Drinking before/after meals

I can see why after a meal you don't want to drink - would wash your food right out of your "new" stomach. But before? I can't for the life of me come up with any reason not to since water will flow right thru and you won't feel full anyway.

If I eat 3 meals a day, that is 3 hours for each meal, which is 9 hours total not drinking. How am I supposed to get the water in if I only sip it at other times - unless I don't sleep hahaha. I have dry mouth all the time, so now I am sucking on lemon drops to help until I am allowed water - but it is getting harder and harder.

Hope some one has the answers for me.

Judi

I can see why after a meal you don't want to drink - would wash your food right out of your "new" stomach. But before? I can't for the life of me come up with any reason not to since water will flow right thru and you won't feel full anyway.

If I eat 3 meals a day, that is 3 hours for each meal, which is 9 hours total not drinking. How am I supposed to get the water in if I only sip it at other times - unless I don't sleep hahaha. I have dry mouth all the time, so now I am sucking on lemon drops to help until I am allowed water - but it is getting harder and harder.

Hope some one has the answers for me.

Judi

Judi,

Where did you get your information? At OCC, I was told to stop drinking 30 minutes BEFORE you eat and that you can BEGIN drinking again 1 hour after your meal. That adds up to 4 hours and 30 minutes of not drinking with your meals.

The sip,sip, sip recommendation is for after surgery because it is usually hard to drink large amounts of water right after surgery. Also, I find it difficult to drink cold beverages in the morning but I usually do not have a problem with warm beverages like coffee.

Once you get a fill, drinking with a meal is usually uncomfortable. I do not drink with my meals because it hurts to drink and eat at the same time.

Hopefully, others will respond as well.

Dawn

I was personally told by Dr. Miranda (2.5 years ago) that I could drink up until the moment I eat and then 45-1 hour after. I can also help with the why though for before- sometimes drinking COLD water tightens the band, while warmer liquids can often loosen it. So, if you drink cold or hot before a meal, that could potentially affect the amount of food you eat, which would be bad usually. For me, I do drink up until I eat. I have been avoiding cold drinks in general because they are harder to drink when you have a tight fill anyway. Hope that answers some questions........

Karen

p.s. I drink water like crazy between meals!!! Or I chew or suck on ice too.

I was told that you could drink up to the minute you eat as well - some others on the board have posted that you cannot drink before.

I've never followed that rule that and its worked fine for me.

Sometimes the rules do change and the oldies don't hear about it - I'd go right to the source to check on this one.

Best,

Lisa

I am the same as Karen. I was banded on 10/8/08 and Dr. Miranda told me I could drink up until I eat, eat my meal, and then wait 45 min to 1 hr before I could drink again. Also, what Karen said about the cold/warm water is true for me too. Since my 2nd fill, I cannot have cold or room temp liquids but can have warm liquids. So, I would either have warm tea or cocoa and that helps me start my day. I've also warmed up my protein water, Special K2O, and it works just fine. With this ruling, I am able to meet my water intake throughout the day with no problem. Also, when I have had a 'spicier' meal, I would chew on a few ice for relief.

Thanks for the info - not sure where I got 1 hour before and 2 hours after - must have read it somewhere.

But I just read my paper work from Dr. Miranda and it says to wait 1 hour after meals to take liquid - So much better than waiting 2 hours. Nothing is said about drinking before, but I will make it "neutral - not hot and not cold" - don't want to "bother" my band.

Thanks again for clearing this up for me.

Judi