Pre surgery screening

I'm so glad to find this site. Next week I have the 8 hour screening appointments with all the nurses, psychologist, dietitian, physical therapist, etc. etc. On the average how long does it take from the intake screening to the surgery?

I live in around Bremerton WA but will go to Legacy-Good Sam Obesity Clinic in Portland because of insurance considerations.

It is very liberating to admit to being an obese person who needs help. Friends and family are supportive and I am finally facing my problems.

Sounds like you all are doing well and it is impressive to hear of your successes.

Devo

I'm so glad to find this site. Next week I have the 8 hour screening appointments with all the nurses, psychologist, dietitian, physical therapist, etc. etc. On the average how long does it take from the intake screening to the surgery?

I live in around Bremerton WA but will go to Legacy-Good Sam Obesity Clinic in Portland because of insurance considerations.

It is very liberating to admit to being an obese person who needs help. Friends and family are supportive and I am finally facing my problems.

Sounds like you all are doing well and it is impressive to hear of your successes.

Devo

Devo, Good for you in taking a step to better health. I was banded on the 16th at OCC by Dr. Ortiz. One of the best experiences of my life. At OCC they first screen you by phone and then through a lengthy questionnaire that you fax to them. At that point you can be scheduled for surgery if accepted. Once at OCC your lab work is done and you will meet with their nutritionist, cardiologist, and each of the 3 doctors that will be doing your surgery. That was my process others may vary slightly due to each individuals situation. I hope your surgery is a successful one. Kevin

Hi Devo,

Every place seems to do the screening a little differently. I had to meet with my personal physician first to get a referral. Then, I had to meet with the dietician. I was not required to meet with the psychologist. However, I did have to write out my whole life's history (well most of it anyway) and include why I thought I was a good candidate for the surgery. (They must have liked my essay because my girlfriend had to meet with the psychologist for several sessions before she could get approval for the surgery.)

After what seemed like weeks of waiting, I got to meet with the surgeon. Then, I was scheduled for an endoscopy....another two or three weeks of waiting.

It was at that point that I found out that I am not a candidate for the surgery. :((

Since then, I've joined Weight Watchers for the umpteenth time and I've lost 20 pounds so far. I am determined to be the best Weight Watcher member that I can be...it's either this or the gastric bypass and I just can't get excited about having my anatomy rerouted!!!

I wish you the very best of luck!!

Bandster at heart,

Linda

Hi Devo,

Every place seems to do the screening a little differently. I had to meet with my personal physician first to get a referral. Then, I had to meet with the dietician. I was not required to meet with the psychologist. However, I did have to write out my whole life's history (well most of it anyway) and include why I thought I was a good candidate for the surgery. (They must have liked my essay because my girlfriend had to meet with the psychologist for several sessions before she could get approval for the surgery.)

After what seemed like weeks of waiting, I got to meet with the surgeon. Then, I was scheduled for an endoscopy....another two or three weeks of waiting.

It was at that point that I found out that I am not a candidate for the surgery. :((

Since then, I've joined Weight Watchers for the umpteenth time and I've lost 20 pounds so far. I am determined to be the best Weight Watcher member that I can be...it's either this or the gastric bypass and I just can't get excited about having my anatomy rerouted!!!

I wish you the very best of luck!!

Bandster at heart,

Linda

Just curious: what did the endoscopy find that ruled you out as a candidate for the lap band?

Devo

GOOD JOB DEVO!!!

IF YOU CAN GET YOUR INSURANCE TO COVER IT, GO FOR IT. JUST FIND A GOOD DR YOU FEEL COMFORABLE WITH. KEEP US POSTED ON HOW YOU'RE DOING. I'M IN THE AUBURN AREA AND WE'VE GOT A BUNCH THAT POST ON THIS BOARD THAT LIVE ALSO IN WA STATE.

GOOD LUCK TO YOU :)

I have a large paraesophageal hernia which is an atypical type of hiatal hernia. Some hiatal hernias can be repaired at the time of surgery. I was told by two surgeons that mine cannot be. :( It took me months to make the decision to actually have the surgery. I was quite bummed out about it initially, but I've decided that I am going to lose this weight anyway....

So many here are so supportive! I keep coming back to read how everyone is doing!