pain question

I had the exact same pain. It is gas. And it hurts!!!! A couple of things that help, walking really helped me. I live on a short dead end street. By the time I walk to the end (.1 mile) and back, I have belched and feel much, much better. I know my neighbors must think I am nuts, but what is new. The other thing that really helps me is my husband massaging it for about 3 minutes. He is the only one that can make it go away, but it helps sooooo much. I can't do it for myself, but he can.

For me, the gas was the worst the first week, it tappered off. But now, I find that if I drink too much too fast, I get that pain again. It is hard to not gulp down water. But I will learn. I get that pain much less often now though. But I am just 5 weeks post-op.

Hope that helps. Walk, Walk, Walk!

Becki

I had the exact same pain. It is gas. And it hurts!!!! A couple of things that help, walking really helped me. I live on a short dead end street. By the time I walk to the end (.1 mile) and back, I have belched and feel much, much better. I know my neighbors must think I am nuts, but what is new. The other thing that really helps me is my husband massaging it for about 3 minutes. He is the only one that can make it go away, but it helps sooooo much. I can't do it for myself, but he can.

For me, the gas was the worst the first week, it tappered off. But now, I find that if I drink too much too fast, I get that pain again. It is hard to not gulp down water. But I will learn. I get that pain much less often now though. But I am just 5 weeks post-op.

Hope that helps. Walk, Walk, Walk!

Becki

Hi Becki, Thanks for the info. I have not been able to belch one time. It is like it is all still just stuck in my stomach. It does come and go though. Thanks Paige

I have gotten pretty good at belching. It is rather gross, but my kids are very impressed. I can't imagine not being able to burp it out though. I am so sorry. You might watch what you drink though, how much and how fast, and see if that makes any difference. For me, that is the key.

Good luck.

Becki

Hi I am just 5 days post op and I still have a pain in my left shoulder and it hurts to take a deep breath.

Please tell me this is normal and this will not last forever. THANKS!! Paige

Hi Paige:

I still have pain in my shoulder also, I guess we should have walked the halls more to get rid of the gas from our stomach's being inflated during surgery. The doctors try to push it all out but..... It will get better, hang in there. Are you doing okay otherwise? Deb

Hi Paige:

I still have pain in my shoulder also, I guess we should have walked the halls more to get rid of the gas from our stomach's being inflated during surgery. The doctors try to push it all out but..... It will get better, hang in there. Are you doing okay otherwise? Deb

Hey! Yes I am doing well other that that. How is your port site? I am just ready to feel normal again!!

It will all be worth it in the end!! Paige

Hey! Yes I am doing well other that that. How is your port site? I am just ready to feel normal again!!

It will all be worth it in the end!! Paige

Hi Paige:

I am concerned about my port. I was sitting on my bed with my laptop last night and all of a sudden it was like I had something alive inside me it felt like something moved and flipped. I am getting ready to email the doc. The site has had more discomfort than it had.

Yeah, me too, I am ready to have at least the liquid phase behind us :) Have you lost any weight? I have lost 15 lbs!! That is a ton for me in less than a week.

Bye for now,

Deb

Hi Paige:

I am concerned about my port. I was sitting on my bed with my laptop last night and all of a sudden it was like I had something alive inside me it felt like something moved and flipped. I am getting ready to email the doc. The site has had more discomfort than it had.

Yeah, me too, I am ready to have at least the liquid phase behind us :) Have you lost any weight? I have lost 15 lbs!! That is a ton for me in less than a week.

Bye for now,

Deb

Hey Deb, I hope your port is OK keep me in touch. Knock on wood I woke up this morning and the shoulder pain and ribcage pain was gone. I just hope it stays gone!! I have lost 11 lbs Yippie!!

Keep me up to date on your port ! Paige

the port site will remain tender longer than any other site for your surgery. Not only is it the largest incision, it also goes through the most tugging and pulling during surgery, and... there is a foreign object stitched down in there. My port site bothered me until about week 4 or 5. Not painful so much as a pain :)

Lori,

This might be a really dumb question, but how do they pick where they put your port site? The reason I ask is that I am super duper ticklish and am a little bit afraid that I won't be able to stay still when they get within 3 inches of my skin during a port fill unless it's placed in a less ticklish spot!!!

the port site will remain tender longer than any other site for your surgery. Not only is it the largest incision, it also goes through the most tugging and pulling during surgery, and... there is a foreign object stitched down in there. My port site bothered me until about week 4 or 5. Not painful so much as a pain :)

• 2 weeks later...

I am having a very hard time passing the gas. My shoulder hurts off and on all day. I have had a constant chest pain for the last 2 days. I am 6 days post-op. I have found when I drink/eat anything that fills my tummy, the gas shifts to my shoulder. Is this normal? I walk alot during the day so I know that's not the problem. I'm just so scared to have my band slip or any other bad things happen. I'm careful with my food and drinks. I'm not eating solid food, so don't worry about that. I guess you could say "mushies". haha

Anyone have any suggestions or is this a doctor question?

I am having a very hard time passing the gas. My shoulder hurts off and on all day. I have had a constant chest pain for the last 2 days. I am 6 days post-op. I have found when I drink/eat anything that fills my tummy, the gas shifts to my shoulder. Is this normal? I walk alot during the day so I know that's not the problem. I'm just so scared to have my band slip or any other bad things happen. I'm careful with my food and drinks. I'm not eating solid food, so don't worry about that. I guess you could say "mushies". haha

Anyone have any suggestions or is this a doctor question?

I'm 16 days post-op and I still get a few gas pains here and there, but after the first week they had dropped off signifigantly. The secret for me is learning how to purposly burp, and be sure I do after eating and drinking. I envy boys in this respect - burping comes so easily to them!

I'm almost 3 months post op and I am happy to say that the gas pains are gone. I think each of us experience it differently. I had it too, in my shoulder, for about a month and a half. I also found that jogging on the treadmill made it worse during that time. Maybe doing some simple weight lifting? My trainer had me doing some arm and back exercises at the gym during post op time and it seemed to help. I did however stay away from any of the ab work. Three months post op, I can jog and work on the exercise ball. Just one problem....I'm not doing it enough :(

[The gas pains from surgery should dissipate pretty quickly (I'm no doc but my guess within the first week or so) After that, pain in the shoulder MAY be referred pain from the diaphram/esophogus etc from drinking too fast. I had pain for months after dinner only to learn it wasn't gas (even tho burping would help) but OVEREATING. you need to sip super slow and if at the eating stage, chew and wait between bites and definitely stop long long before you feel full. you will never (or at least shouldn't) ever feel full again after banding - in fact if you feel full - within the next 20 minutes you will be hurting - it takes at least that long to feel it.