Should i do this!

Hi my name is shayne, im 28 years old and weigh nearly 500 pounds. i have only one question for you guys and gals. If im not 100% ready to get surgery, should i do it?

Why are you not 100% ready for surgergy? Just undecided? If your undecided, looks like your interested by finding this forum. What do you have to lose?

Beth

Hi Shayne,

Are you worried about missing your "friend" food? I know that's why I had second thoughts. I am only 1 week post-op and although I am not having a fun time on liquids, I am happy that I took this step. You really need to decide what you are worrying about and decide if it's a big enough worry to call it off. Good luck!

Karen

as im on this liquid diet to shrink my liver, im starting to realize how much my life is going to change. i also hear so many bad things about the lap band that i am just not sure if i should do it. i always wanted the gastric bypass but i have to settle for the lap band. the doc wont give anyone a bypass over 350 for some reason.

Shayne, check out the post "What to expect in TJ" and there is another newer one - I can't remember the name of the post. But another guy wrote about his whole experience. Don't be afraid! They take wonderful care of you. As for long-term risks.... The risk is far greater to remain morbidly obese. The band DOES work and complications are actually much lower than with bypass. The complications are rare in general! You have to remember that people come to forums to post when they are having problems or they are newbies. Think of the thousands of bandsters out there having total success. They don't show up as much on the boards. But I understand, it is a big step. Read more and do some more research, you could always postpone.

Best of luck Shayne !

Shayne, one more thing. The liquid diet isn't forever. Ideally, you are back on food in 3 weeks. You'll be surprised at how much easier the liquids are when you are post-op and have a little restriction!

as im on this liquid diet to shrink my liver, im starting to realize how much my life is going to change. i also hear so many bad things about the lap band that i am just not sure if i should do it. i always wanted the gastric bypass but i have to settle for the lap band. the doc wont give anyone a bypass over 350 for some reason.

Moulden:

I think being unsure just before surgery is normal. I know I was terrified and tried to talk myself out of it, but my husband reminded me why I was having the surgery and, yes, there could be side affects, but the pros out weighed the cons. After surgery, I really took a dive. My emotions were all over the place. I was disappointed in myself that I went to such an extreme in order to loose weight. I had surgery on the 22nd of August, and I'm feeling much better physically and emotionally.

Beth

Hi Shayne,

I always wanted the Lap Band, but if I have surgery at all I will have to settle for the bypass. I guess it just goes to show you that we don't always get what we want! :)

If I was in your position, I'd have the band - if it doesn't work for you or if you have problems, you can have it reversed at the same time that they do the bypass.

It's very natural and normal to have second thoughts about ANY elective surgical procedure. Your life will change and that is an uncomfortable thought - even if it changes for the better - because you are used to life the way it is now.

The decision, of course, is completely up to you. Examine your motives. Are you having the surgery for yourself or are you having it to please someone who thinks you should have it?

Yes, others have had complications, but far more people have had successes. Concentrate on those posts. People on this Board will support you every step of the way. so don't feel as if you will have to go it alone.

Whatever your decision, I wish you the best!

Linda

What have you heard bad about the lap band? Thats funny because I have found exactly the opposite and have heard nothing but good about the procedure.