gave up. I used to drink 3-4 a day.

My suggestion...wean yourself now because on a hot summer day after your band...an ice cold soda will be a tough one to resist!

I found a protien drink mix at costco that was very affordable and actually tastes good. Much cheaper than the health food stores!

Good luck with your diet amigo! ;)

~M

Thanks, everyone, for your replies. Ok, at least I have the OPTION of having a final soda...

OH! One more question: do artichokes qualify as "leafy green veggies"?

James, I have been having spinach, asparagus, small amount of edamame (soybeans) , green onions, brussel sprouts and brocolli. Oh, and one night I had some olives. I hope all of those are ok! I have taken some liberties with the "leafy greens" because salad was just not filling me up. Hot steamed veggies have more staying power for me. If the choices are: blow this diet completely and have "real food" vs. add some other veggies, I think I'd rather just add some more veggies.

I feel like I've done enough diets to know what makes me fat -- and sparagus and brussel sprouts are not the bad guys.

Thanks, everyone, for your replies. Ok, at least I have the OPTION of having a final soda...

OH! One more question: do artichokes qualify as "leafy green veggies"?

Hi James,

I kind of OD's on sodas just before surgery, I got sick of them! No soda's after surgery so get them in now if you really want them :)

Avoid oil on your salad, we need to shrink your liver and fat intake will slow that process.

Feel free to call or email me with questions.

Feel free to call or email me with questions.

Lori, did you take a look at my veggie additions and do you think that looks ok? Also, what is the deal with the day of surgery, food wise? Do I need to stop with the protein drinks entirely at some point? I get in Wednesday night and then do my pre-op surgery on the same day, Thursday. So I want to make sure I don't keep on consuming and get in trouble.

OK, and one more question. I keep reading about people having Mexican food in TJ the night before surgery. Are they all heaters or is this some kind of last supper treat?!

What's a heater?

I had mexican food the night before my surgery and I got sick. BUT...I think it was because it was SOOOO HOT in TJ that I was dehydrated and didn't drink enough water that day. I stopped eating the night before at 8. Fasted that morning until I got to the clinic at about noon. After my pre surgery prep stuff, my friend and I went down town to shop and take in the "sights". Like I said, it was so hot and I had ate very little in the 24 hours. The heat took over and my stomach said...No MAS. But I think that is just me.

I suggest having a last meal. Just make it a small one.

Good luck!

Michele

:) Thanks... it's just something I made in Photoshop. Using butterflies on a meadow just didn't fit me for a tracker, know what I mean?

LOL, I love your tracker!!! So much better then the ones online.

Hi,

any veggie should be fine during your pre-op diet - just avoid starchy or fatty foods (potatoes!)

you shouldn't have anything except water the morning of your pre-ops and NOTHING after midnight the night before surgery - not even water.

Now... I have heard of people having a final supper the night before surgery. I'd be careful!! If your gourged yourself... you could enlarge your liver and possibly have undigested food left in your stomach... then your surgery will have to be rescheduled or canceled. its not worth it. If you really want to try something, it should be fine... but small quanities! moderation is key. you don't want your trip to be a waste!!! Remember... new life... new thinking... fresh start!!

I had my final meal the night before I started the pre-op diet. It was fine. I was told the same - 3-4 shakes, and all the green veggies I could eat - up to 4 pounds!!! That is a lot of green veggies. I hated the balsamic vinegar. I did, on two salads, use fat free ranch, and used it very, very sparingly. The calorie difference was only thirty. So it made very little diffence, but make it much more palatable.

I love diet coke, so I had diet coke the whole time, my last chance. I even had diet coke last night, before surgery today.

I lost plenty.

Becki