Fill Confusion

Hola Ladies,

I am new to the forum and have replied to some bandster and I haved no response. I hope I'm doing this right. I went to TJ to have my first fill and was amazed that my Dr. gave me 5cc of a fill. I fill confused of still felling hungry and not losing that much weight. I was banded 3/24 and have only lost 15lbs to date. Can any one relate to this slow process or am I just getting anxious.

I truly enjoy reading everyones experiences they are very informative.

Hi! Fills are tricky business from what I understand. It may take a while to reach what they call your "sweet spot" where you are able to eat but still loose weight. From all the literature I've read about the lap band weight loss, 2-3lbs a week is an ideal weight loss plan. Factors that can play a role in your weight loss apparently are your starting BMI. People with lower BMI's tend to loose weight more slowly in the beginning as they start with a BMI that is a target BMI for some mobidly obese patients. This means that patients with lower BMI's sometimes need several fills before they reach the point where they loose weight at a steady, healthy pace. In order to loose desired weight, it is very important you follow the eating plan established by your doctor. I personally know a gal who had surgery before me, here in the USA and in a 5 month period she has lost less than 20lbs, has had 2 fills and is agonizing over her decision and is basically just miserable. In the course of the conversation, I discovered she is drinking fluids with her meals which is a no-no. She chews, chews, chews then washes it all down with liquids bypassing her band! When I gently asked why she was eating that way, she said "so I feel full". :unsure: When I explained the eating plan my doctor prescribed for me, she agreed that made more sense and said she would try it. I'm anxious to chat with her again and see if she is making progress. Dr. Miranda recommends that you divide your plate into 4 sections for lunch and dinner and eat these 4 sections in order: 1 - protien source serving no larger than the palm of your hand, 2 - green veggie, 3- fruit (even if it's just a slice of apple), and 4- carbohydrate. By eating in order without mixing bites you 1) learn what food doesn't go down that well so if you get something stuck you know what it was, 2) you get your protein in 1st and the carb last (some lap band pt's find it hard to digest carbs).

I'm waiting for my 1st fill June 12th. I'd lost 21.5lbs but have starting gaining some of it back on the regular diet as I have NO restriction now. That is discouraging, but I'm trying to eat well and be patient until I can get my fill. If I could control what I ate in the 1st place, I wouldn't have needed the band! So, I'm trying not to beat myself up about it and just eat healthy.

Good luck to you on your journey! Hope this information is helpful to you!!! God bless!!!

Hola Ladies,

I am new to the forum and have replied to some bandster and I haved no response. I hope I'm doing this right. I went to TJ to have my first fill and was amazed that my Dr. gave me 5cc of a fill. I fill confused of still felling hungry and not losing that much weight. I was banded 3/24 and have only lost 15lbs to date. Can any one relate to this slow process or am I just getting anxious.

There is a way to cheat the band and if you are doing this then you won't lose the weight. The food has to be the right choices. Ice cream and high calorie milkshakes, fruity carb loaded beverages are not going to get the weight off. Also the biggest problem for me that I have found is that I am used to drinking with my meals. If you drink with your meals you are bypassing the band. You can drink right up to the minute that you start to eat and then you may not drink again until 1 hour after your last bite. this will make all the difference in the world. I won't even attempt any kind of sandwich with a bun or bread because it is too dry and it makes me full with three bites and I feel like it is stuck. It is a horrible feeling. We went out to dinner last night at a Japanese steak house. I ordered my ice tea like normal and then a meal. Usually whenever we go to a Japanese restataurant like this, I always order extra rice because I love it so much. Well, I didin't order extra this time and I never even got through 8 bites of rice before I felt it was just not worth it. Also steak is tricky as I have to chew forever and I only ate one bite of that. You must learn to eat without drinking. That is the key that I have found. Good luck.

Guest marys

I share your frustration. I had surgery in November of 2005 and have only lost 10lbs since my fill in January - I'm at a complete standstill and am planning a fill in the next 30 days. I am lower bmi - want to lose 50-60lbs total so i recoginize i will lose slower then someone who needs to lose over 100 but jeez, this is ridiculous.

I share your frustration. I had surgery in November of 2005 and have only lost 10lbs since my fill in January - I'm at a complete standstill and am planning a fill in the next 30 days. I am lower bmi - want to lose 50-60lbs total so i recoginize i will lose slower then someone who needs to lose over 100 but jeez, this is ridiculous.

Gosh Mary,

This will be your 2nd fill? We share the same weight loss goal. I was discouraged and asked my Dr. about little weight coming off. He told me to try our liquid diet phase again and when in purees to eat 6 small portiions a day plus my water. I hate dieting but I will try. Also do you have times when you can eat smoothly and time you can't even swallow anything? I wish you luck on your next fill. Keep track of how many cc of saline you take. Keep me posted.

Hola Ladies,

Dr. Martinez probably gave you .5cc (1/2 cc) of saline. It is rare to have as much as 2.5 cc total in your band after a year or two.

I've had my band for one year today, have lost 94 pounds, and continue to lose after my 4th fill last week.(Done by Dr. Martinez and his new associate) which took me to 2.0 cc's total, and I'm very tight now

You'll get used to the new feelings and experiences, and the weight loss will be steady...watch the milkshakes and ice cream, though. Stay with solid foods. If you don't lose any faster than your present rate, which you really will, that will total about 84 pounds in a year. Not bad, do you think? (By the way, some of us "ladies" you greeted with Hola, are really 59 year old men....we don't like being fat, either.

Arnold

Guest marys

Hi Friend and Others! Yes, there are times when I can eat like crazy and other times I am tight as can be. I've definitely noticed for the last three periods - I can eat and have cravings like crazy around one week before period. Then I wake up and think I can eat anything and realize i'm tight again. I have a terrible pb and go on liquids for up to 24 hours - i gain about 3-5lbs pre period and lose it again. It's getting ridiculous. I also notice I am tighter in the morning and sometimes can eat more at night. Iusually don't try to eat anything until I've had coffee as the hot liquid helps and i like breakfast. I am scheduling my second fill - my first was in january and i'm still around 169lbs (at 170 today cuz getting off that pre period weight AGAIN)

I have many bandster friends now and many can't eat anything really and their doc tells them to hold on a few days and maybe they will get an unfill.

I am willing to lose slower (just not willing to lose anything/nothing) if it means i can eat. i love food and my mindset is wanting to eat all foods in moderation. My goal in having the surgery is to eat like a normally thin person so i am happy my band allows me to eat bread, potateos, rice etc. MY GOAl is to eat these in extremem moderation like dr. ortiz suggests - he never said you can't have these you just need to have protein first, veges (which are carbs to), fruit then the 'bad' carbs. So i try to do that but would be unhappy if i couldn't eat them again.

I believe i have 2.3 cc's in my band and my understanding is most people who go to ortiz/martinez need fewer fills then in US.

One fellow Ortiz bandster that had surgery with me is down 40lbs; another about 20 and me about 10 but I was the smallest. Only one of the gals gets filled in the US and she has one (or an unfill) every month which is the goal of most US docs (I think)

I'm thinking if/when I have my next (June/July) it will most likely be the last - I think a little tighter will get the weight off quicker and hopefully not limit my food choices too much.

Fills are confusing but keep asking questions/talk to the doc until you get it right. We paid all this money and the fills are what makes it work.

good luck!

Dr. Martinez probably gave you .5cc (1/2 cc) of saline. It is rare to have as much as 2.5 cc total in your band after a year or two.

I've had my band for one year today, have lost 94 pounds, and continue to lose after my 4th fill last week.(Done by Dr. Martinez and his new associate) which took me to 2.0 cc's total, and I'm very tight now

You'll get used to the new feelings and experiences, and the weight loss will be steady...watch the milkshakes and ice cream, though. Stay with solid foods. If you don't lose any faster than your present rate, which you really will, that will total about 84 pounds in a year. Not bad, do you think? (By the way, some of us "ladies" you greeted with Hola, are really 59 year old men....we don't like being fat, either.

Arnold

Hi Arnold, no offense but that was not my intention. It's nice to know I now have a male friends. Thanks for the info. Maybe I will loose weight now. See ya! Sylvia

I understand your frustration. Like you, I had surgery with Dr. Ortiz in November 2005 and would like to lose a total of 60 lbs. Since then, I have lost only about 28 lbs. These 28 lbs have been so difficult to lose. I recently had an unfill because I was tired of throwing up and feeling sick all the time. My weight has been at a standstill for about 2 months now. I am very frustrated and sometimes question myself because i think I must be doing something wrong. I am not perfect but I know the rules and stick to them as best I can. I recently started exercising and I hope that will make a difference. When I get the nerve, I will go back and have a fill. It's nice to know that someone else out there is feeling some of the same frustrations.

Guest marys

Hi Seav and others

wow we are about in the same boat - i had surgery in nov 2005 and also want to lose about 50-60lbs! You are beating me - lol - as I've 'only' lost about 13. however almost 3 came off this week due to my new insight i rec'd from another bandster who told me...

instead of trying to eat as much as you can with the band try changing your mindset to what is the smallest amount i can eat and still be satisfied.

it seems simple but with this disease - obesity- (imo) that was a huge insight and it is really helping me. I also started exercising 3x a week - and lastly just a few days ago i wrote to dr. miranda and she suggested chromium picolinate 400 mcg

so, don't despair, just make sure you are making healthy choices, eating bandster portions and exer ising, and if that doesn't work - call the nutritionist or doc and maybe you need a fill.. but it sounds like you are doing good - us lower bmi folks tend to lose slower but i'm convinced it is the best way - even tho i'd like it off tomorrow.

Hi Seav and others

wow we are about in the same boat - i had surgery in nov 2005 and also want to lose about 50-60lbs! You are beating me - lol - as I've 'only' lost about 13. however almost 3 came off this week due to my new insight i rec'd from another bandster who told me...

instead of trying to eat as much as you can with the band try changing your mindset to what is the smallest amount i can eat and still be satisfied.

it seems simple but with this disease - obesity- (imo) that was a huge insight and it is really helping me. I also started exercising 3x a week - and lastly just a few days ago i wrote to dr. miranda and she suggested chromium picolinate 400 mcg

so, don't despair, just make sure you are making healthy choices, eating bandster portions and exer ising, and if that doesn't work - call the nutritionist or doc and maybe you need a fill.. but it sounds like you are doing good - us lower bmi folks tend to lose slower but i'm convinced it is the best way - even tho i'd like it off tomorrow.

Ooopps hit the wrong button, so I might be replying twice.

In a weird kind of way I am glad I'm not the only one. I had my lap band July 2005 and yes I've lost a total of 28 lbs. OH MY GOD!!!!!! I am so frustrated. I know I cheat every now and then, but I puke more than I eat it seems.... I read online about some "signs" of filling up so I can avoid the icky mucus stuff... but I can't believe how little I can eat and how little I am losing.

I haven't gotten a fill in forever because I am so depressed about it... which makes no sense right? But it's a lot of time to go down to MX and then go all the way home. I am making an appointment for June... but I don't want a lecture, I don't want to feel like a failure.... HELP!

Sorry, just venting. I am starting a new excercise program so that should help, but if it doesn't... I'm gonna cry.

Syl in Cali

• 4 weeks later...

I too had my first fill (of 5cc's) today at a Fill Centers USA site. My band card says maximm fill volume of 4cc's. However, I watched her put in 5cc's. When we questioned her about this she said that the tube to the band probably held the additional 1cc. Anyone heard of this??? I am still on liquids, so I am very anxious about how food is gonna go down in a couple of days. Furthermore, I watched her squeeze in 8cc's and asked me if I felt any restrictions, told her no. She withdrew 3 for a total of 5cc's. She said my band was complete empty, air only prior to this.

• 2 weeks later...

I too had my first fill (of 5cc's) today at a Fill Centers USA site. My band card says maximm fill volume of 4cc's. However, I watched her put in 5cc's. When we questioned her about this she said that the tube to the band probably held the additional 1cc. Anyone heard of this??? I am still on liquids, so I am very anxious about how food is gonna go down in a couple of days. Furthermore, I watched her squeeze in 8cc's and asked me if I felt any restrictions, told her no. She withdrew 3 for a total of 5cc's. She said my band was complete empty, air only prior to this.

After doing some research on Inameds web site I learned that the 10cm band can only hold 4cc total

I then called fillcenters usa to reshcedule an appt they had me come in 7-7 and aparently on my 1st

fill 7-1 they missed the port and put up to 5cc into my body there was nothing but air in my band and

they gave me a real fill this time of 2.5cc.I started back on solids today and have absolutly no restriction

at all.With only 1.5cc availible in my band I have been told that it could onlt be .25cc away from restriction

or some people can take the whole 4cc before any restriction at all.I am really concerned about 2.5cc and

nothing.anyone else with a similar situation with either good or bad news.I do understand that everyone is

different with fill amounts.

After doing some research on Inameds web site I learned that the 10cm band can only hold 4cc total

I then called fillcenters usa to reshcedule an appt they had me come in 7-7 and aparently on my 1st

fill 7-1 they missed the port and put up to 5cc into my body there was nothing but air in my band and

they gave me a real fill this time of 2.5cc.I started back on solids today and have absolutly no restriction

at all.With only 1.5cc availible in my band I have been told that it could onlt be .25cc away from restriction

or some people can take the whole 4cc before any restriction at all.I am really concerned about 2.5cc and

nothing.anyone else with a similar situation with either good or bad news.I do understand that everyone is

different with fill amounts.

Pizza Guy -

Do yourself a favor and make sure the doctor uses floro - if not he/she is just guessing. Using floro to see the restriction and verifying that they actually inject the port is the true test of competance. As Chelly pointed out in her fill from yesterday, you can see the barium flow through the band. And after the fill it should retain even the liquids in the pouch and flow through the band slowly.

This is what I hate about doctors in the US.... they charge EVERY TIME they see you, so why do only 2 or 3 fills on a patient, when you can milk them for 8 or 10???

Darrin

Pizza Guy -

Do yourself a favor and make sure the doctor uses floro - if not he/she is just guessing. Using floro to see the restriction and verifying that they actually inject the port is the true test of competance. As Chelly pointed out in her fill from yesterday, you can see the barium flow through the band. And after the fill it should retain even the liquids in the pouch and flow through the band slowly.

This is what I hate about doctors in the US.... they charge EVERY TIME they see you, so why do only 2 or 3 fills on a patient, when you can milk them for 8 or 10???

Darrin

[/quot

Thanks Darrin

I gambled on convience +lower costs and have already lost the gamble.Fills are costing me $155 per visit

$299 for the first and fill centers usa wants another $500 for floro verses flying back to TJ for $400 travel

costs and paying $100 for floro.I think I'll give fillcenters one more chance at $155 on 7-28 If I still have

no restriction I fly back to TJ and get done right.I've started gaining weight and don't want to waste a lot

of time as I have lost alot of weight on pre-op post-op diets.I have been as high as 296 feb 05 and as low

as 232 2wks ago and am back to 242 currently.I am considering going back to liqiuds until I have restriction

as I gain rapidly on solids.

Pizza Guy -

Darrin

Thanks Darrin

I gambled on convience +lower costs and have already lost the gamble.Fills are costing me $155 per visit

$299 for the first and fill centers usa wants another $500 for floro verses flying back to TJ for $400 travel

costs and paying $100 for floro.I think I'll give fillcenters one more chance at $155 on 7-28 If I still have

no restriction I fly back to TJ and get done right.I've started gaining weight and don't want to waste a lot

of time as I have lost alot of weight on pre-op post-op diets.I have been as high as 296 feb 05 and as low

as 232 2wks ago and am back to 242 currently.I am considering going back to liqiuds until I have restriction

as I gain rapidly on solids.

• 1 month later...

Just thought I 'd give an update on my fill problems I went back to fillcenters USA for my 3rd supposed fill

they poked me 10 or 11 times and dug around for about 1 1/2 hours then tell me they can not find my port

I then called TJ and set up a fill apt with dr. Romera on 8-9-06 When I got there DR. Romera told me I had

nothing in my band He then gave me my 1st real fill of 2.0ccs I felt very little restrition for the 1st 2 days

but I now have restriction and can only eat 1/4 of my norm I have rapidly been losing weight with no

probelms at all no pbing or nothing I am full I stop. I spent $350 for my 1st and $155 for 2nd and 3rd fills

at fill centers for nothing. DR.ROMERA filled me in just 5 min with fluro and has aparently hit my sweet spot

on his 1st try as I lost 5 lbs my 1st week on solids with very little effort. Invest the money to fly back to TJ

for your fills besides wasting money I wasted time(2 months of not losing weight)

PIZZA GUY

Just thought I 'd give an update on my fill problems I went back to fillcenters USA for my 3rd supposed fill

they poked me 10 or 11 times and dug around for about 1 1/2 hours then tell me they can not find my port

I then called TJ and set up a fill apt with dr. Romera on 8-9-06 When I got there DR. Romera told me I had

nothing in my band He then gave me my 1st real fill of 2.0ccs I felt very little restrition for the 1st 2 days

but I now have restriction and can only eat 1/4 of my norm I have rapidly been losing weight with no

probelms at all no pbing or nothing I am full I stop. I spent $350 for my 1st and $155 for 2nd and 3rd fills

at fill centers for nothing. DR.ROMERA filled me in just 5 min with fluro and has aparently hit my sweet spot

on his 1st try as I lost 5 lbs my 1st week on solids with very little effort. Invest the money to fly back to TJ

for your fills besides wasting money I wasted time(2 months of not losing weight)

PIZZA GUY

That is SO awesome!!!!! I was thrilled to hear that they regularly do fleuro, as the hospital I was going to go to only does that for the first fill. I don't like needles anyway and am not thrilled at the thought of 10 or 11 pokes only to still miss the band in the end!!!

I'm lucky in that I live in San Diego, so a fill trip to TJ isn't a big deal, but I'm so happy that you finally had a good experience and some restriction.

If you can - it really is worth it to go back to TJ for your fills. The fluroscopy is worth it! Not only can they see your port and the fill level, but the risk of puncturing your port or tubing is extremely low, because the doctor can see what he's doing :)

If you can - it really is worth it to go back to TJ for your fills. The fluroscopy is worth it! Not only can they see your port and the fill level, but the risk of puncturing your port or tubing is extremely low, because the doctor can see what he's doing :)

I went back to TJ for my first fill on August 14th. Dr> Romero said he put 4cc in my VG band. I had no restriction, so on Aug. the 23, which was 2 months to the day from my surgery I went to Flagstaff Az. for a fill. The DR. there pulled out only 1.5cc From my band and said that was all that was in it. He then put 4cc back in and I seem to have good restriction. Its only been 2 days so I still am not sure. But I think I have good restriction. What does that say about my TJ fill? Both were under fluroscopy. hono

Hola Ladies,

• 3 weeks later...

Hola Ladies,

hi i am new also

does anyone know how much a fill cost? be sides going to fills usa. i think my doctors is charging too much.

it cost me 400.00 each time i have had a fill and i have had 3 fills and have not lost any weight.

i am very depressed i had to borrow the money to get this done. and now the doctors are draining me of what i make. my understanding is i need to have a fill about once a mouth. just how do people afford to this type of a diet. i had my surgery in feb. 06. some one please send me some info please.

Everyone is different, but I don't think you should have to get filled once a month! I mean... where's your fill going?

It can take a few fills to get to that sweet spot, but the average is 2 to 3 fills that first year (more with the VG band)

Dr. Ortiz would say.... come back to TJ if you can, we charge less and you usually get a more accurate fill.

Remember you can always call Dr. Martinez if you have any specific questions about your fills.

Everyone is different, but I don't think you should have to get filled once a month! I mean... where's your fill going?

It can take a few fills to get to that sweet spot, but the average is 2 to 3 fills that first year (more with the VG band)

Dr. Ortiz would say.... come back to TJ if you can, we charge less and you usually get a more accurate fill.

Remember you can always call Dr. Martinez if you have any specific questions about your fills.

I ,too, borrowed the money to fly to TJ and have my surgery in April.....I borrowed more money in June because it was recommended that I have OCC do my first fill. After a month I had a fill in the US. In all this time I have not lost but 6#.....I am so discouraged. I cannot afford the cost of another flight and the fill cost in TJ. Last week I was notified that the company I have worked for the last 30 years is closing next month. I think I have failed once more.....I had hoped, NO, I had DREAMED of so much more than this.

I tried contacting Dr. Miranda by e-mail twice in July. I copied my message to Rene and asked if he would relay it to Dr. Miranda. I understand that the Dr.'s are busy people with a hectic schedules....so I'm not exactly suprised but greatly disappointed. I've stopped discussing my surgery with others, they look at me and ask where's all that weight that you were supposed to be losing?? Some people can be so cruel or look at me with pity and I hate that!

So sad,

Dreamer

• 5 weeks later...

I had my first fill on October 4, (1.8 cc) and as of today, October 16, I still really can not eat solid foods well. From the first bite, they get stuck and I end up getting a ton of spit in my mouth (sorry, gross) and then I may pb. I have pb-ed twice and it is hell, but it also helps to relieve the awful pain. I am pretty much living on protein shakes and yogurt right now, with an occaisional attempt at something else, like a bite of it. Since my fill 12 days ago, I have lost almost 5 pounds.

So far, I know I can not eat the following:

1) bread, pizza crust etc.

2) turkey sausage

3) Wendy's chili

4) String cheese

I have had luck with these, but I generally don't eat them:

1) Tortilla chips

2) Wendy's frosty

For some reason, the chips don't get stuck at all. I think it might be due to their greasy nature.

I will call Dr. Martinez and see what he recommends. Good luck everyone!