What's your Happy Weight?

I’ve been struggling; trying to find “my weight” Self Magazine has an online Happy Weight calculator. I thought it was interesting how it worked and wanted to share.

http://www.self.com/calculatorsprograms/ca...ors/happyweight

Here’s some info about it:

Height and frame size

Your height is used to calculate your weight at a body-mass index of 22, which is in the middle of the healthy range, so it's a good place to start. (You should always aim to keep your BMI under 25.) But there are many different factors that can contribute to your happy weight, including frame size. Go here to determine your frame size - http://www.self.com/health/2008/01/happy-weight-chart

Do you have an obese sibling or parent?

This makes you two to three times more likely to be overweight.

Although women begin to lose 1/3 to 1/2 pound of muscle each year and gain at least that much in body fat as they age, it's possible to prevent some of this weight gain by exercising and eating right.

Do you have children?

Pregnancy results in a 4- to 7-pound weight gain, on average, according to a study in The Journal of the American Medical Association.

How often do you exercise and weight train?

The muscle you build by strength training increases your metabolic rate, so you'll burn more calories.

Recently quit smoking?

Most quitters gain weight, but the health benefits are well worth it.

Do you allow yourself a treat now and then?

"Occasionally indulging can be healthy," says Shiri Morgan, R.D., a dietitian at the UCLA Diabetes Gonda Center in Los Angeles. You'll feel happier if you cut yourself some slack.

I thought this was pretty cool!

Thank you so much for posting this. My friend found a website recently that will take a photo and then in 24 hours show "you" in the photo up to 100 lbs lighter. I've asked her to give me that website. When she gets back to me, I'll post the link here.

Very interesting..... Goal weight is a very tough issue for me at this very moment. I always thought I would be happy when I reached 175lbs but not I am there. :rolleyes: But, I still feel like I am 232lbs and I don't know what to do to change my minds body image. My final goal for weight is 150lbs but this survey says I should be 138 to 144 depending on body type but I feel this is to small, I am very frustrated and confused.... But very, very happy about my choice.

Shy

I figure that I want to weigh about 135 or 140. It says my happy weight is 144 so that's pretty close! I've weighed 140 before [for a VERY short time] and I was pretty comfortable there. Only this time I'd like a tummy tuck & boob job with it! ;)

That is really cool. It says my happy weight would be 169.1, which is about (give or take 5 lbs) I want to be.

Thanks for posting this :)

Thats pretty cool, I am suppose to be 151.2. I was that when i got married 10 years ago and thought I was a fat cow. Huh. Should have been "happy" with that. My fill doc here in South dakota said he does not forsee me getting anywhere below 175. I am not good with that. :blink: I plan to be a hot mama once again.

Lisa,

This is pretty cool. It says my happy weight is 144....uhmmm I dont EVER remember being 144, not sure if I was even born at 144...lol. Honestly I cant even imagine being that, in a weird way its kinda scary for me to even imagine. I can remember weighing around 198 in Junior high, always have been a fluffy girl. This is TRUELY going to be life changing in ever way possible.

Carrie

I figure that I want to weigh about 135 or 140. It says my happy weight is 144 so that's pretty close! I've weighed 140 before [for a VERY short time] and I was pretty comfortable there. Only this time I'd like a tummy tuck & boob job with it! ;)

You are looking at it in the right perspective if you are serious about the tummy tuck and boob job. I had both of those in Mexico 5 years ago and do not regret them for a second. I did however get too comfortable and I gained a lot of weight. After gaining so much weight I am lucky to say that my stomach is still pretty much flat, but I gained in other places. I am not afraid to go to Mexico for this surgery because I had my last surgery done down there. My Dr. was amazing and so was his staff. My parents stayed at the Lucerna and also said they were treated very nice. Being that I always ask for my parents approval and that they are very protective of me, they still were very impressed with my surgery and our stay down there.

wow it says my happy weight is 131 i dont think i ever been that weight or maybe when a was 5 lol, so at the weight iam right now is like two of me in one does that mean my hubby has two wifes in one also? lol hmm lucky guy :P

Thanks Lisa. I have got a little work to do to get to my "happy weight". My goal is 140 and my "happy weight" is 130.2 - but I'll be happy at my goal - heck I am happy now! :D

What a crock of crap. My happy weight at 155. My legs weigh more than that. There is no way I could ever get to 155, so now I'm not happy. I happen to know that my happy weight is about 730 lbs. but that ain't my healthy weight, so I'm just shooting for 200 instead.

What a crock of crap. My happy weight at 155. My legs weigh more than that. There is no way I could ever get to 155, so now I'm not happy. I happen to know that my happy weight is about 730 lbs. but that ain't my healthy weight, so I'm just shooting for 200 instead.

(So this is for girls, if you're a guy....... you don't want to use it - or if you're pregnant.....) and knowing your sense of humor, no not a pregnant guy……

And no you’re happy weight is not 730 pounds, we all know that’s not true!!

200 is good, gets some pictures on the site please!

I would also suggest that those of you who belong to a gym or are thinking about it take advantage of that fitness assessment many gyms offer for free, if not for a small fee. I thought I was suppose to be a minimum of 160 but when I had my assessment I found out my lean body mass (my muscles, bones, vital organs all the good stuff) was 168 so there was NO way I would ever be able to get down to my "goal". Granted I was an athlete who lifted a lot of weights until I stopped playing sports and tend to be on the more muscular side for a women, but we all have different body structures and I hate the fact that you can plug in a number a height and fit into a box when life is not that simple. I honestly suggest to get a real assessment by a trainer because while it is awkward for a couple of minutes (only a couple) it saves a lot of heart ache and pain because you know exactly where your body will stand. I know now that even though I am at 222 and the BMI indicator considers this to be high for my muscle mass I am exactly where I should be. I may seem to be going off on this subject I just hate to see anybody struggle to fit in a box that some just aren't meant to fit into!

Ok, so I checked it out and they say that I should be about 146.1lbs. That seems to small to me, the OCC told me that I should be about 180lbs, My goal weight is 160lbs, and they are telling me 146lbs. I think my goal weight will be the one I will aim for! Its in the middle.

Jenelle

I would also suggest that those of you who belong to a gym or are thinking about it take advantage of that fitness assessment many gyms offer for free, if not for a small fee. I thought I was suppose to be a minimum of 160 but when I had my assessment I found out my lean body mass (my muscles, bones, vital organs all the good stuff) was 168 so there was NO way I would ever be able to get down to my "goal". Granted I was an athlete who lifted a lot of weights until I stopped playing sports and tend to be on the more muscular side for a women, but we all have different body structures and I hate the fact that you can plug in a number a height and fit into a box when life is not that simple. I honestly suggest to get a real assessment by a trainer because while it is awkward for a couple of minutes (only a couple) it saves a lot of heart ache and pain because you know exactly where your body will stand. I know now that even though I am at 222 and the BMI indicator considers this to be high for my muscle mass I am exactly where I should be. I may seem to be going off on this subject I just hate to see anybody struggle to fit in a box that some just aren't meant to fit into!

This is very very true!!!! My happy weight said 136 but my lean body mass is 150 so it isn't even possible to get below that. My bones are huge and heavy too from years of walking and working out.

I might have missed the point of the "happy weight" post but I have to get on my soap box haha! This is just my biggest concern with the whole BMI thing that not everybody is the same and I hate putting people in a box so sorry if I missed the point but I just start rambling when I start thinking about it.

Well, I had to run it with medium frame and large frame and the weight difference was only 6.9 pounds. Then I had to run it with all the different exercise options and the difference there was only about 1 pound each time which I think does not seem like enough. Anyway, the lowest weight it gave me is 149.2 and the highest weight it gave me is 158.1 so my 145 goal may be a little bit too low.

I will be happy anywhere within that healthy range (below 25 BMI).

Dawn