Food help!

I know, I know.... I should post this in the post-op food forum. I'm afraid it won't get read fast enough, so here goes...

I am a little confused about the "mushies" stage. It looks like we don't get one?? I've read about that stage from another forum. The only thing I can see that we get is that between days 11-21, we can get soup that has no chunks, low fat, drinkable through a straw. Now, is Day 11 if I stayed on clear liquids a full 7 days, or should I adjust that Day 11 to Day 7 since I've moved to the yogurt stage?

I think I'll be ok if I can get to the soup stage. But when I do, can I take a soup like... say, chicken noodle, blend it up in a processor so there are no chunks, and eat it?

My surgery was 9/4. Right now, all I'm consuming is nonfat yogurt, juices, gatorade, and broth. Everything is staying down fine. When can I step it up?

Thanks, everyone!

Hi, James!

You are right, there is no mushie stage. I am not sure why, except maybe this is a time for best healing and more possible weight loss. It seems to me the tissue swelling needs to have a chance to go down without burdening the stomach to work on digestion.

Also, Dr. Ortiz did mention people not learning to eat properly. Perhaps folks get to the mushie stage with all the carbs and feel comfortable there. Mushie food could go through the band very easily and stop any progress in weight, and I suspect even stretch the newly formed pouch.

About a week and a half after being banded I thought my stomach would turn wrong side out. I was genuinely hungry. I e-mailed Dr. Miranda and she gave me an optional smoothie recipe. That was very helpful. I just couldn't face another cup of broth without gagging. I later went back and looked at the paper she gave me about the post-op diet. I had forgotten I could also have liquid shakes.

Dr. Miranda told me to "eat" tomato soup only. I never though tomato soup would taste so good. When I went to the store I mistakenly got all tomato soup and one tomato bisque. It was very good, but I was really cautious when sipping it.

I would encourage you to not eat the chicken noodles because of the reasons above. You are only fives days post-op. Believe me, you don't want to be throwing up this close to you surgery date. It is really scary. (I had a stomach virus with vomiting 15 days from surgery. I just got to start eating real food yesterday.) Nothing is going to taste good enough to jeopardize all you hard work and financial investment by causing you to have a slipped band.

If you cannot stand the diet any longer, e-mail Dr. Miranda. She was very helpful.

Good luck!

ladybug

I know, I know.... I should post this in the post-op food forum. I'm afraid it won't get read fast enough, so here goes...

I am a little confused about the "mushies" stage. It looks like we don't get one?? I've read about that stage from another forum. The only thing I can see that we get is that between days 11-21, we can get soup that has no chunks, low fat, drinkable through a straw. Now, is Day 11 if I stayed on clear liquids a full 7 days, or should I adjust that Day 11 to Day 7 since I've moved to the yogurt stage?

I think I'll be ok if I can get to the soup stage. But when I do, can I take a soup like... say, chicken noodle, blend it up in a processor so there are no chunks, and eat it?

My surgery was 9/4. Right now, all I'm consuming is nonfat yogurt, juices, gatorade, and broth. Everything is staying down fine. When can I step it up?

Thanks, everyone!

Hey James just wondering how you are doing, I am getting banded on Sept 22nd. How has the post op doet beem? I am a little nervous about that but I get telling myself just get past that, and then I be in high cotton feeling good. what you think? Dixie Darlin

Hey James just wondering how you are doing, I am getting banded on Sept 22nd. How has the post op doet beem? I am a little nervous about that but I get telling myself just get past that, and then I be in high cotton feeling good. what you think? Dixie Darlin

Hi DD-

Well, the diet has been tolerable, if not boring. I will say this: yesterday I started being able to add protein to my diet (30mg+). I started adding it to some homemade smoothies... and it SATISFIES! I've been full (almost too full) for a few hours. It's even helped the head hunger. However, no matter what I drink, it doesn't take much before I'm full, which tells me the band is on track to do its thing.

Having said that, tomorrow I can venture into liquidy soups. I have a favorite canned split pea soup that has no fat or dairy in it-- basically peas, water, and salt. Dr. Miranda ok'd it, so I'll be in pea (check the spelling: P-E-A) heaven!

Finally, I have to remind myself that I can put up with anything for a short period of time. I started to weigh myself daily, but stopped that habit since I know that, especially now, the point isn't really weight loss. It's healing post surgery.

Hmm... now that I think of it, maybe I've set up mini time targets, in this order:

1) Lose enough weight for surgery - CHECK

2) Have Surgery - CHECK

3) Get past first four days of clear liquids - CHECK

4) Get to soup threshold - 1 day left

5) Get to solid meals - 11 days away

6) Get to first fill - approx 35 days away

Yeah, I can do that.

Best of luck to you!