Banded on August 29, 2006 with my daughter

Well, here I am at the clinic on the Morning After. My name is Sue. I am 39 years old, and live near Everett,WA. I've read the posts on this forum for hours, and each wonderful thing that was said about the friendliness and professionalism of the staff is all true. I came here with my 16 year old daughter to have the surgery together. We checked into the Hotel Lucerna on Satuday night, after being met at the San Diego Airport baggage claim by a man holding up a card with our names on it. His name was Jesus, but he drove like the devil. :blink: The trip across the border took about 15-20 minutes.

It was late when we arrived at the hotel, so we just explored the beautiful building and pool a bit, then went to bed. The next day we had fun shopping (great name brand purses and sunglasses on Revolution Ave!!) and swimming, then on Monday morning Mrs. Ortiz (Dr. Ortiz' mother) picked us up at 10 am and took us to the clinic for the pre-op tests. We were asked additional background questions about our health, and had an EKG. We also had to blow as hard as we could into a cone-shaped machine to test our lung capacity. The we met with Dr. Miranda, the nutritionist, to get our weight and height measured, go over our paperwork and weight loss, and receive instructions on what we were to eat over the couse of the next few weeks. The paper she handed us was meant to be a take-home guide, but the PowerPoint presentation that she gave (which loosely followed the handout) was much clearer and better organized, in my opinion, so I asked for a printout of that to put on my fridge. She said she would email it to me.

After another great day of shopping and swimming, we each had a weight loss shake for breakfast, a small tuna fish sandwich and cottage cheese for lunch, then just cottage cheese for dinner. I took a picture of the "Last Supper" - should have taken it before we ate it, but we didn't think of it until later!! :-) We were not to eat or drink after midnight, so I had my last weight loss shake (of the 12 shakes I brought from home) around 8:30pm, then drank a whole bottle of water around 10:30, and called it good. My daughter had her last shake at 11:30. We read a little more about the pre and post surgery things to expect in the "Weight Loss Surgery for Dummies" book that I got at the library, which I plan to buy when I get back. We were ready and rarin' to go!!

I didn't really have an urge to fill my face with food on a "Last Supper" binge before surgery. I thought I would, and might have given in to it, but when it was explained to me weeks ago that after the surgery, I would most likely to able to eat almost anything that I currently eat, except doughy breads and carbonated drinks, and I thought I could manage that. I wasn't leaving old friends...I was just going to see less of them, and leave room for more than food in my life. So I guess that outlook helped me keep on task with eating healthy things.

Also, I learned recently in Reader's Digect (backed up by a nutrionist) that you crave what you eat. For example, if you are always eating sweets, your body will crave them. If you are always eating fruit, your body will crave that. I found that after drinking the weight loss shakes on the pre-op diet 3-4 times per day, and having a healthy salad with balsamic vinagrette dressing, when my stomach was hungry I craved those shakes and salads with a vengeange. :-) So after the initial crossover to the healthier food and resisting my old eating habits for a few days, it actually became much easier than I expected. And if I got hungry after eating those things, I just drank water, and lots of it.

So here I am on the day after. I feel great, except for some abdominal discomfort. Yesterday the six of us who were to have the surgery were talking in the waiting area and getting acquainted. They called us back one by one, until only my daughter and me were left. I asked if we could go together, and they agreed. We were shown to our private rooms, our luggage was brought in for us, and we were asked to get into the gown provided. Fortunately it was a nice big gown, not the ones in most doctors' offices in which you have to decide which strip of skin you want to leave exposed. Everything came off, and when I asked about underwear, I got a blue thong made out of the same paper material. I was going to laugh at it, but if the choice was between wearing that thong or not wearing it, the choice was clear. So I put it on.

I was given 2 pills to dissolve under my tongue. One was a muscle relaxant so that not as much anesthesia would be needed in the OR, and the other was a small anesthetic prior to the surgery. I was asked to lay in bed while they took effect. Dr Ortiz was coming down the hall and stopping at each room to talk with each one undergoing the surgery. When he got to my daughter's room, the staff invited me to go there too and talk to him together, which I had asked for and appreciated. We had done a lot of research, so we did not have many questions. I just checked that we would be waking up in our own beds after surgery, and he said yes. I also asked him to show me where the port would be on me, and he did. It was about 2-3 inches above my waistline and 3 inches to the left of my belly button, which was great as I didn't want the port to be rubbing on my waistband of my clothes when I lose the weight. The port is inserted under skin that is not cut (inserted through a cut and slid over under the skin), so there is no scar tissue to block future fills.

Dr Ortiz told my daughter and I that we could be a great support system for each other. He said that it is my duty as her mom to help her keep eating right as she is younger, and when I get old and my head is filled with so many things that I become confused (with a wink to me), then it will be my daughter's duty to see that I am eating right and being cared for. I felt it was a lovely thing to say, and easily showed us both that this is a lifelong tool we will be using together. It empowered my daughter that she is not just following after me - this is her own personal journey and we are walking it together. We have both talked about that and felt that way already, so I liked the way he put it all in perspective.

When I got back to my room, the nurse attached an IV in my wrist (which was great - I hate it in the top of my hand) and added a few things to the saline drip, including an anticoagulant (to reduce the chance of stroke) and antibiotics. I laid in bed for awhile as people went by my door a few times. Because of the other anesthetic, I was in kind of a dreamy state, and did not mark the passage of time.

After a while, a nurse told me that my surgery was next, and that my daughter had just finished hers, and she was crying. I said, "CRYING? Why? I want to see her before my surgery!" They agreed and helped me go to her. They said she was crying becasue she was happy. I went in her room, and her face was covered with tears. I said, "Honey, what's wrong? Why are you crying? Are you OK?" She hugged me and said, "Mom, I am just so grateful. I am just so happy. I am so glad we did this." It brought tears to my eyes, and made me realize even more how difficult it had been for this sensitive soul to be locked away, literally weighted down in life by her body. I kissed her and hugged her and told her I was glad, too. She drifted off, and I left her to sleep.

The nurses wanted me to go into surgery next, so after a quick trip to the bathroom, we walked into the operating room together and I got up on the bed. The OR was very while and sterile and modern looking, and the equipment looked clean and new. The gowned people in the room looked kindly at me, and one nurse even came over to stroke my hair. I still was not nervous, since I had done my research on Dr Ortiz' credentials and verified that he was the one that actually did all of the surgeries at the clinic. I knew I was in good hands. My arms were strapped down to supportive, swinging arms on the side of the bed. Then the nurse who had stroked my hair said to take deep breaths and to fall asleep. It was very easy to do, and I felt very peaceful.

When I woke up, I felt like I had been punched in the gut, but with a lower degree of pain. I was sore and conscious of needing to move slowly. It wasn't as bad as when I had my gall bladder out several years ago, though. I used my sitting up method of slowly rolling to my side and walking my hands up the bed to a sitting position, rather than trying to use my abdominal muscles to do it. There was a popsicle coated in plastic there for me, which I sucked on a bit, and promptly fell back asleep. This wake-suck-sleep cycle continued for awhile, and I would actually wake up to find that I still had the popsicle in my hand. It was like a never-never-land, a kaleidoscope of images, changing whenever I opened my eyes. It wasn't scary, though, just kind of a blessing to fast-forward through the worst of the pain.

My daughter came to visit me...her surgery was before mine, so she had maybe an hour of receovery time on me. It was great to see her. She said she was doing fine, was just tired, and was going back to bed. Later, when I got my head back together, I went to the bathroom and visited her. I knew she was just a phone call away - all of the private rooms have phones that reach each other, and have unlimited calling privileges to anywhere in the US or Mexico. I called my husband and sons and best friend and sister, before and after the surgery. Not all at once, but as I could. I felt more connected. They all said that they were praying for us, and that was comforting and supportive, too. It's nice to have Internet access available there, too, to get my email and confirm my plane ticket and print the boarding pass for tomorrow.

The evening passed quietly in a loose cycle of sleeping, checking on my daughter, making phone calls, checking my email, sucking on a popsicle, walking as much as I could, my daughter checking on me, followed by sleeping again. They gave us all a sleeping pill at 10 pm and it was lights out.

My IV was taken out in the morning, and I graduated to drinking a cup of chicken broth, which tasted like ambrosia. They also offerred us Capri Sun and bottled water. The full juice strength of the Capri Sun made my stomach clench, and I preferred the popscicles or bottles water. They suggest mixing juices with water or in a blender with ice cubes at home.

The staff have all been wonderful. If they can't understand our questions in Engligh, they find someone who can to translate for us. They are all caring and professional. Everyone has to wear blue protective booties over their shoes in the clinic area (everywhere except the waiting room), which is strictly enforced in a very gracious way. We took a picture with Dr Ortiz before our surgeries, and a picture with several favorite nurses as we were leaving today.

This has been a travelogue of sorts - I've added to it as I felt up to it. I am now back at the lovely Hotel Lucerna, typing on the hotel's keyboard in the lobby, adding my voice to the others that I have read. The posts from people who had actually experienced this were SO helpful to me on my journey, especially from Chelle and a couple of others, so I hope this is helpful others as curious as I was. I know we have a long road ahead, and this is just a tool, but now I actually have a TOOL that I can use to help us get and stay healthy.

Today is the first day of the rest of my life - and my daughter's! And we are so excited! :D

Thank for the supportive posts! I appreciate that. And Becki, I remember you! We even talked in the waiting room about how great this forum was and how much it helped to read the posts. You were ready to leave and I was just going in. Thanks for your calm assurances - everyone in the waiting room breathed a sigh of relief at how chipper you were, because we knew it would be us in that position about 24 hours later! I hadn't read any for awhile before I left to have the surgery, so I just caught up on your posts and feel as if I know you better. :)

It has been going pretty well for my daughter and me. I have to say that it helps to do it together. There is actually quite a variety of things to choose from on the post-op liquid diet...at least I think so now, but I still have a few days to go! I put the liquid vitamins in my Gatorade, and pretty much trade off between jello, broth, and now a bit of liquid yoghurt, which I actually had not tried before. I am down another 3 pounds or so (I don't weigh every day but I got curious), and some of my clothes suddenly seem bigger.

Just before we left for Mexico, my daughter and I got in our bathing suits and took "Before" pictures of each other. It was hilarious fun doing it, as she posed with her sad face and slumped shoulders so her "After" picture would look that much better. She is a riot. I dropped the film off before we left, and I picked it up the day after we got back from Mexico. We looked them over together, and any doubt I had about possibly trying to lose more on my own instead of doing the surgery is now gone!!! We did front, side, and back angles, and they were eye-openers! My pictures shocked me and her pictures shocked her, but we both thought the other one really looked like that. We didn't recognize our own bodies...kind of like not recognizing your own voice on an answering machine. What is that saying..."Denial is not just a river in Egypt!"???

We are going to take a photo in the same suits and poses each month on the 29th of the month to mark our progress and keep ourselves motivated. I got the idea from a book, which also suggested taking measurements in certain places and tracking them to see progress when the scale doesn't show it, but I just couldn't do it. I think I didn't want to know. This will be a definate visual progression, though I think only my daughter and I will be seeing the photos for now!!

I'm so glad to see another family on here that was banded together! Mom, Sister and I were all banded in April and the support we give one another is invaluable. We discuss and cuss the band regularly! :lol: Isn't Dr. Ortiz just wonderful? I'm sure you will agree after meeting him he has the best bedside manner and you can just tell he is doing the work he was meant to do in life. The best advice I can give you is be kind to yourself during this transition phase, especially if you've used food for comfort and throw your scale in a closet and forget it .... weighing daily like I did is very demoralizing. Best wishes! Keep us posted. Chelley

Hey, Glad you are feeling so good. I feel great from surgery, and I'm glad I could help the people in the waiting room feel better.

Boy, swimsuit pictures are very telling aren't they. I did a triathlon a week before the surgery. They always take pictures. I didn't see them until we got home. WOW, shockingly bad. But I am going to order one, as a before picture. The trouble is, I'm not sure I will ever show anyone, even when I am at my goal. Way to embarassing. But I will look at it and be greatful for Dr. Ortiz, and all he did for me.

If I remember right, you are in Everett?? I am in Tacoma. I would love to get together some time. What a great thing you are doing for your daughter, not only to provide this surgery for her, but to walk it with her, and save her from more hard years. I wish my mom had known about this, or that it existed then (I feel old). How is your daughter? Is she doing as well as you? I wish I had a family member to do this with me. Unfortunately, I am the guinea pig in this one. They are all watching to see how I do. I am sure that Dr. Ortiz will be meeting two of them within the year. Thanks for sharing your story.

Becki

• 10 months later...