Canadian prospective bandster, looking for some help

Hi everyone,

My name is Shal and I am currently considering getting the lap band surgery done in Toronto, Canada. My question is this: I've read a lot of your posts about losing lots of weight, or not losing much at all. So I'm really confused. Would some of you mind replying to this post with a general sense of how long it's been since you were banded and how much weight you lost pre- and post-op? I know it's different for everyone, but I just want to get a sense of how others have responded to the band.

Thanks so much - reading your posts has brought me that much closer to making the decision to get the surgery done! :D

shal

Hello!

I was banded on August 28th. I weighed 303 before the pre-op diet, 286 the day of surgery and 275 today for a total of 28lbs in about 16 days! My pre-op diet was only 6 days long.

Wow - you lost 17 lbs in 6 days? What did your pre-op diet consist of?

shal

Wow - you lost 17 lbs in 6 days? What did your pre-op diet consist of?

shal

Shal,

Im not a big fan of the liquid shakes like slimfast and whatnot but I had for the first 4 days, 2 slimfasts per day and a salad with balsalmic vinagerette (small salad). Then on the 5th day I had only wonton soup and egg drop soup as i was feeling sick from the shakes but wanted to keep on liquids, then back to 2 shakes on the 6th day but with no salad. That seemed to work well for me but i've always been able to loose weight quickly.

Shal,

Im not a big fan of the liquid shakes like slimfast and whatnot but I had for the first 4 days, 2 slimfasts per day and a salad with balsalmic vinagerette (small salad). Then on the 5th day I had only wonton soup and egg drop soup as i was feeling sick from the shakes but wanted to keep on liquids, then back to 2 shakes on the 6th day but with no salad. That seemed to work well for me but i've always been able to loose weight quickly.

Hmm..the doctor I consulted here has suggested a two week pre-op diet of only low fat or non-fat cottage cheese and yogurt. Has anyone else tried this? Has it worked?

shal

Hi Shal,

Different doctors have different opinions for the pre-op diet, and how long you are on it will depend on your BMI. The purpose of the pre-op diet is two-fold, to help you lose weight (especially around your abdomen) but also to help shrink your liver, which makes the surgery safer for you and easier for the doctor. Our patients receive general information about the liquid diet for one week prior to surgery, but if they have a higher BMI (or a low BMI) then we have them speak directly with our nutritionist for specific pre-op diet instructions.