Tons of general questions

hi,

I'm 24. 5'8'' and 210 lbs. I have a low BMI right now but weight has been such an issue for me for my entire life and my body has so many physical injuries that this BMI is way too much for my body. My hip aches constantly from the weight and my ankle throbs. I can't even begin to enjoy moving around and exercising. If I have a lower BMI (31 mine is) can I still qualify for suergery with the Obesity Control Center?

Can someone give me a general ballpark of how much the entire cost is for surgery, travel, etc? I know that because I'm not 300 lbs+ that my health insurance wont cover it so I've got to figure out another way to cover the costs. I don't really want to get into high-interest financing either, I'm pretty weary of such things.

I heard from someone who had this surgery that fruits and vegetables are pretty much impossible to eat after having the bypass, is this true? tomatos, strawberries, pineapple, carrots? Is this with certain people who don't slowly reintroduce these foods to their new lifestyles that have issues with them? Or are these types of foods pretty much forever off limits?

I like the idea of eating naturally and organically but I don't know how I'd do that if I couldn't eat fruits and veggies because as much as I now eat chocolate and carbs, I love fruits and veggies too. I just eat the carbs and chocolate far more now. ugh! I'm a vegetarian too because I detest meat. Would what I be able to eat not work for me?

How do you guys go and get adjustments and fixes if you don't live in Mexico? Doesn't that cost way too much money for the average person? I am a person who makes $14 an hour while I go to school to get my RN. I really can't afford this but my body pain and the constant yo-yo dieting and everyday obsession is driving me insane.

Thanks for your help.

~Rain

hi,

I'm 24. 5'8'' and 210 lbs. I have a low BMI right now but weight has been such an issue for me for my entire life and my body has so many physical injuries that this BMI is way too much for my body. My hip aches constantly from the weight and my ankle throbs. I can't even begin to enjoy moving around and exercising. If I have a lower BMI (31 mine is) can I still qualify for suergery with the Obesity Control Center?

Can someone give me a general ballpark of how much the entire cost is for surgery, travel, etc? I know that because I'm not 300 lbs+ that my health insurance wont cover it so I've got to figure out another way to cover the costs. I don't really want to get into high-interest financing either, I'm pretty weary of such things.

I heard from someone who had this surgery that fruits and vegetables are pretty much impossible to eat after having the bypass, is this true? tomatos, strawberries, pineapple, carrots? Is this with certain people who don't slowly reintroduce these foods to their new lifestyles that have issues with them? Or are these types of foods pretty much forever off limits?

I like the idea of eating naturally and organically but I don't know how I'd do that if I couldn't eat fruits and veggies because as much as I now eat chocolate and carbs, I love fruits and veggies too. I just eat the carbs and chocolate far more now. ugh! I'm a vegetarian too because I detest meat. Would what I be able to eat not work for me?

How do you guys go and get adjustments and fixes if you don't live in Mexico? Doesn't that cost way too much money for the average person? I am a person who makes $14 an hour while I go to school to get my RN. I really can't afford this but my body pain and the constant yo-yo dieting and everyday obsession is driving me insane.

Thanks for your help.

~Rain

WELCOME RAIN!!!

I'LL START WITH ANSWERING A FEW THEN LET SOMEONE ELSE CHIME IN AS I'M STILL LEARNING AS I GO HERE.

I HAD A BMI OF 31.7 WHEN I WENT IN. TOTAL COST FOR SURGERY WITHOUT AIRFARE WAS 8,500. I'VE FOUND A LOCAL PLACE TO GET FILLS DONE BUT I'M GOING BACK TO MEXICO FOR THE FIRST SEVERAL AS I FEEL PRETTY COMFORTABLE THERE. MY HUBBY WORKS FOR AN AIRLINE SO FLIGHTS BACK DOWN, AREN'T A PROBLEM.

WHERE ARE YOU AT?

I'M FAIRLY NEW INTO THIS BUT I HAVEN'T HAD ANY PROBLEMS WITH ANY FRUITS OR VEGGIES SO FAR :)

GOOD LUCK TO YOU, IT'S A BIG DECISION BUT ONE I'D MAKE AGAIN IN A HEART BEAT

If I have a lower BMI (31 mine is) can I still qualify for suergery with the Obesity Control Center?

Yes, you can still have surgery with a low BMI. However, you should read the posts written by those banded with a low BMI on this site and check out lapbandtalk.com. A lot of times those with a low BMI loose their weight much slower and it can sometimes be a frustrating process.

Can someone give me a general ballpark of how much the entire cost is for surgery, travel, etc?

Surgical cost can be anywhere from $8,500 to $10,000 at the OCC. Earlier this year they were promoting the openning of their new clinic and had the surgery listed at the lower price. This fee includes your hotel stay at the Lucerna Hotel in TJ. Air fare and other travel expenses are not included. My airline tickets cost $350-$400 round trip non-stop flight to San Deigo.

This is not "bypass surgery". Lapband placement is a laprossopic procedure where a band is secured around the upper part of the stomach and a port is brought up under the surface of the skin to access it for "fills" to make it tighter (or looser in some cases). It is completely adjustable. There is no part of the gastrointestinal tract that is bypassed. I can eat salads just fine as well as the aboved mentioned foods with the exception of fresh pineapple (it can be too fiberous).

I'm a vegetarian too because I detest meat. Would what I be able to eat not work for me?

I have a problem eating meats since I've been banded. You must be able to eat soilds though for the band to work properly and I'm not sure this can be accomplished on a strict vegetarian diet. This would certainly be a question for the doctor you choose to consult with. I know Dr. Ortiz and his colleagues are willing to set up a telephone conference call through their patient coordinators to help answer you questions pre-band.

A lot of engery and effort goes into making this life changing decision to have surgery, but one thing I've learned since being banded is the surgery is actually the easy part. I hear you, I too work pay check to pay check and the aftercare is something you really need to budget for. You can go back to TJ and get your fills done at the OCC at the tune of airline fee, hotel fee, and the cost of the fill under x-ray at the office there or you can find a bariatric surgeon in your area who does aftercare for patients banded in Mexico. It is only my opinion, but I can't see why anyone would risk their band and not be filled under x-ray. A blind stick is just way to scary and heck, they have a difficult enough time accessing under x-ray sometimes! The cost of fills under x-ray can be anywhere from $100-400 from what I'm reading on the boards. I had my first fill in TJ then choose a radiology group in Paris, TX for my last 2 fills. My last two fills were $350 each. My current perdicament is that Dr. Ortiz feels my band is too tight. This business of getting your fills just right is madenning, but that is a different story. He wants me to fly back down to TJ, have a complete unfill, let the band rest for several weeks then start over with the fills. Hello - working girl here! I can't afford it. So, plan, plan, plan ahead and just know that surgery is step ONE .... it's a long road.

Chelley

Hello Rain,

I know that Dr. Ortiz would do your surgery. For me, the surgery was $8500, airfare $230, the cost of several fills, which will bring it up to about $10,000, I am guessing. I also didn't want to have high interest loans. My husband is a teacher, working on his Masters, and I am a stay at home mom, so we got a student loan through Sallie Mae. You might check into student loans to pay for this also, they have better repayment plans for someone in school, like deferments.

I am still on the post-op diet after banding a few weeks ago, so I have not had solid foods, but from what I understand, a few fruits and veggies can be difficult, those that are very fibrous, but most are fine. You should be very careful being a vegetarian to get enough protein, as I'm sure you already are.

You mentioned in your post something about eating after the bypass. The surgery that most of us here have had, or are having, is not gastric bypass, but lapband surgery. I don't know if that was just a mistake or if you were uncertain. The results long term are similar, but how much you eat, and how fast you lose the weight is different, as are many other things.

Becki

I'm pre-op, but honestly, I don't think you will have any problems being a veggie and being banded. Being vegetarian is not all about fruits and vegetables. You can eat boca burgers and soy cheese, soy chicken nuggets, etc. I'm very familiar with these as I rarely eat meat and when I do, it's only white meat or shellfish.

I have IBS already, so I have the same problems a lot of people with the bypass have - can't eat raw fruits and veggies very well and whole grains cause a lot of pain. That is why I was so excited to find out about the band.

A lot of people do have problems with breads and pasta (carbs) post-op. I think because they are "gooey" foods and tend to swell and block the band. So that is something to keep in mind. I think you should still be able to do beans though.

hi,

Thanks for your help.

~Rain

Hi Rain,

Feel free to give me a call for more information about the band and the costs. As you can see, we have great people on the forum that have given you some great information! If you'd like me to email you some general information, just call or email me and I'd be happy to send you something.