Another interesting lap band tidbit - this time from the dentist

If you haven't already guessed by now, I am someone obsessed with learning. And I mean learning anything and everything so I ask questions all the time every chance I get.

Or, you can call me a nosy beotch, LOL!!! I admit to both!

Anway, went to the dentist today (OUCH by the way) and mentioned to her about the enormous amount of saliva I expel when I get stuck. She was actually VERY happy to hear that! She said that was wonderful because saliva helps our teeth a lot! The more the better. Although she had not heard that from her other 2 lap band patients she was very interested in this. She said she never heard of it pouring out of me like I explained (yup, it pours an unbelievable amount) but it was just the body's response to inflamation and it was great and the longer I could hold it in my mouth versus letting it drip down the drain, the better. AS LONG AS I DO NOT HAVE ACID REFLUX! If I did, along with the saliva, I would need to get it treated and quickly because that would be disasterous to the teeth.

Inetresting huh? Don't know if I can purposely get stuck just for my teeth nor do I think I can hold saliva in my mouth that long, but hey it was interesting just the same, LOL!

By the way, I MIGHT have to get a root canal. Not sure yet, just a maybe. Depends on if I get pain in the next 2 weeks, if so, YOWZA!

If you haven't already guessed by now, I am someone obsessed with learning. And I mean learning anything and everything so I ask questions all the time every chance I get.

Or, you can call me a nosy beotch, LOL!!! I admit to both!

Anway, went to the dentist today (OUCH by the way) and mentioned to her about the enormous amount of saliva I expel when I get stuck. She was actually VERY happy to hear that! She said that was wonderful because saliva helps our teeth a lot! The more the better. Although she had not heard that from her other 2 lap band patients she was very interested in this. She said she never heard of it pouring out of me like I explained (yup, it pours an unbelievable amount) but it was just the body's response to inflamation and it was great and the longer I could hold it in my mouth versus letting it drip down the drain, the better. AS LONG AS I DO NOT HAVE ACID REFLUX! If I did, along with the saliva, I would need to get it treated and quickly because that would be disasterous to the teeth.

Inetresting huh? Don't know if I can purposely get stuck just for my teeth nor do I think I can hold saliva in my mouth that long, but hey it was interesting just the same, LOL!

By the way, I MIGHT have to get a root canal. Not sure yet, just a maybe. Depends on if I get pain in the next 2 weeks, if so, YOWZA!

Very interesting! Hey Mona, do you have teeth sensitivity? I thought mine would have been over by now, since I was banded almost 5 months ago. But, my teeth still hurt. My dentist said it is not vitamin deficency, that would show in the gums. He said it would be from not chewing up as much food as I used to. (steak, chips etc). I am trying to chew gum but I always forget about it! Anyway, it is really getting on my nerves (how my teeth feel).

Very interesting! Hey Mona, do you have teeth sensitivity? I thought mine would have been over by now, since I was banded almost 5 months ago. But, my teeth still hurt. My dentist said it is not vitamin deficency, that would show in the gums. He said it would be from not chewing up as much food as I used to. (steak, chips etc). I am trying to chew gum but I always forget about it! Anyway, it is really getting on my nerves (how my teeth feel).

Well as you know, I am an odd odd person..............yes, I have extreme tooth sensitivity. Sometimes, my teeth hurt unbearable when I hear heavy metal music playing. They hurt mostly from September to May. Only when it is hot outside I have no problem. I do brush twice a day with senitive toothpaste and have never had my teeth whitened (can't, would kill me with the pain - my dentist wouldn't even try it on me).

That being said, my teeth have actually LOST some of the sensitivity with banding. That is why I was very confused when people said their teeth hurt form less chewing. Yes, weird, I know. Thats me!

I will have to remember to ask my dentist. I go back in 2 weeks so I will try to remember.

Well as you know, I am an odd odd person..............yes, I have extreme tooth sensitivity. Sometimes, my teeth hurt unbearable when I hear heavy metal music playing. They hurt mostly from September to May. Only when it is hot outside I have no problem. I do brush twice a day with senitive toothpaste and have never had my teeth whitened (can't, would kill me with the pain - my dentist wouldn't even try it on me).

That being said, my teeth have actually LOST some of the sensitivity with banding. That is why I was very confused when people said their teeth hurt form less chewing. Yes, weird, I know. Thats me!

I will have to remember to ask my dentist. I go back in 2 weeks so I will try to remember.

I am brushing with Sensodyne also. I have been since it started. Maybe it will eventually go away.

Interesting Ramona!! I go to the dentist next month and he still doesn't know I'm banded.... not sure if I'll tell him or not. I don't know how he'll react and don't want to hear any negativity. Hope you don't need a root cannal.... never had one but haven't heard anything good about them.

Good luck and hope your tooth feels better! Darlene

That is great to hear from a dentist's perspective.

And I love learning too! Sometimes it appears like I'm overanalyzing...but I'm really just trying to make sense of it all!!

I just went to OCC for the weekend and got a slight unfill. All is well and I'm glad I did it. I was too tight and not getting the right nutrients or fluids in because of it.

Anyways...he noted I did have some swelling in my band. Dr. So put me on malaax (spelling?) for 5 days to reduce the swelling caused by too much mucus. It's supposed to break it up. Apparently the band can get clogged, then swollen, because the mucus doesn't always go thru easily. Who knew!

Root canals totally SUCK!!!!!!!!!!!!

Had one, never again. I have a tiny mouth and my jaws hurt for days from having to be held so wide for so long. My dentist said I was not the norm, that most people don't have any problems with them. I don't believe him, though, I know he's just out for the $$$$$$$$. When I have time I have got to get a new dentist.