Quick Question About the Spice...

A new revelation has been made to me through the band...since my third fill, spicy food is bad. I PB'd 3 times yesterday and couldn't figure out why. I was eating (though not the best foods) slowly and not a lot just about 4 bites for each thing--later on I realized that all three things I ate yesterday were spicy and they also tasted super spicy coming back up, too (I do NOT recommend PB-ing the spice). My beloved "hot carrots" are a thing of the past. :(

So, I was thirsty this morning and I went to take a drink of water and if I hadn't taken a couple of laps around the living room the water was going to come back up. I'm pretty sure my band is inflammed--my question to you is: how long do I go on liquids for to help with the swelling? Thank you!

A new revelation has been made to me through the band...since my third fill, spicy food is bad. I PB'd 3 times yesterday and couldn't figure out why. I was eating (though not the best foods) slowly and not a lot just about 4 bites for each thing--later on I realized that all three things I ate yesterday were spicy and they also tasted super spicy coming back up, too (I do NOT recommend PB-ing the spice). My beloved "hot carrots" are a thing of the past. :(

So, I was thirsty this morning and I went to take a drink of water and if I hadn't taken a couple of laps around the living room the water was going to come back up. I'm pretty sure my band is inflammed--my question to you is: how long do I go on liquids for to help with the swelling? Thank you!

So sorry you are going through this! I haven't PB'd on spicy foods because I noticed from the start that I was more sensitive to spices. I can't handle spices like I used to. So, I stay away from it. I suggest you do liquids/soups for a couple days and see how it feels then. Feel better!

I really have to watch my spicy foods too. I have never been a huge spicy food person, but I have quickly learned that foods that are the tiniest bit spicy will set my stomach on fire. When I first started back on solids my stomach was hurting so bad, that it was keeping me up all night no matter what I was eating. I went to the doctor and he prescribed me Protonix and my stomach instantly felt better.

Goodness, I stopped spicy foods long ago. I LOVE spicy foods but I tried them once after the band and I was in hell. Not because of the way it affected my tummy but because I could not wash the spice out with a drink. I had to sit there and allow my saliva to build up to quench the burn. Oh it tasted so good but the fire could not be put out. Now I can do a bite of spice then put in a piece of chewing gum to help with the burn. I do miss my spicy foods but I have not had any heartburn since I was banded. Go figure. :ireful3: :heat: :heat: :heat:

Goodness, I stopped spicy foods long ago. I LOVE spicy foods but I tried them once after the band and I was in hell. Not because of the way it affected my tummy but because I could not wash the spice out with a drink. I had to sit there and allow my saliva to build up to quench the burn. Oh it tasted so good but the fire could not be put out. Now I can do a bite of spice then put in a piece of chewing gum to help with the burn. I do miss my spicy foods but I have not had any heartburn since I was banded. Go figure. :ireful3: :heat: :heat: :heat:

This sounds like me too! Some salsa now is too spicy!

I am right with all of you. I'm Mexican and spicy food is my love, well I should say "WAS", I can not handle the bad heart burn it gives me and the heartburn usually last for a day or two so I really have to watch what I eat. Good luck to you.

I put hot sauce on everything!!!! Once in awhile when something gets stuck it starts to burn a little, but other than that i never have any trouble.

Franks red hot sauce with chile and lime is my favorite :D

Thanks All! I'm glad I'm not alone in this--I was truly fine with the spice during my first and second fills that's why I was slow on the uptake in figuring it out. I ate an egg and a piece of ham this morning, but I lost a couple of pounds 'cause yesterday, even getting water down was somewhat of a problem. It would just sit there for awhile, making it impossible to take another drink. But even though I'm still pretty tight, it's much better today!

Thanks All! I'm glad I'm not alone in this--I was truly fine with the spice during my first and second fills that's why I was slow on the uptake in figuring it out. I ate an egg and a piece of ham this morning, but I lost a couple of pounds 'cause yesterday, even getting water down was somewhat of a problem. It would just sit there for awhile, making it impossible to take another drink. But even though I'm still pretty tight, it's much better today!

I eat spices, dont seem to bother me, but am careful being we cant drinkk. How much fill do you have now. I am debating my third fill on the 13 of this month. I know everyone is not the same, but just wondering what the big differences is between the second and the third. I am scared of getting too tight, but I think I need a little more.

Carrie

I eat spices, dont seem to bother me, but am careful being we cant drinkk. How much fill do you have now. I am debating my third fill on the 13 of this month. I know everyone is not the same, but just wondering what the big differences is between the second and the third. I am scared of getting too tight, but I think I need a little more.

Carrie

Hi Carrie,

I have 3.0 in a 4cc band. I only had .2 put in between my second and third fills. I specifically asked for a small one because I am afraid of being too tight. The Dr. at OCC said he would have put up to 3.3cc's but I would rather go slow since I have the majority filled up. I got the third fill because I was getting super hungry between meals--like 1.5 hours after I ate. Now, it's much better, I'm back to 4-5 hours between meals without hunger. So that's good.

Hi Carrie,

I have 3.0 in a 4cc band. I only had .2 put in between my second and third fills. I specifically asked for a small one because I am afraid of being too tight. The Dr. at OCC said he would have put up to 3.3cc's but I would rather go slow since I have the majority filled up. I got the third fill because I was getting super hungry between meals--like 1.5 hours after I ate. Now, it's much better, I'm back to 4-5 hours between meals without hunger. So that's good.

That is what I am scared of, getting two much, I live 3 hours from my fill doctor and I get them on a Friday, so I want to be very carefull. Has this fill seemed to have helped your weight loss or just your hunger?

Carrie

I put hot sauce on everything!!!! Once in awhile when something gets stuck it starts to burn a little, but other than that i never have any trouble.

Franks red hot sauce with chile and lime is my favorite :D

Oh I am so with you Linda on Frank's Red Hot sauce. In fact, I can have any hot sauce or spicies. Depending on what I eat for the day, determines if I need to 'coat' my stomach ahead of time, which I have a few mouthful of a smoothie yogurt and viola! So far, I have not trouble eating any spicy food. I do, however, eat in moderations with spciy foods and try to balance it out with other plain protein food, such as beans with cheese.

That is what I am scared of, getting two much, I live 3 hours from my fill doctor and I get them on a Friday, so I want to be very carefull. Has this fill seemed to have helped your weight loss or just your hunger?

Carrie

This fill has not only helped with my hunger, but either I'm finally learning after 6 months or it's also helping with the "head" hunger, too. I've lost 2 pounds in 10 days and frankly, Carrie I'm one of those ones that isn't really seeing the numbers move. I started at 247 before the band and as of this morning I'm at 218. I have gone from a size 20W to a size 14W and my body fat has gone from 49.9% to 35.2% as of Saturday so, I am seeing changes in other ways, but damn! I would really like to be under 200 lbs. I feel like I'm working my ass off at the gym 4-5 days a week.

I wish you good luck and can I just say that I think you are really pretty? Very striking. :) Have a good Monday!