Back from my third fill

And I think she might have missed my port. I'm not sure yet because she wants me on liquids for 3 days which I find odd, because Dr. O only requires that on your first fill. This is my third. Anyway, I now have a total of 7 cc in my 10 cc band.

She had a horrible time finding my port and thankfully she gave me lidocaine or I would have been upset because she stabbed and dug several times. Anyway, she is like a whole inch away from my other two needle marks that still show on my skin from my last 2 fills. Plus, when she injected it, I didn't feel a thing. Both previous fills I felt it in my band. It was hot, like burning, but not pain (Not trying to scare the newbies here, it doesn't hurt, but you can feel it) and I didn't feel it at all this time. And today, no matter how much I drink, I am still hungry. I just have this sneaky suspiscion that she missed my port entirely. Of course it wasn't under fluro and that might be the problem because my stomach is soooo big.

I have heard nothing but great things about her, so I was a little disappointed when I got there. It seemed like she couldn't get me in and out fast enough. She was nice but rushed.

She did explain something REALLY neat to me about fat versus muscle.......

She said, that it wasn't quite accurate to say that muscle weighs more than fat, it doesn't. A pound of fat is the same as a pound of muscle. She said that it is more dense and it builds up. She said the heavier you get, the more bone and muscle your body produces. Your body needs more bone and muscle to support your larger frame. And, as you lose weight, you do not lose that bone and muscle you gained. That is why most people who are big for a long time will never get back down to their ideal skinny weight.

An example she gave was that when she first weighed 185 she fit in a size 18. Then ballooned up for a while. Then when she was banded and got back down to 185 again, she fit into a size 14. Thats becaue her bones grew when she gained weight but didn't lose bone mass when she lost.

The only reason this kind of makes sense to me is that back in February when I was on this bariatric scale, it measured my bone and flesh - everything but the actual fat, and said I was 147. And that since everyone needs a little fat in their body, my ideal weight to get back down to will be 150. Now 150 doesn't sounds all that small when you realize that I am only 5'3". I would have thought I should be 120 or so, but she said no, my bones will have grown too big for that and that would make me emaciated.

Isn't that interesting? Just wondering what everyone's thoughts are on that. Something good for us all to dicuss.

Also, stopped at this WAY COOL zoo on the way home - right near her office. At first I thought it was one of those rinky dink dumpy zoos that would enrage me at how tiny the cages were, but I was hugely and pleasantly surprised. It is actually a very nice and big zoo. But, the MOST AWESOME part was the safari ride. You go into this huge truck that looks just like a regular safari truck and as you go into each different animal area, YOU SHOULD SEE ALL THE CRITTERS come running to meet us at the truck. I mean, you should see them all! From all sides, from behind all the trees and rocks and brush they come chasing the truck. So, we stop, they giver us popcorn and we can hand feed all those critters! Oh my God, it was freaking CUTE to see all them animals running to greet us. I so wish I would have had my camera! So, I got to hand feed bison, a camel, llamas, a zebra, ostriche's, rhea's, donkey's, yaks, and a whole host of other animals I didn't know the name of. THey stuck their little heads (or big heads) right into the truck for food and let us pet them and love on them. And there was a llama named Lilly who wouldn't leave my side. I fell in love! I have a cat at home named Lilly (go see the off topic forum for a pic). Anyway, that was heaven for me! I am most definitely going back!!!! I had the best time.

Kimmie in MD I go back the 13th of August at 10:30. We are going to take an overnight and do some of Gettysburg an the zoo again if you are interested in joining up.

WOW - how unfortunate if she did miss your port!!! Was this with Fill Centers USA? That sure is expensive for her to miss! I hope she did not miss it and you will have GREAT restriction! Please keep us posted!!

Mona~

Gosh I hope she didn't miss your port. That would be terrible!

The zoo trip sounds like fun!

Do you really think she missed your port all together??? wow! I know when I get a fill, I can feel pressure when the needle is inserted into the port.

Didn't she extract the existing liquid and tell you how many cc's you had in there? If so, she had to of hit the port to do this.........

Hi Mona, I sure hope she didn't miss your port...can you get your money back if there is no change?

That's really interesting about bone, muscle and fat. I thought the same thing...I am 5 feet tall and should be 120 to be at my ideal...but my surgeon recommended 150...I am shooting for 140....if I make it to 150 and then have a tummy tuck, I will hit 140.

Good luck!!!

Cathy

Do you really think she missed your port all together??? wow! I know when I get a fill, I can feel pressure when the needle is inserted into the port.

Didn't she extract the existing liquid and tell you how many cc's you had in there? If so, she had to of hit the port to do this.........

Actually, I asked her about extracting the saline first and she said she doesn't do that, she just inserts more. That is what kind of had me weirded out. But, I can't tell yet anyway, because I am still on liquids. She has you like that for 3 days, then mushy foods 3 days then regular food. So, I guess I'll know in a few more days.

Maybe it's just my pessimistic attitude that our dear friend Cedar has pointed out.

But, I thought it was all kind of weird.

WOW - how unfortunate if she did miss your port!!! Was this with Fill Centers USA? That sure is expensive for her to miss! I hope she did not miss it and you will have GREAT restriction! Please keep us posted!!

No, not Fill Centers USA, just a regular internal med doctor who was banded in Mexico and does fills from her office once a week. I am sure if something is wrong, she will re-do it. I'm probably just paranoid, as usual.

You should find out soon if you didn't get all of your fill. It's so noticible after it's done when you eat. Everyone has there own rules about what to do after getting fills, so if I were you I would stick to Dr. O's rules since he did the surgery.

The zoo sounds fantastic!!!!

Jena

OK here we go again. Have you read the rules. No name calling. No rude accusations. Also, unless you were there with her you know nothing about how her fill was done, whether the fluid was first pulled out or not.

Stop being a troll!!!

Moderators where are you? Please consider deleting this type of rudeness!!

Don't worry about it Julie, he really doesn't bother me. I feel sorry for him to tell the truth. He must lead such a sad pitiful life to act like this, so he should be pitied. Thanks though.

Hey, where's your address for those pants????? And, weren't you going back to the OCC today for your fill? I thought you would be gone by now and on your way?

Don't worry Julie, he's been reported.

It doesn't make me angry, I feel pity for people like him who have such a sad and lonely life that they will do anything for attention.

Pity him, don't be upset.

Damn, we ARE crapsisters aren't we? I said practically the same words, LOL!!

Don't worry about it Julie, he really doesn't bother me. I feel sorry for him to tell the truth. He must lead such a sad pitiful life to act like this, so he should be pitied. Thanks though.

Hey, where's your address for those pants????? And, weren't you going back to the OCC today for your fill? I thought you would be gone by now and on your way?

Yes I am actually at the Hotel Lucerna right now!! When I read those comments I had to reply and report to someone before I could get the chance to tell about my fill. The fill was nothing at all. It only "pinched" for about 3-4 seconds and then I could not feel the needle in. Of course they use the fluoro so Dr. So got it the first time. He then sat me up, with the syringe still in place holding the saline and had me drink barium (a liquid media that shows up on x-ray, not too bad tasting really) a few sips at a time and then would add small amounts of saline after each sip. I did this 4 or 5 times and then he said OK, we're done. He put in 1.8 cc and explained the MAX is 2.0 cc. He gave a very nice description of why the 2.0 cc limit and what he sees that tells him to not put anymore saline in. I then sipped on a small water and was done. Simple as that..I pray for restriction :sun_bespectacled:

Gotta go for now as someone wants to use this shared computer here at the hotel.

And Mona I'll M you my address. I'll be home late friday.

Yes I am actually at the Hotel Lucerna right now!! When I read those comments I had to reply and report to someone before I could get the chance to tell about my fill. The fill was nothing at all. It only "pinched" for about 3-4 seconds and then I could not feel the needle in. Of course they use the fluoro so Dr. So got it the first time. He then sat me up, with the syringe still in place holding the saline and had me drink barium (a liquid media that shows up on x-ray, not too bad tasting really) a few sips at a time and then would add small amounts of saline after each sip. I did this 4 or 5 times and then he said OK, we're done. He put in 1.8 cc and explained the MAX is 2.0 cc. He gave a very nice description of why the 2.0 cc limit and what he sees that tells him to not put anymore saline in. I then sipped on a small water and was done. Simple as that..I pray for restriction :sun_bespectacled:

Gotta go for now as someone wants to use this shared computer here at the hotel.

And Mona I'll M you my address. I'll be home late friday.

Glad it went well for you!!!!!! I really wish I could afford to keep going back there. Isn't Dr So a cutie?

Mona,

My 2nd fill was at a Fill Center USA. They instructed me to be on 3 days of liquid.

Day 1. Warm liquids

Day 2. Add cold liquids

Day 3. Full liquids

(or something like this!)

I'm crossing my fingers you have a good fill!

Keep us posted.

Hey Mona, I would like more info about the pants, can you send me a personal message...thanks, Cathy

Hey Mona, I would like more info about the pants, can you send me a personal message...thanks, Cathy

Too late Cathy! Julie already claimed them. Sorry! But I may have mroe when I get together with my sister. If so, I'll post them on the clothing exchange. I'm trying to get her to join up here and she has lots of stuff that doesn't fit anymore.

I have to speak up in defense of Dr. Brinkley. I saw her last week on Wednesday. She got my port on the first try, no problems whatsoever.

I was surprised that she had me go back on clear liquids for 5 days and then the creamy soup stage for another 5 days. I will admit, I kind of disregarded the clear liquids for 5 days and have mostly done creamy soup stage since last Wednesday.

All I know is it worked. I have lost 8 lbs. since my fill and if I wasn't so freaking constipated, I bet it would be more, but I refuse to get back on the scale until I unblock.

I am definetly going back to her again. I am scheduled for 8/13 too, but think I will cancel because I don't think I will need a fill again that soon.

Ramona, what I don't understand, is if she missed the port entirely and your sister's fill doc has agreed to do your fills, why would you schedule to go back at all?

I have to speak up in defense of Dr. Brinkley. I saw her last week on Wednesday. She got my port on the first try, no problems whatsoever.

I was surprised that she had me go back on clear liquids for 5 days and then the creamy soup stage for another 5 days. I will admit, I kind of disregarded the clear liquids for 5 days and have mostly done creamy soup stage since last Wednesday.

All I know is it worked. I have lost 8 lbs. since my fill and if I wasn't so freaking constipated, I bet it would be more, but I refuse to get back on the scale until I unblock.

I am definetly going back to her again. I am scheduled for 8/13 too, but think I will cancel because I don't think I will need a fill again that soon.

Ramona, what I don't understand, is if she missed the port entirely and your sister's fill doc has agreed to do your fills, why would you schedule to go back at all?

No no, I am not sure if shemissed it, just wondered! I thought she might have missed it because of the way it went, but I posted later and said I had soup and my meds and filled up fast. I think it is fine now. I just thought it odd that she didn't pull it out first and just added. I had remembered your post about your experience and how much everyone else liked her too, which is why I was surprised that she was so rushed. I didn't mean to badmouth her. I just think she rushed me. I only saw her for 10 minutes at the most. I was hoping for more so I could ask about food and eating but she ushered me out too fast. Her daughter and husband were there so maybe she was trying to go to lunch or something. Her husband kept trying to get me to buy that liquid vitamin stuff. But at $95.00 per month supply, I can't do it.

About the appointment, I am very 'up in the air' about it. I do feel like I want to give her a second chance and I liked the lidocaine part of it, since she had to dig. But the biggest thing is that my mom wants to go back down in August to do Gettysburg along with my sister and neice, and I will be right there. Yes, I have an appointment with my sisters doctor up here and wanted to get in with a local doctor. That is why I am conflicted. (I always have a hard time making a decision). It's like, if I am going back down there anyway, I ought to see her. Right? But, then what about the doctor up here? I could always change that appointment for September? She also said that people with the bigger VG get more fills and the next few will only be 1/2 cc per time. Plus, I am so big in the abdomen, that any doctor will have a hard time feeling for the port, but she knows Dr. Ortiz's style, my sisters doctor doesn't. GRRRR see, how conflicted I am? I'm whacked!!!!!

LOL...Your a MESS!!! Now with your sis her on the board maybe she will get you whipped into shape!

You know what is fun to do in Gettysburg -- A Ghost Walk at Dusk or in the Dark. They say lots of Civil Wars ghosts floating around there!

Have a great weekend.

PS If I had someone jabbing me more than once, I would be glad for the lidocaine too!

LOL...Your a MESS!!! Now with your sis her on the board maybe she will get you whipped into shape!

You know what is fun to do in Gettysburg -- A Ghost Walk at Dusk or in the Dark. They say lots of Civil Wars ghosts floating around there!

Have a great weekend.

PS If I had someone jabbing me more than once, I would be glad for the lidocaine too!

Yes, the ghost walk is my big thing that I AM doing.

And I AM a mess. So now I've admitted my problem, maybe I can join a WHACKED ANONYMOUS group huh? I swear I have ADHD. My mind is always going in 10 directions at once.

But, you didn't tell me what to do? Dr. MD or Dr. PA?

Easy choice....take a day or so in Gettysburg, just for a visit and clearly Dr. in PA! You have seen how well your sister has done using him/her for fills. It is like way closer, so in case of an emergency you have someone very close. Can always go back to Brinkley if you don't like the doc in PA.

Too late Cathy! Julie already claimed them. Sorry! But I may have mroe when I get together with my sister. If so, I'll post them on the clothing exchange. I'm trying to get her to join up here and she has lots of stuff that doesn't fit anymore.

That's okay, I was trying to message you about you know who and couldn't send it. I was getting an error message, so I thought if you could message me, I would be able to tell you what was going on..using the jeans as a cover!

Cathy