Day 4 post op

You said it girl! I paid way too much for this band out of pocket to be one of the 2 percent of patients that has their band slip. A consistent that everyone seems to agree on here is to follow the rules your doctor gave you at that time. Dr. Ortiz knows what he's doing and I encourage everyone to follow whatever directions your doctor gives you to the T.

Kristy, you have done such a great job researching and preparing you are going to be a rock star at this! Can't wait to follow your success!

Yeah... it is a lot of money! But, I know that it'll be worth it. I'm sure what I've saved on what I used to spend on fast food is huge! You're doing amazing... and, it's great to have others on the journey and to be basically at the same bend in the road. We can do this!

Kristy

Can anyone tell me why you can't use a blender to add ingredients to your protein shakes in the creamy stage? I've found the best way to tolerate the taste of the protein shakes is to add 1/4 of a banana to the blender - it tastes so much better and I can't imagine why that would cause a problem at that stage???

Doctors in this area of the country who perform the lapband procedure require possible patients to attend a 2 hour seminar prior to being accepted as a patient (most do nationwide, I've been told). I attended two such seminars for two different doctors. I felt badly in both of them; though I am not an underwear model, there were people in both seminars that were taking up three chairs. The doctors explained the procedure, both using a powerpoint presentation with slides, and one of them used actual photos at times. I did my research.

Both doctors explained the post-op diet. All three (those two plus the OCC plan) are similar. The pouch would only be stretched by overfilling it. One doctor posted his statistics. Since 2004, he has completed over 700 of the lapband surgeries. He spends more time doing the Roux procedure, for severe cases. In his 700+ cases, he has had only TWO documented problems, and they were band slippage - by the SAME person. The person, within two weeks of surgery, went to a megabar (southern term for an all you can eat buffet) and stuffed himself - three plates-full at a sitting. And here in the south, a plate means 'pile it on until it falls off'. Both cases were by the same person.

One weakness in the OCC program is patient follow-up. I had my surgery on April 8, and I have no recollection of even receiving a phone call asking if i returned home safely (not transportation-wise, but band wise)... how was the first week going with liquids.... how was the second week going... etc....

The doctors here SEE their patients for follow up twice each week following surgery, and call each day the first week, just to check on them. Some type of after-care program was seriously suggested to OCC, but to my knowledge, no such program exists. Just being handed some papers, and say "folllow this" can be spiced up a notch... the quality of the REST of the program is high, the after-care portion needs to be raised to the REST of the program's level of quality.

There are FEW cases of band slippage documented according to the doctors. It happens when patients ABUSE after-care instructions. A stretched pouch will come from 'quantity' of food, not 'density', because the VOLUME of food enlargens the pouch. The liquids, and other soft foods (soups, jellos, etc) pass through the rather large opening easier than steak and other more-dense foods. This post-op program gives the procedure time to heal. A small container of jello with two small pieces of fruit in it is NOT going to cause your upper pouch to rupture like the revered Jiffy-pop popcorn tin. I am not, nor have I ever advocated going to a megabar during a post-op time frame. I was simply stating what I had done, based on the diet presented to me by OCC, and that I did not stretch my pouch or cause band slippage. Reading as many posts on here about this same subject has taught me that people fear JUST THAT... that one little "oops" will cause a major system meltdown. It doesn't. If it is a LITTLE 'oops'.

The best advice came from one poster... use your judgement. If one bite of something causes you a problem, DON'T TAKE A SECOND BITE.... back down. This was posted a year ago, but still rings true in this case.

These same issues have been debated before. Each new generation of bandsters should go back and read postings from prior generations (a generation on this forum seems to last about 4 months or so).

Be well, eat smartly, lose much, achieve your dream.

GREAT POST WILL :)

JUST WANTED TO ADD, WHEN TALKING TO DR MIRANDA (back in the day lol), PEOPLE WERE HAVING PROBLEMS WITH JELLO AND PUDDING THAT WERE PRE-MADE IN THE FRIG SECTION OF THE GROCERY STORE, NOT THOSE MADE AT HOME IN ONES KITCHEN

Can anyone tell me why you can't use a blender to add ingredients to your protein shakes in the creamy stage? I've found the best way to tolerate the taste of the protein shakes is to add 1/4 of a banana to the blender - it tastes so much better and I can't imagine why that would cause a problem at that stage???

Hi Dawn ~ it was explained to me during the first 21 days post op to not use the blender because of the air 'fluffing' the products and then you are drinking this 'fluff air'. You do not want any more air in you as it is. You may still have the gas (C2O) from surgery and while you are healing and relaxing right now, you are also trying to get rid of the gas bubbles by walking it out.

Hope this helps you.

Yeah... it is a lot of money! But, I know that it'll be worth it. I'm sure what I've saved on what I used to spend on fast food is huge! You're doing amazing... and, it's great to have others on the journey and to be basically at the same bend in the road. We can do this!

Kristy

Thanks so much!!! I can tell you have the right attitude and are going to completely ROCK at this as well! As weird as this may sound - this process has been the easiest and the hardest thing i've ever done. And I hear you on the saving money on fast food! I do spend more on more expensive food, but just eating at home is so much cheaper than eating out all the time.

You have done a great job! Stick exactly to the plan Dr. O has given you and there is no way you will not succeed at this. What a great way to start off the new year huh! Can you imagine what hotties we will be by spring!?

Hello Cindy,

What a coincidence that you posted your message on day 4. Today is day 4 for me. Luckily I have been so busy that I haven't had time to feel hunger. I was so blessed in the fact that I never did feel any gas pain. :) On my flight home I started wondering if I really did have this foreign object in me. If it wasn't for the incision marks, I would seriously wonder, (hope that that there was a distraction that made them forget where they were in the process) Ha, Ha, Seriously though, I am glad that this step is over and now I can start on the process of learning.

By the way, for anyone out there considering this procedure, please listen to everyone else here on the forum. There were telling the truth when they said there wasn't anything to be afraid of. My airplane journey was even a breeze. Other than my airplane having to be de-iced wherever my connection was.

PS. Hi Louise, I hope you are doing great!

Oh yeah, I can't remember how to update my tracker. I will have to work on it tomorrow. Good night bandsters :rolleyes:

Hello Cindy,

What a coincidence that you posted your message on day 4. Today is day 4 for me. Luckily I have been so busy that I haven't had time to feel hunger. I was so blessed in the fact that I never did feel any gas pain. :) On my flight home I started wondering if I really did have this foreign object in me. If it wasn't for the incision marks, I would seriously wonder, (hope that that there was a distraction that made them forget where they were in the process) Ha, Ha, Seriously though, I am glad that this step is over and now I can start on the process of learning.

By the way, for anyone out there considering this procedure, please listen to everyone else here on the forum. There were telling the truth when they said there wasn't anything to be afraid of. My airplane journey was even a breeze. Other than my airplane having to be de-iced wherever my connection was.

Oh yeah, I can't remember how to update my tracker. I will have to work on it tomorrow. Good night bandsters :rolleyes:

Good Morning Anne!

One of the lucky ones.....no gas pains!

So glad you're home and back to normal routine (sans eating...hehe).

One thing I am changing after talking with Dr Ortiz, is I will be traveling back to OCC for my first fill. During our stay there was two people that were there for correcting previous fills (done somewhere else). Dr Ortiz talked about this quite a bit and the bottom line is the first fill is the most important. And after doing 10,000 of them, their the best! I figure I've spent this much money, I might as well invest 300(airfare) more to get the best care....which is why I chose OCC in the first place.

My only complaint is the hunger. Today I get soups....which I will have after coffee!

All my best,

Cindy

Good Morning to You Cindy,

I have been seriously considering going back to OCC for my fills also. Let me know when you are booking since we are only a few days apart with our surgeries. Can't wait to start losing. Anne

Hello Cindy,

Anne,

You're banded! Yay! Congratulations! It sounds like you're doing great!

Kristy

Good Morning Anne!

One of the lucky ones.....no gas pains!

So glad you're home and back to normal routine (sans eating...hehe).

One thing I am changing after talking with Dr Ortiz, is I will be traveling back to OCC for my first fill. During our stay there was two people that were there for correcting previous fills (done somewhere else). Dr Ortiz talked about this quite a bit and the bottom line is the first fill is the most important. And after doing 10,000 of them, their the best! I figure I've spent this much money, I might as well invest 300(airfare) more to get the best care....which is why I chose OCC in the first place.

My only complaint is the hunger. Today I get soups....which I will have after coffee!

All my best,

Cindy

Cindy,

I didn't have the gas pains either... except in the form of painful hiccups once in awhile. And boy did I ever stock up on Gas-X strips! I have gone back-and-forth on whether to get my first fill in Salt Lake City, UT or at the OCC. I remember Dr. Ortiz telling me the same thing. Although tickets out of my town's itty-bitty-teensy-tiny airport are nearly $500... I just purchased and booked my first fill at the OCC for January 16. Thank you for the reminder of Dr. Ortiz's thoughts on first fills.

Kristy

Hello Cindy,

Hi Anne

Glad you made it home OK

The trip home was a "trip", flooding in TJ and a snowstorm in Vancouver. Today I am really hungry but I agree with others, the liquid yogurt is a godsend. I tried it yesterday and it was like a little peace of heaven :D . I am so looking forward to cream soups on Monday. I haven't been able to tolerate even the idea of broth since I got home so I have been living on gatorade, popsicles, coffee and juice (in that order). I did try jello and it felt good. I have the cups from the store and I let it "melt" in my mouth a bit before swallowing and it feels great. Dr Miranda didn't say anything about no Jello to me.

Now the only real pain I have is if I sneeze, and since I have allergies and tend to sneeze in threes that can be an adventure!

Glad you made it back okay. Sorry I missed seeing you in the morning. I know what you mean by not be able to wait till Monday. Creamed soups here I come. My flight out of San Diego ran late. I only had 29 minutes to spare as it was. So when my flight landed in Salt Lake, UT, I ended up with 15min. to connect with my other one. Talk about the 100yd dash. Then when I landed it was to snow. Driving home yesterday was through a blizzard. What a whirlwind of a trip.

The one thing I do have a hard time drinking is Gatorade. So I am sticking to juices, Chicken Noodle broth (my husband eats the noodles) mmmmmm. then coffee.

Well Louise, I don't think I 'll ever forget our taxi ride!!!!!!! talk about a near death experience. LOL

"It's beginning to look a lot like Christmas"

Anne

• 2 weeks later...
GREAT POST WILL :)

JUST WANTED TO ADD, WHEN TALKING TO DR MIRANDA (back in the day lol), PEOPLE WERE HAVING PROBLEMS WITH JELLO AND PUDDING THAT WERE PRE-MADE IN THE FRIG SECTION OF THE GROCERY STORE, NOT THOSE MADE AT HOME IN ONES KITCHEN

Ahh, that makes sense. I did ask Dr. Miranda if I could use the blender to make my protein shakes when the time comes and she said it would be fine, but maybe I'll just use the blender to crush up and ice and then add it to the liquids so they don't get all frothy with air...

Dawn

Doctors in this area of the country who perform the lapband procedure require possible patients to attend a 2 hour seminar prior to being accepted as a patient (most do nationwide, I've been told). I attended two such seminars for two different doctors. I felt badly in both of them; though I am not an underwear model, there were people in both seminars that were taking up three chairs. The doctors explained the procedure, both using a powerpoint presentation with slides, and one of them used actual photos at times. I did my research.

Both doctors explained the post-op diet. All three (those two plus the OCC plan) are similar. The pouch would only be stretched by overfilling it. One doctor posted his statistics. Since 2004, he has completed over 700 of the lapband surgeries. He spends more time doing the Roux procedure, for severe cases. In his 700+ cases, he has had only TWO documented problems, and they were band slippage - by the SAME person. The person, within two weeks of surgery, went to a megabar (southern term for an all you can eat buffet) and stuffed himself - three plates-full at a sitting. And here in the south, a plate means 'pile it on until it falls off'. Both cases were by the same person.

One weakness in the OCC program is patient follow-up. I had my surgery on April 8, and I have no recollection of even receiving a phone call asking if i returned home safely (not transportation-wise, but band wise)... how was the first week going with liquids.... how was the second week going... etc....

The doctors here SEE their patients for follow up twice each week following surgery, and call each day the first week, just to check on them. Some type of after-care program was seriously suggested to OCC, but to my knowledge, no such program exists. Just being handed some papers, and say "follow this" can be spiced up a notch... the quality of the REST of the program is high, the after-care portion needs to be raised to the REST of the program's level of quality.

There are FEW cases of band slippage documented according to the doctors. It happens when patients ABUSE after-care instructions. A stretched pouch will come from 'quantity' of food, not 'density', because the VOLUME of food enlargens the pouch. The liquids, and other soft foods (soups, jellos, etc) pass through the rather large opening easier than steak and other more-dense foods. This post-op program gives the procedure time to heal. A small container of jello with two small pieces of fruit in it is NOT going to cause your upper pouch to rupture like the revered Jiffy-pop popcorn tin. I am not, nor have I ever advocated going to a megabar during a post-op time frame. I was simply stating what I had done, based on the diet presented to me by OCC, and that I did not stretch my pouch or cause band slippage. Reading as many posts on here about this same subject has taught me that people fear JUST THAT... that one little "oops" will cause a major system meltdown. It doesn't. If it is a LITTLE 'oops'.

The best advice came from one poster... use your judgement. If one bite of something causes you a problem, DON'T TAKE A SECOND BITE.... back down. This was posted a year ago, but still rings true in this case.

These same issues have been debated before. Each new generation of bandsters should go back and read postings from prior generations (a generation on this forum seems to last about 4 months or so).

Be well, eat smartly, lose much, achieve your dream.

I have my band date set in March 2009, but I had gone into a bariatric surgeon who accepts "out of town" patients. When I mentioned Mexico, he told me "Well, they've been doing it longer then we have." Then he agreed to be my aftercare doctor (he knew I was a self-pay). I'll be able to go to him for fills and questions. Don't know if this would help anyone trying to make the decision and worried about the aftercare from OCC. I just found someone at home to do all the follow-up! ;)