Were you skeptical?

Were any of ya'll skeptical about going to Mexico for the surgery? Did you go and check ito ut prior to surgery or did you just set it up and go? I really want to have this done, I am 5'11" and weigh 258 I would really like to lose 100 pounds. I do not weigh enough for my insurance to cover weightloss surgery. I feel like I am trapped in someone else's body and can't get out. My husband is very skeptical about having it done in Mexico.

Tell your hubby to read my lips:)

No worries in Mexico...Ethnocentristic thinking is Americans biggest downfall. I thought Japan taught us not to think we were the best at very thing.... American surgeons could learn a thing or two from Dr Martinez and Dr Ortiz

Tom

Don't base your decision on whether to band or not on where the clinic is but rather on the qualifications of the surgeons involved. The clinic in TJ is wonderful. Dr Ortiz, Martinez, Estrada, Miranda and all of the staff there are very professional and highly qualified. The clinic itself is as clean if not cleaner than anything I have ever seen here. If you choose to band, do it because you want to, need to, whatever, but not because you believe any ethnic stereotypes. I am very happy with my choice and would do it again in a heartbeat. Nita

Check out the Newly Banded section and you can find the blow by blow details of lots of people's experiences, including mine. I was very skeptical, but you are in excellent hands at the OCC. Keep in mind that as you walk through this decision making process that having the surgery is only the first step on a long journey. Some have remarkable weight loss and others struggle. The band is a tool that causes you to face the reasons you were overeating and it can be a difficult time. It isn't a quick fix to dropping 100lbs so be careful in your decison making. With that said, I'm glad I got my band. Some days I cuss it ... I'm always discussing it... but most days I'm happy with it :) Best wishes to you. Chelley

I'm not banded yet, but I did go down to see the clinic just a few months ago (I live in San Diego, so it was just a trolley ride away for me). The facility is beautiful and spotless. Dr. Otiz was very professional, kind, sweet, AND handsome (not that that matters!). I had a wonderful experience there and am very impatient to have enough money to go through with the procedure. I'm hoping for March of 2007 (birthday present to myself) right now.

Thank you both for your reply. Did either of you check out the facitlities prior to your surgery? I guess also he is worried about setting it up sight unseen and getting down there and it not being what we thought or was told.

I wasn't so much skeptical as concerned. But all for not. From arrival to departure it was one of the most personally rewarding experiences in my life. Dr. Ortiz and his team could easily practice in the states if you were to grade them on expertice and state of the art facilities. Lucky for us he has chosen to establish his clinic just over the border of Mexico. My mother an RN scrubbed and was invited by Dr. Ortiz to view a surgery first hand before I was to have my band placed. She was so impressed she came to my room before surgery and assured me I was in the right hands. Kevin

I live in San Diego and took a drive down to visit the center and was very impressed. Dr. Ortiz spent 30 minutes talking to me and was never rushed and he was kind and very funny. They gave me a tour. Each of hte recovery rooms have a little couch for your family member to sit with you. It was very clean!!! I felt totally comfortable scheduling my appointment. Nov 19th seems so far away but will be here soon.

Terri