Band Discouragement & Frustration

I'm feeling very frustrated with my band experience, and I'm hoping someone can relate and share their experience to help encourage me!

I was banded early July, first fill of 3.5cc mid-Aug. (had lost 23lbs at that point), after eating my first meal (after the 3 day liquid diet post-fill) I felt no restriction whatsoever. Spoke with Dr. Ramirez, then Dr. Ortiz and Dr. Martinez. Dr. Ortiz had me email him a food journal of what I had been eating. He was going to go over it with Dr. Miranda and get back to me, but I never heard a word from either of them about the matter (disappointing)...a week after my surgery, I left a message for Dr. Ortiz at the office, but he had never returned that call either, come to think of it. Fortunately, I was able to search out many answers/suggestions via this forum--thank you.

I've hit a disappointing plateau, have not lost any weight since my first fill, and still feel no restriction whatsoever. I am travelling back to Mexico tomorrow for my second fill. Feel very glum about what to expect from this second fill...I don't want to get my hopes up and be disappointed when I get home and perhaps, see no progress.

I know we need to find the sweet spot, but I'm worried that I feel NO restriction...why wouldn't I have at least SOME restriction with the band itself, let alone a 3.5 cc fill?!

I'm not questioning whether this was a crazy thing to do, if I just flushed 10G in the toilet, and how embarrassed I will be if this, too, fails to help me slim down.

I'm so bummed...

No worries...I had a similar experience with my first fill. It took me two fills to get to a good restriction and to where I began to lose weight again. Remember they said that sometimes the first fill is a bit goofy...air or something can get in on the first time and the fill might actually go down a bit? My first fill was 2.0 cc and when I went in for my second fill, I was told there was only 1.0 cc in there. It was put up to 2.5 cc, and viola...restriction and weight loss! Keep your chin up...you most definitely didn't throw your money down the drain! Good Luck!!

Hang in there cuz u have the bigger band and most likely will need several fills to get it right. unfortunately the surgery is the easy part of this journey - the fills are the key and the most complicated to get right. i'm on my fourth with one unfill and just starting to feel restriction. the band can not do it all so even when not restricted you need to keep up the eating, exercising, stuff. good luck

Hi JFleming :)

Let me know if you'd like me to schedule a conference call with Dr. Ortiz. I'm sorry you didn't hear back from him, things have been busy. I'd be happy to schedule that for you, just let me know. You can email me at lori@obesitycontrolcenter.com. You can also call or email Dr. Miranda, or call me anytime.

He was going to go over it with Dr. Miranda and get back to me, but I never heard a word from either of them about the matter (disappointing)...a week after my surgery, I left a message for Dr. Ortiz at the office, but he had never returned that call either, come to think of it.

I can't say anything about the band itself, as I'm still pre-op, but as for the phone calls, it pays to be a pain in the behind. If you don't hear back from someone in a reasonable amount of time (say, 24 hours in a non-emergency) then call back! Tell them this is your 2nd (or 3rd or 4th) phone call. Become such a pain that they know your voice when they answer the phone.

Trust me, you WILL get called back! I do that to my regular doctor all the time. So many people take phone messages and they get routed to different people, that sometimes they get lost before the doctor ever sees it.

But if you need answers you aren't getting, be persistent in your quest. Don't wait to see if they ever return your call, you pick up that phone and hit redial as many times as necessary to get the answers.

I can't say anything about the band itself, as I'm still pre-op, but as for the phone calls, it pays to be a pain in the behind. If you don't hear back from someone in a reasonable amount of time (say, 24 hours in a non-emergency) then call back! Tell them this is your 2nd (or 3rd or 4th) phone call. Become such a pain that they know your voice when they answer the phone.

Trust me, you WILL get called back! I do that to my regular doctor all the time. So many people take phone messages and they get routed to different people, that sometimes they get lost before the doctor ever sees it.

But if you need answers you aren't getting, be persistent in your quest. Don't wait to see if they ever return your call, you pick up that phone and hit redial as many times as necessary to get the answers.

Don't be in too big of a hurry to get restriction. You have to go up slowly or you will be in a world of PAIN!! :o I just got my third fill and was feeling much like you but now I have restriction and can no longer eat my beloved bread. :blink: I had a rough couple of days and could only get down liquids. The good news is I have lost 5lbs in a week! :rolleyes:

I'm feeling very frustrated with my band experience, and I'm hoping someone can relate and share their experience to help encourage me!

I was banded early July, first fill of 3.5cc mid-Aug. (had lost 23lbs at that point), after eating my first meal (after the 3 day liquid diet post-fill) I felt no restriction whatsoever. Spoke with Dr. Ramirez, then Dr. Ortiz and Dr. Martinez. Dr. Ortiz had me email him a food journal of what I had been eating. He was going to go over it with Dr. Miranda and get back to me, but I never heard a word from either of them about the matter (disappointing)...a week after my surgery, I left a message for Dr. Ortiz at the office, but he had never returned that call either, come to think of it. Fortunately, I was able to search out many answers/suggestions via this forum--thank you.

I've hit a disappointing plateau, have not lost any weight since my first fill, and still feel no restriction whatsoever. I am travelling back to Mexico tomorrow for my second fill. Feel very glum about what to expect from this second fill...I don't want to get my hopes up and be disappointed when I get home and perhaps, see no progress.

I know we need to find the sweet spot, but I'm worried that I feel NO restriction...why wouldn't I have at least SOME restriction with the band itself, let alone a 3.5 cc fill?!

I'm not questioning whether this was a crazy thing to do, if I just flushed 10G in the toilet, and how embarrassed I will be if this, too, fails to help me slim down.

I'm so bummed...

J

Hi there I met you in the lobby the day of your fill with my friend Dixie Darlin. We were both banded on Friday and have returned home and back to work and so far so good. Just wondering if your weight loss has resumed since your fill?

I'm so bummed...

You are freaking out waaaaay too soon. I have the smaller band but did not get much restriction with my first fill either. I was filled in KC to avoid the expense of airfare and time off from work to travel. It is NOT unusual not to have much restriction until the 2nd FILL. So hang in there and please don't be disappointed yet.

Keep us updated on your progress.

Kay in St Jo Mo