Day 4 post op

Hi Everyone!

Surgery was on Friday. Saturday I went with 4 other patients and we went to Revolution to shop. After a few hours, we returned to the Lucerna restaurant for lunch (broth for us post op). A word of caution for pre ops. We all felt so good 1 day post op, we spent at least a couple of hours shopping (and walking), the next day I realized I over did it.......What I also realized that day was they gave os a pain shot and nausea shot prior to leaving the clinic, which lead me to feel no pain and go like the energizer bunny......So my advice would be take it very easy the next day, even though you feel no pain.

The best part of 1 day post op was meeting my new friends, we all went shopping, shared a cab (this was like a cartoon.....9 of us in a cab! yes I said NINE). It was a van, built for 7. We had a great laugh, we laughed so hard it hurt!!!!! It was just too funny! After dinner that night, everyone met for a card game. Mom and I had to pass because we had to get up at 3am to catch our flight.

Day 3 was very good. I worked 8 hours without any problems or discomfort.

I am not like most. I have had growling since 1 day post op. This morning is the worst, it won't stop. I took chewable fiber, chewable vits and I'm on my second cup of coffee. Any suggestion would be greatly appreciated. Gas pains today are almost gone....not bad at all.

My mom who had surgery on Fri too (and is 67), has had no pain, no gas, no hunger, doing fabulous!......shheeesh!!!

Now for my question. Can I have powdered hot chocolate (made with water)?

This board has made my journey, which has only just begun, so much easier.....thank you agian to all of you!

All my best,

Cindy

Cindy,

I had all liquids for the recommended time from Gabrielle. I had no problems with any liquids made from powder. My favorite was an Arnold Palmer made from the powdered versions of Crystal Light tea and Crystal Light Lemonade. It was zero calories, and tasted wonderful with broths and thin soups.

Also, as more density was added, Wendy's chili was a godsend. I ate it twice a day, and loved it the last week to 10 days of the "dreaded 21". I ate it as I could tolerate it, and the savoriness of it was wonderful. There are other soups people have posted about previously (I recommend searching for "soups" under the search function, and it will give you posts from months past that have long been hidden on the fourm).

Good luck with your journey; you'll find it personally rewarding and see the results over a period of time. Excelsior!

Will,

thanks for your reply. However I am only 4 days post op and really hoping to make it thru day 7 (although Dr Miranda said day 4 for soups "if you must") prior to moving from the clear liquid stage.

You were able to eat chili on day 10? with no upset?

Cindy

Will,

thanks for your reply. However I am only 4 days post op and really hoping to make it thru day 7 (although Dr Miranda said day 4 for soups "if you must") prior to moving from the clear liquid stage.

Cindy

Cindy...welcome and congrats to going to step 2 (step 1 was the preop).

Stick with the "CLEAR liquids" for 7 days. If you can't see through it you can't have it, except the yogurt. Your surgery day IS day 1. Starting day 4 you can have those wonderful drinkable yogurt. I like the strawberry bananna because of the little extra potassium.

The first 7 days are liquids the consistency of water only. Vegetable broth, beef broth, chicken broth, popsicles are fine and they don't need to be sugar or fat free, as you aren't pushing over the calorie counting at this stage at all. Apple juice is 1/2 juice and 1/2 water, not full concentrate to avoid diarrhea. I keep an eye on the sodium level in the broths too. Towards the end of the week, you will get tired of the broth and I ended up adding spices and even tobasco sauce to give it a 'kick'. You can use boullion cubes if you wish. Protein water is a MUST. I use the Special K2O. G2 - low calorie, low sugar Gatorade in little bottles are fine too. Jell-O gelatin, not pudding is great, in which I add more water so it wouldn't completely set but easy to 'drink' it per se. NO protein shakes until day 8, the start of your full liquid days, the "creamy soups" stage.

During this clear liquid stage you can have as much liquid as you want. No limit so if you are hungry, then drink more ~ it will help the hunger pangs. This stage is not the easiest, but keep the focus and keep a journal to keep you on track.

For the rest of the days 8 through 21, you are on 'creamy soups' stage. NO chunks, lumps, or bumps in your food and NO blenders to make it creamy. There is no calorie counting at this time either. Go to the fourms Recipe section and look at the Healthy Creamy Soups post and get some ideas. Or you can simply get those quick Campbell's canned soups. You can have fudgesicles and puddings too. Also protein shakes are good at this creamy stage too as well as the drinkable yogurts.

Don't forget your vitamins...either the liquid kind or the chewable Centrium kind. It's important to get your vitamins and minerals in daily.

As well, don't forget the chewable or unflavored powder Benefiber, which helps the rotor rooter problem!

Hope this helps and good luck!

No jello or pudding on the 21 day post-op... per Dr. Miranda! On the paperwork that I received it specifically stated that the diet had been changed from the original paperwork that I have received. Also, that counts out Wendy's chili unless you pick out all the chuncks.

Cindy,

It sounds like you're doing really well. Congratulations! I'm much like your mom. Not much pain, not much gas (the gas I do have is in the form of painful hiccups). However, I've been having hunger pangs lately. I'm on day 14. During my first 7 days, after 4 bowls of broth... I couldn't do it anymore. I basically lived on popsicles/otter pops. And, after day 4... drinkable yogurt. I found that Dannon Danimals tasted the best to me. I also continued taking metimucile capcules for hunger pangs... mid-morning and late afternoon. I would go to Subway and order soups that had broth because it tasted better than plain broth.

Kristy

No jello or pudding on the 21 day post-op... per Dr. Miranda! On the paperwork that I received it specifically stated that the diet had been changed from the original paperwork that I have received. Also, that counts out Wendy's chili unless you pick out all the chuncks.

Cindy,

It sounds like you're doing really well. Congratulations! I'm much like your mom. Not much pain, not much gas (the gas I do have is in the form of painful hiccups). However, I've been having hunger pangs lately. I'm on day 14. During my first 7 days, after 4 bowls of broth... I couldn't do it anymore. I basically lived on popsicles/otter pops. And, after day 4... drinkable yogurt. I found that Dannon Danimals tasted the best to me. I also continued taking metimucile capcules for hunger pangs... mid-morning and late afternoon. I would go to Subway and order soups that had broth because it tasted better than plain broth.

Kristy

Hey Kristy - double check your paperwork. I just checked mine, it says to stock up on "gelatin", which is Jell-O, Jell-O, not pudding. What does your paperwork say? I am curious.

Cindy,

Kristy

I don't remember seeing the paperwork say no pudding, I've done a few. Hope it doesn't mess with my band. I am also 14 days out, was banded 12/3. I'll go back and look. My paperwork doesn't single out pudding or jello, but it also says if I can't drink it, so I guess that would include pudding. I thought I read somewhere, maybe on the OCC website, that pudding was ok. Oops! I'll stay away now. Thanks for the reminder. Kim

I don't remember seeing the paperwork say no pudding, I've done a few. Hope it doesn't mess with my band. I am also 14 days out, was banded 12/3. I'll go back and look. My paperwork doesn't single out pudding or jello, but it also says if I can't drink it, so I guess that would include pudding. I thought I read somewhere, maybe on the OCC website, that pudding was ok. Oops! I'll stay away now. Thanks for the reminder. Kim

I just looked at my paperwork. I had asked Dr. Miranda specifically about jello and pudding. She wrote on my paperwork, "No jello or pudding!" Hope this helps.

Thanks for all the good advice girls.

jude, you stated clear liquids for the first 7, which is my plan...but then you say drinkable yogart day 4.....this isn't clear. Can you clarify please.

Cindy

Cindy,

Dr. Miranda says clears liquids days 1-7. However, she said if you needed to that you could start drinkable yogurt on day 4... but, to try and hold out until day 7.

Kristy

Will,

Cindy

I was doing Wendy's chili on day 10 with no problems. They simmer it for 4 hours, so everything in it is almost liquid anyway. I did jello, jello with small bits of fruit (they come in little plastic containers) and I even did the pudding (I loved the key lime flavored one) for lunches starting after the liquid phase. I went slowly, and drank a lot of Arnold Palmers to get the full feeling (and with 0 calories, it didn't hurt one bit). I know, I ate a few crackers with my soups but still had no problems. None whatsoever.

I bought the DanActive drinkable yogurt and that did help with the hunger. I'm one of those freaks of nature that doesn't like sweets, so they weren't the best but they were much better than broth by that time. But like I said I am a freak and most everyone really liked the drinkable yogurt.

I know everyone is different, but all I can encourage you to do is stick to the rules given to us by OCC. I know that some people are able to stray and get by - that is not guaranteed! So I trusted the experts and stuck to the 21 day diet. After spending all this money (mine is all out of pocket) I can't imagine my band slipping or something else happening and ruining this for me.

I'm telling you - I am the biggest wuss and don't have a lot of willpower and I was able to get through the 21 days and you can too!!! The first 7 were terrible for me, but when I got on creamy soups it was totally doable. Sucked a bit when I was around yummie food I couldn't have, but otherwise really isn't that bad as long as you mix it up.

Cindy,

My advice is to follow what YOUR doctor and nutritionist said. They are the experts! Bottom line... we're on a 21 day post-op diet of liquids. No chuncks or anything is to be in or added to food. Just because one person chose not to follow the guidelines and had no problems does not mean the same would happen for any of us, and internal issues may not manifest. It is an expensive investment, don't jepordize your health or risk a slipped band.

Kristy

jude, you stated clear liquids for the first 7, which is my plan...but then you say drinkable yogart day 4.....this isn't clear. Can you clarify please.

Cindy

Yes, that is right...that is the only exception to the rule...the drinkable yogurts you can have earlier. Check your paperwork from OCC and really, if in doubt, contacnt Dr. Miranda. Everyone is different and I've heard some say they had creamy soups earlier. But the normal guideline is what I've said.

Cindy

I also enjoyed the drinkable yogurts! I also took the seasoning packet from the Top Ramen and added it to hot water for a change. I went through a gotta cook phase. I was cooking all sorts of yummy foods for my family. I didn't want to eat them myself but I really enjoyed preparing them and watching my family enjoy them. It is helping me get through this soup phase. I have tried all kinds of cream soups, my favorite remains tomato!

Firecracker

Cindy,

My advice is to follow what YOUR doctor and nutritionist said. They are the experts! Bottom line... we're on a 21 day post-op diet of liquids. No chuncks or anything is to be in or added to food. Just because one person chose not to follow the guidelines and had no problems does not mean the same would happen for any of us, and internal issues may not manifest. It is an expensive investment, don't jepordize your health or risk a slipped band.

Kristy

Hi Kristy,

It wasn't just "one person". Read the past two year's worth of posts about what people have, and have not done. In my profession, I am trained to make observations, and the one constant I can tell you about the 21 day post op plan is that it has had changes over the time that I've been reading and deciding to do this procedure myself. Some doctors are much more strict than the OCC plan, and others are less strict. I'm glad that you followed the rules to the letter. I followed the rules presented to ME to the letter, by the same source that presented you with yours... interesting, isn't it?

I've been on the forum well over a year now, and the ONE thing new bandsters need is HONESTY.... I honestly told what I did and the results. If she didn't want our honesty, she probably would've called Gabrielle and asked her personally what was best.

Be well.

That is great that you followed what the doctor said at the time you were banded to the T - I think we all should do that. As we all know medicine is an ever evolving process and so we should follow best practices and trust the experts and the physicians that we trust to do the surgery. I have a Masters degree as well, but i'm following current best practices to do everything in my power to ensure my success.

Best of luck!

Well I have a doctorate, so that trumps both of you!

Just j/k :)

Seriously though, my OWN approach was to follow the rules as presented to me, which was 21 days liquids only, with nothing blended or pureed. I did have puddings, but not jello. I had some confusion as to whether these were allowed or not, but it was too late by the time I realized it. No harm done, as far as I can tell. Whatever the reasons were for coming up with this particular 21-day plan, I figured that it's not going to hurt me by following it to the letter (and to the best of my knowledge). On the other hand, breaking those guidelines carried some risk of stretching the pouch, which would defeat the purpose of the band, and all the money I spent on it. After spending so much money and getting cut open and all of that, why would I risk effing things up just because I couldn't exercise some discipline and stay on course? 21 days is not a lot of time in the grand scheme of things.

I think that the pre- and post-op diet is more than just a diet. It is a way to help focus and get kick-started into a healthier way of eating. Tomorrow I start solid foods, but I'm not about to go and gorge on the pizza and burgers. Had I not done 7 weeks of pre- and post-op dieting (which admittedly has been hard as hell), I might have gone and gorged, and then created some major grief for myself. I think these diets are a mental as well as a physical test and preparation for major, permanent changes in eating and approaching food. I see the band as a tool to assist in maintaining this permanent lifestyle change.

-vangirl

I am just starting day 10 - YEAH I can have creamy soups.

But what I remember Dr. Ortiz telling me is to follow the rules exactly otherwise you may have a problem and those may NOT show up for 6 months. YIKES - that scared me, so I am following the paperwork exactly. It doesn't have Jello on my list, so will not have any until after day 21.

Judi

Doctors in this area of the country who perform the lapband procedure require possible patients to attend a 2 hour seminar prior to being accepted as a patient (most do nationwide, I've been told). I attended two such seminars for two different doctors. I felt badly in both of them; though I am not an underwear model, there were people in both seminars that were taking up three chairs. The doctors explained the procedure, both using a powerpoint presentation with slides, and one of them used actual photos at times. I did my research.

Both doctors explained the post-op diet. All three (those two plus the OCC plan) are similar. The pouch would only be stretched by overfilling it. One doctor posted his statistics. Since 2004, he has completed over 700 of the lapband surgeries. He spends more time doing the Roux procedure, for severe cases. In his 700+ cases, he has had only TWO documented problems, and they were band slippage - by the SAME person. The person, within two weeks of surgery, went to a megabar (southern term for an all you can eat buffet) and stuffed himself - three plates-full at a sitting. And here in the south, a plate means 'pile it on until it falls off'. Both cases were by the same person.

One weakness in the OCC program is patient follow-up. I had my surgery on April 8, and I have no recollection of even receiving a phone call asking if i returned home safely (not transportation-wise, but band wise)... how was the first week going with liquids.... how was the second week going... etc....

The doctors here SEE their patients for follow up twice each week following surgery, and call each day the first week, just to check on them. Some type of after-care program was seriously suggested to OCC, but to my knowledge, no such program exists. Just being handed some papers, and say "folllow this" can be spiced up a notch... the quality of the REST of the program is high, the after-care portion needs to be raised to the REST of the program's level of quality.

There are FEW cases of band slippage documented according to the doctors. It happens when patients ABUSE after-care instructions. A stretched pouch will come from 'quantity' of food, not 'density', because the VOLUME of food enlargens the pouch. The liquids, and other soft foods (soups, jellos, etc) pass through the rather large opening easier than steak and other more-dense foods. This post-op program gives the procedure time to heal. A small container of jello with two small pieces of fruit in it is NOT going to cause your upper pouch to rupture like the revered Jiffy-pop popcorn tin. I am not, nor have I ever advocated going to a megabar during a post-op time frame. I was simply stating what I had done, based on the diet presented to me by OCC, and that I did not stretch my pouch or cause band slippage. Reading as many posts on here about this same subject has taught me that people fear JUST THAT... that one little "oops" will cause a major system meltdown. It doesn't. If it is a LITTLE 'oops'.

The best advice came from one poster... use your judgement. If one bite of something causes you a problem, DON'T TAKE A SECOND BITE.... back down. This was posted a year ago, but still rings true in this case.

These same issues have been debated before. Each new generation of bandsters should go back and read postings from prior generations (a generation on this forum seems to last about 4 months or so).

Be well, eat smartly, lose much, achieve your dream.

Doctors in this area of the country who perform the lapband procedure require possible patients to attend a 2 hour seminar prior to being accepted as a patient (most do nationwide, I've been told). I attended two such seminars for two different doctors. I felt badly in both of them; though I am not an underwear model, there were people in both seminars that were taking up three chairs. The doctors explained the procedure, both using a powerpoint presentation with slides, and one of them used actual photos at times. I did my research.

Both doctors explained the post-op diet. All three (those two plus the OCC plan) are similar. The pouch would only be stretched by overfilling it. One doctor posted his statistics. Since 2004, he has completed over 700 of the lapband surgeries. He spends more time doing the Roux procedure, for severe cases. In his 700+ cases, he has had only TWO documented problems, and they were band slippage - by the SAME person. The person, within two weeks of surgery, went to a megabar (southern term for an all you can eat buffet) and stuffed himself - three plates-full at a sitting. And here in the south, a plate means 'pile it on until it falls off'. Both cases were by the same person.

One weakness in the OCC program is patient follow-up. I had my surgery on April 8, and I have no recollection of even receiving a phone call asking if i returned home safely (not transportation-wise, but band wise)... how was the first week going with liquids.... how was the second week going... etc....

The doctors here SEE their patients for follow up twice each week following surgery, and call each day the first week, just to check on them. Some type of after-care program was seriously suggested to OCC, but to my knowledge, no such program exists. Just being handed some papers, and say "folllow this" can be spiced up a notch... the quality of the REST of the program is high, the after-care portion needs to be raised to the REST of the program's level of quality.

There are FEW cases of band slippage documented according to the doctors. It happens when patients ABUSE after-care instructions. A stretched pouch will come from 'quantity' of food, not 'density', because the VOLUME of food enlargens the pouch. The liquids, and other soft foods (soups, jellos, etc) pass through the rather large opening easier than steak and other more-dense foods. This post-op program gives the procedure time to heal. A small container of jello with two small pieces of fruit in it is NOT going to cause your upper pouch to rupture like the revered Jiffy-pop popcorn tin. I am not, nor have I ever advocated going to a megabar during a post-op time frame. I was simply stating what I had done, based on the diet presented to me by OCC, and that I did not stretch my pouch or cause band slippage. Reading as many posts on here about this same subject has taught me that people fear JUST THAT... that one little "oops" will cause a major system meltdown. It doesn't. If it is a LITTLE 'oops'.

The best advice came from one poster... use your judgement. If one bite of something causes you a problem, DON'T TAKE A SECOND BITE.... back down. This was posted a year ago, but still rings true in this case.

These same issues have been debated before. Each new generation of bandsters should go back and read postings from prior generations (a generation on this forum seems to last about 4 months or so).

Be well, eat smartly, lose much, achieve your dream.

GREAT post Will, thanks for clarifying!

Hey Girl!

It's Sarah (the smart one that sat in the front seat of the cab). How are you? I couldn't agree with you more about overdoing it on day one. I was soo sore the next day.

So the first couple of days were hell. I finally feel pretty good today. I was in quite a bit of pain and very nauseaus. I just had my first drinkable yogart and that made me feel so much better.

I hope you are doing better, and please keep in touch!

Sarah

Hi Kristy,

It wasn't just "one person". Read the past two year's worth of posts about what people have, and have not done. In my profession, I am trained to make observations, and the one constant I can tell you about the 21 day post op plan is that it has had changes over the time that I've been reading and deciding to do this procedure myself. Some doctors are much more strict than the OCC plan, and others are less strict. I'm glad that you followed the rules to the letter. I followed the rules presented to ME to the letter, by the same source that presented you with yours... interesting, isn't it?

I've been on the forum well over a year now, and the ONE thing new bandsters need is HONESTY.... I honestly told what I did and the results. If she didn't want our honesty, she probably would've called Gabrielle and asked her personally what was best.

Be well.

"One person" did not equal WillT... so no need to internalize what I posted. I was just banded on December 3 at the same clinic by same doctor as Cindy, so she has the exact same paperwork that I have. Dr. Ortiz even stated that you could eat now and that the damage done to the band will not manifest until months down the road. You posted your beliefs and I posted mine. The paperwork that I received at the OCC even stated that the diet is different from any pre-op paperwork that I received. Things change over time. I was simply stating to follow what the doctor and nutritionist say... because getting such advice on the opposite ends of the spectrum can be confusing to those just starting their journey.

Hey Girl!

It's Sarah (the smart one that sat in the front seat of the cab). How are you? I couldn't agree with you more about overdoing it on day one. I was soo sore the next day.

So the first couple of days were hell. I finally feel pretty good today. I was in quite a bit of pain and very nauseaus. I just had my first drinkable yogart and that made me feel so much better.

I hope you are doing better, and please keep in touch!

Sarah

Hi Sarah!

Glad you're feeling better today. I also had a lot of nausea Sunday (over doing it I suppose).

I couldn't take the hunger pangs any longer, and had about 1/4 c of liquid yogurt this morning.......oh man, that was good and satisfying. I think I will have that 3x a day.

I am feeling great. Came back to work full time Monday.

Did you get email addresses from everyone? If so, can you email those to me?

Cindy

Cynthia1081@yahoo.com

"One person" did not equal WillT... so no need to internalize what I posted. I was just banded on December 3 at the same clinic by same doctor as Cindy, so she has the exact same paperwork that I have. Dr. Ortiz even stated that you could eat now and that the damage done to the band will not manifest until months down the road. You posted your beliefs and I posted mine. The paperwork that I received at the OCC even stated that the diet is different from any pre-op paperwork that I received. Things change over time. I was simply stating to follow what the doctor and nutritionist say... because getting such advice on the opposite ends of the spectrum can be confusing to those just starting their journey.

You said it girl! I paid way too much for this band out of pocket to be one of the 2 percent of patients that has their band slip. A consistent that everyone seems to agree on here is to follow the rules your doctor gave you at that time. Dr. Ortiz knows what he's doing and I encourage everyone to follow whatever directions your doctor gives you to the T.

Kristy, you have done such a great job researching and preparing you are going to be a rock star at this! Can't wait to follow your success!