Surgery with Dr. Ortiz

I just wanted to tell people who are nervous about going to TJ and having a lapband, my experience.

I went to Dr. Ortiz on Sept. 4 to have a lapband placed.

Now, my anatomy is a little messed up. My stomach is on the wrong side. My appendix were in the middle ect. so, I had a phone consultation with him first and told him my stomach was on the wrong side. He said it didn't matter and when he got in there with the camera he would see everything and just place it . The thing is, when he got in there, he discovered my main arteries were to close to my somach and he said it would not be safe to put it on because it might rub the arteries and over time cause them to burst and I'd bleed to death in minutes. Of course this is a very unusual problem but my point is that Dr. Ortiz is very honest obviously, and good at what he does.

While I was really sad I couldn't have it, I was glad he was honest. And I couldn't believe that they refunded almost all of my money.

My husband said they had me in there almost 2 hours so I am very impressed that they only kept around$400. for hotel and some testing. I don't believe a doctor in the US would ever do that. Anyway I think Dr. Ortiz is a caring, honest Doctor and I'm thankful to him for not putting my life in danger.

Hi Jennifer,

I can't have the Lap Band either. :( What a bummer to do all of the research and then have your own anatomy be the cause!!

What is your plan now? I was told that I can have the roux-en-y, but I have an aversion to having my anatomy re-routed. For now, I've joined Weight Watchers - again. I decided that I will give myself six months and if my resolve to lose the weight and keep it off is waning, I'll rethink the roux-en-y.

Best of luck to you!

Linda

I just wanted to tell people who are nervous about going to TJ and having a lapband, my experience.

I went to Dr. Ortiz on Sept. 4 to have a lapband placed.

Hi Jennifer. Yeah, we were all feeling for you... especially after the build-up anticipating the surgery, and having to be under for two hours.

I'm glad you have the right attitude, and I wish you all the best!

Hi Jennifer,

Thanks for posting your experience. I was banded on Sept. 6th and remember reading about your two hour surgery in a different post. I am sorry that you were unable to have the band.

I would agree with you that Dr. Ortiz and Dr. Martinez are the ultimate professionals and the clinic is top of the line. My experience was far better then any experience I have had in the US.

Good luck with your weight loss, I hope you find something that will work. Thanks again for sharing your experience.