pre-op diet tips

Hi all

I am wondering if any of you can provide tips for dealing with fatigue due to the preop diet. I am a student and my grades are really important as I am applying for grad school next year. The preop diet is causing me to have general fatigue and lack of attention which is a real problem over the next couple of weeks (finals). I'm scheduled for surgery on Dec 15 and still have about 9 pounds (from 14 to loose).

Any tips on dealing with the distraction of constant hunger and fatigue? BTW I am taking vitamin suplements and fiber capsules. Thankfully fatigue won't be an issue post op as I have over 3 weeks off.

Thanks

Louise

How much protein are you getting in? That could have a huge impact on your fatigue and lack of attentiveness.

Louise

Welcome to the forum! Be sure you are getting enough protein in your diet. Try protein shakes.. make sure then are not loaded with sugar and carbs (slimfast) I love the EAS shakes.. 110 calories.. 2grams carbs.. low sugar.. there are MANY on the market.. sugar will give you a temp high then a crash. Let us know how youare doing.

Mindy

Louise

Welcome to the forum! Be sure you are getting enough protein in your diet. Try protein shakes.. make sure then are not loaded with sugar and carbs (slimfast) I love the EAS shakes.. 110 calories.. 2grams carbs.. low sugar.. there are MANY on the market.. sugar will give you a temp high then a crash. Let us know how youare doing.

Mindy

Thanks Mindy

I think Slimfast might be the problem but the one I have is fairly low carb (low protein too though). I was just telling my friend today that I think the inventor of slimfast should be shot and that I would NEVER use it again. I think I will switch it up a bit and add some egg whites (cooked) to my diet as well since I don't love protein shakes.

Thanks again for the feedback

Louise

Thanks Mindy

I think Slimfast might be the problem but the one I have is fairly low carb (low protein too though). I was just telling my friend today that I think the inventor of slimfast should be shot and that I would NEVER use it again. I think I will switch it up a bit and add some egg whites (cooked) to my diet as well since I don't love protein shakes.

Thanks again for the feedback

Louise

Don't give up on "protein drinks". There are so many pre-made ones that are very good. I went to a place and bought one of each of like 3 or 4 types to try and found the premier ones with 30gm protein and 1 gram sugar. I get them at Costco. But another route to try is powdered protein. I have found the best for me to be EAS whey protein. I make a delicious breakfast "smoothie using my favorite orange juice/mango/pineapple or whatever juice and put the vanilla protein powder in it with some ice. Shake it up and it's like an Orange julius. I would urge you to experiment and find something you like before your surgery because you really will depend on these after the clear liquid phase to help with protein intake.

Welcome and best of luck