Questions about my long flight home..

Hey everybody!! I was just wondering if any of the banders out there can give me some advice for my long

flight home.. My flight is about 7 or 8 hours (with layover) and I was wondering what I should expect..

What will I drink on the flight home?? Should I stick to just water or can I bring some of the mixes you

can put into water?? Also, will I be in any pain and should I bring liquid pain meds just in case?? Honestly,

I thought about bringing along some Xanax to take right before my flight so I can go to sleepy town and not

have to worry about anything!! :P Will I be able to swallow pills right after surgery?? Oh yea, that leads me

to another question?? (sorry so many) Does your body metabolize meds differently after surgery?? Since

your stomach is smaller I just wondered if there is an increased chance for stomach probs with certain meds??

I've also been wondering about your appetite in the first few days after surgery??

Does your appetite automatically stop as soon as you have the surgery, or should I expect to be ravished

for a while afterward??

I've read so many of these forums and I have got such good advice and tips on what to expect and

what to do make this experience really work for me.. I hope that I can help somebody after I'm banded

too!! Thanks for all the advice you can give me!!

Hi, when are you having your surgery? I have a four hour flight home. I had asked the same questions as you and hopefully some of those that answered mine will reply to yours. I am being banded Monday, Yay. From what I have been told it will be uncomfortable but doable.

I guess we are given some pain meds when we go back to the motel. One person said that we can get more across the street at a pharmacy for the ride home.

We are able to get the water at the airport from one of the vendors after we go through check in. My layover is only 29 min. so I won't have much time to walk and stretch out. It may help you having the layover to be able to do a little walking.

Knowing the wonderful ladies on this sight, I am sure that you will get some experienced advice soon.

Good Luck! Let us know what is going on. Anne

Hey everybody!! I was just wondering if any of the banders out there can give me some advice for my long

flight home.. My flight is about 7 or 8 hours (with layover) and I was wondering what I should expect..

What will I drink on the flight home?? Should I stick to just water or can I bring some of the mixes you

can put into water?? Also, will I be in any pain and should I bring liquid pain meds just in case?? Honestly,

I thought about bringing along some Xanax to take right before my flight so I can go to sleepy town and not

have to worry about anything!! :P Will I be able to swallow pills right after surgery?? Oh yea, that leads me

to another question?? (sorry so many) Does your body metabolize meds differently after surgery?? Since

your stomach is smaller I just wondered if there is an increased chance for stomach probs with certain meds??

I've also been wondering about your appetite in the first few days after surgery??

Does your appetite automatically stop as soon as you have the surgery, or should I expect to be ravished

for a while afterward??

I've read so many of these forums and I have got such good advice and tips on what to expect and

what to do make this experience really work for me.. I hope that I can help somebody after I'm banded

too!! Thanks for all the advice you can give me!!

I recommend the Wylers broth granules this way, you can ask the fight attendant for hot water & you can have your broth. You can also have apple juice, grape juice, but you want to only have half juice and have water (diluted right after surgery). The pain is not bad, however your port will get sore especially sitting for long periods. So, on the plane, get up and walk or atleast stand when you can. You can swallow pills after surgery, I have had 1 fill so far 1cc and I can still swallow a capsule. Obviously, you don't want to swallow the horse pills! lol I was not hungry at all. The broths and juices satisfied me. It was not until the creamy soup stage that my hunger kicked in. I doubt you will need anything for pain, but I had liquid cherry tylenol just in case. The meds they give you at the OCC melt under your tongue and work great! Ask them if you can buy more! They should have extra for you to buy, you will need them during your first couple weeks. Anyway, i hope this helps, just speaking from my experiences, Obviously, you may be different. But, I wouldnt worry too much! You will do great!

Hi, my travel home took 21 hours after surgery. The main thing you are going to want to make sure you get are some calories throughout the day. If you have a layover then try and find some place in the airport where you can get some soup broth, (only broth), and go for Gatorade or Powerade, and then on top of that drink water. Using your crystal light packets are fine. You can also have juice but you will want to only do half juice, half water. If you do all that you should be fine.

As far as the medication goes, it is not that it metabolizes differently, its that it has to be small enough to go through the stoma to the lower stomach. Depending on your pain tolerance, you probably will not be that uncomfortable. They give you 4 toradol to take home for pain. You will take one pill and let it dissolve under your tongue every 12 hours. For the most part it should hold you over. You can also bring some liquid Tylenol if you need something extra for pain.

Good luck and safe travels,

Dawn

I had some broth at the hotel before I left for the airport. Once I got through security... I was sure to get some water and gatorade. On the plane I got water with lots of ice. I didn't use any mixes at all during the flight home. I was too tired to mess with it... I was just sure to keep hydrated. I left the hotel at 7:00 am PST and didn't walk in my door until 10:00 pm MST. You will be given pain meds when you leave the OCC and they dissolve under the tongue. You might sleep on the plane... you will have just had major surgery and it takes a lot out of you. I haven't had any issues with my meds. I'm on Paxil for anxiety. And, I sometimes take Tylenol PM to help me sleep. You can take them without crushing them. Capsules you take normally and tablets you break into pieces. You're appetite the first few days after surgery will be minimal. Or it should. Most hunger that you feel will be mental hunger. Mental hunger is the worst. My suggestion is to be sure you have Gas-X if gas is an issue and be sure to have fluids and you'll be fine. If you have a long layover... get a cup of hot water and drop some broth mix into it.

Kristy

Hi,

I had surgey on December 2, 2008 and I also had an extremely long flight back to Pittsburgh PA. My flight left at 1:45pm from SanDiego and landed in PGH at 12 midnight. You will not be able to bring in mixes thru the airport . So plan to purchase some Gatoaide or something. I was alos able to find Broth at the airport. I ordered soup and as the lady to give me only broth. I was only able to take in a few sips but it made me feel better to be eating and sipping with others. Make sure you have your gas-X with you. I had so much gas. That was the hardest part. As for the flight attendants, they have juice and water. Ask what your options are.

I personnally was afraid to take sleeping pill because I had to drive back from the airport. I had not been hungry at all since the surgery. I only have mental hunger pains. I must admit I am very surprised.

Hi,

I had surgey on December 2, 2008 and I also had an extremely long flight back to Pittsburgh PA. My flight left at 1:45pm from SanDiego and landed in PGH at 12 midnight. You will not be able to bring in mixes thru the airport . So plan to purchase some Gatoaide or something. I was alos able to find Broth at the airport. I ordered soup and as the lady to give me only broth. I was only able to take in a few sips but it made me feel better to be eating and sipping with others. Make sure you have your gas-X with you. I had so much gas. That was the hardest part. As for the flight attendants, they have juice and water. Ask what your options are.

I personnally was afraid to take sleeping pill because I had to drive back from the airport. I had not been hungry at all since the surgery. I only have mental hunger pains. I must admit I am very surprised.

I had some broth at the hotel before I left for the airport. Once I got through security... I was sure to get some water and gatorade. On the plane I got water with lots of ice. I didn't use any mixes at all during the flight home. I was too tired to mess with it... I was just sure to keep hydrated. I left the hotel at 7:00 am PST and didn't walk in my door until 10:00 pm MST. You will be given pain meds when you leave the OCC and they dissolve under the tongue. You might sleep on the plane... you will have just had major surgery and it takes a lot out of you. I haven't had any issues with my meds. I'm on Paxil for anxiety. And, I sometimes take Tylenol PM to help me sleep. You can take them without crushing them. Capsules you take normally and tablets you break into pieces. You're appetite the first few days after surgery will be minimal. Or it should. Most hunger that you feel will be mental hunger. Mental hunger is the worst. My suggestion is to be sure you have Gas-X if gas is an issue and be sure to have fluids and you'll be fine. If you have a long layover... get a cup of hot water and drop some broth mix into it.

Kristy

Thanks everybody for the advice!! Hey Kristy, my flight home also leaves at 7:00am and on top of the long flight home, I've got a 2 hour drive home from the airport. Thank goodness I have someone coming with me so she can drive home. I also couldn't agree more about the mental hunger. I went to GNC yesterday to buy some protein mixes to get ready for my pre-op diet and I was hungry just thinking about having to go through an all liquid diet for such a long period of time. It's obvious I don't have a lot of will power when it comes to food, so I am really worried about keeping myself in check after the surgery!!

Thanks again everybody and please keep the advice coming!!!

Just remember the money that you put into the surgery! And, it will help immensely when it comes to "cheating" afterwards! I mean... I lay down at night and think, "KFC mashed potatoes can be sucked through a straw. Right?" But, when it comes down to it... I don't give in. And, I love food!

Kristy

Just remember the money that you put into the surgery! And, it will help immensely when it comes to "cheating" afterwards! I mean... I lay down at night and think, "KFC mashed potatoes can be sucked through a straw. Right?" But, when it comes down to it... I don't give in. And, I love food!

Kristy

Kristy, that is too funny!! Believe me I have already been thinking about how I'm going to pulverize my favorite foods so I can get

them through a straw!!! I am praying for will power!! When did you get banded?? And are you pretty happy with your weight loss

so far and what has been easier than you thought it would be and what has been the hardest??