Lost cc

Hello all,

Well I got my second fill on Monday. Neither of my fills were in Mexico due to costs. However the fill doctor is excellent (although he doesn't actually do the fills).

I got a 10 cc VG band from Dr. Ortiz on April 28th. ABout 6 weeks later I got my first fill of 3.8 cc from Dr. Neal in Olympia, WA.

Three months after that fill I have lost only 3 lbs so I went for a second fill.

There was only .6 cc in the band. The fill technician said I was basically unrestricted.

She put in an additional 2.2 cc. for a total of 2.8 cc.

Has anyone else lost fluid in their band like this? Does the band leak?

I can go back within 2 weeks get a re-adjustment for a reduced cost. Unless I feel exactly right about my restriction, I'm sure I will go back.

Haven't had the band yet so I can't speak to loosing fluid. Could you post contact information for Dr Neal? Also what did it cost for him to do the fill? I live in Gig Harbor so if there is someone within driving distance for fills I would like to conisder it.

Thanks

Marc,

The way it was explained to me before my first fill was this: The first fill is always a bit goofy. Air can get in with the fluid, and so while you may start with 2.0 cc (like I did), its not unusual for it to go down to 1.0 cc (which mine did) by the second fill. After that first fill, I haven't had any problems maintaining the fluid level in the band. I have the 4 cc band and have been at 2.5 cc for a couple of months. Keep your chin up...I think the first couple of months of this are the hardest...

Good Luck,

Kris

It's not so much that air gets in with the fluid as there is already some trapped air in the band. After your first fill, pressure is increased and the air my start to push out of the band, leaving you less full. And, yes, it may take a little bit of the liquid with it as it escapes. But after the air is released from the band you shouldn't have much of a problem sustaining your fill level.

Marc,

The way it was explained to me before my first fill was this: The first fill is always a bit goofy. Air can get in with the fluid, and so while you may start with 2.0 cc (like I did), its not unusual for it to go down to 1.0 cc (which mine did) by the second fill. After that first fill, I haven't had any problems maintaining the fluid level in the band. I have the 4 cc band and have been at 2.5 cc for a couple of months. Keep your chin up...I think the first couple of months of this are the hardest...

Good Luck,

Kris

It was most likely air in the band. That can happen on new bands even though they try to remove any air in the band during placement, and once the air dissipates after your fill, you might find you have less restriction.

It can take longer to hit that "sweet spot" with the VG band, but you'll get there :)

Haven't had the band yet so I can't speak to loosing fluid. Could you post contact information for Dr Neal? Also what did it cost for him to do the fill? I live in Gig Harbor so if there is someone within driving distance for fills I would like to conisder it.

Thanks

DR NEAL IN OLYMPIA, DR FOX IN TACOMA AND FILLS NORTHWEST IN THE ARLINGTON PHARMACY WILL DO FILLS FOR MX BANDSTERS.

DR NEALS RUNS 350 UNDER FLUORO, DR FOX, "BLIND FILLS" RUNS 400.00 FOR YOUR FIRST VISIT AND 224.00 THERE AFTER. ARLINGTON PHARMACY RUNS, "BLIND FILLS" 150.00 AND 125.00 THERE AFTER

(I GOT THESE PRICES ABOUT A MONTH AGO SO I'M NOT SURE HOW ACCURATE THEY ARE NOW)

At the time of my second fill, the doctor could only aspirate 0.5ml of fluid. My first fill was 2.8ml. Let me tell you, I was FREAKED and thought my band was leaking. A bariatric surgeon responded to my frantic post on lapbandtalk.com and explained that with the VG inner band being made up by segments that air can get trapped inside. Fluid from the first fill bascially "primes" the band. Think about turning the the outdoor water faucet on ... how much fluid does it take to fill the water hose? Anyway, I was assured by the baratric surgeon on lapbandtalk that this is perfectly normal and that once the air is displaced the fill levels should remain stable.

Chelley

[

DR NEALS RUNS 350 UNDER FLUORO,

First, let me say thank you for all of the responces. I absolutely feel better about this loss of 3.2 cc.

Dr. Neal's office will do a re-adjustment with in one or two weeks for $150. The URL for his practice is http://www.pacsurgical.com/

I just don't know know how anyone can do a "blind fill." It seemed that the floro machine was an irreplaceable part of the procedure. The tech, and I, could see the liquid go through the stoma. When it was too tight she backed some out.

Once again, Thanks

NWMarc