It's finally here!

Hello everyone! I'm TG, I'm 15, and I'm flying to Tijuana tomorrow! Man, time flies really fast. I remember in December when I was saying things like "only 81 days to go!" But now it's here. It's my spring break from school (this way I don't have to miss school). Now, I don't know if you read my thread in lapband for teens, but basically I was asking about the horror of pre-op and my family/friend support system. Now, I have an update on how I'm doing with that and some more questions before I get to Tijuana!

3 months ago I was:

Scared of Pre-op

Ready for my surgery day to be here

My support system three months ago:

My Mom

My Dad

1 Aunt

(Definitely not my sister)

And I didn't tell any of my friends

Now I'm:

Not in Pre-op (hallelujah amen! I didn't have to do pre-op! I was young enough and my bmi was low enough that it wasn't required! I just had to eat healthy and not gain any weight {Which is something I try to do anyway})

Scared... and excited for the surgery

Scared of that IV more than anything

SO ready to feel good about myself

My current support system:

My Mom

My Dad

Both Aunts!

My Best Friend (Yeah... I told her about it. I couldn't NOT tell her. At first she was afraid that it would be worse than dieting, but she was under the wrong impression. Her dad had gastric bypass and is having a lot of problems with it, so she's worried I'm going to be like that. After I assured her that it's nothing like that, completely reversible { Not that I want to reverse it...} and that I will be able to Eat (unlike her dad, who eats practically nothing) just in smaller portions. Now, she's totally excited for me! And that only gets me more pumped up that my best friend is totally with me on this)

My sister... still hasn't come around, but at least she's not out right telling me she's not on board anymore. Eh, what does she know? She's skinny. :)

Here are my questions:

1. Does the IV hurt, Does the IV hurt, Does the IV hurt. I'm SO scared of IVS. It's not even needles... just IVs. The only time I've had surgery before, they put me under before they did the IV. Please tell me the truth, this is my biggest fear. Not the surgery, the IV

2. The paper underwear... you get to put that on yourself right????

3. How much did it hurt after surgery?

4. How long before you were able to go out and really be social? I know that a lot of people are up and shopping the next day, but I'm worried about after I get home two days later, how long before I'm able to leave and go see friends? I want to salvage some of my spring break, if possible.

Thanks!

-TG

(If you want to help out my mom with this :lol:, go to Lab Band for teens. She has a topic under "TG'smom." Thanks again!)

Hey TG!

First of all--CONGRATULATIONS, honey!! You're almost there! I responded to some of the items your mom posted, most notable in that my daughter (age 14) didn't have to do the pre-op diet like I did. I think that led to her contacting Dr Miranda about whether you had to or not. I will tell you that getting the lap-band was one of the best decisions that we have ever made. Good luck as you start this experience!

We had the lap-band surgery on a Thursday, were up and out shopping in TJ on Friday, and back to work and school on the following Monday. Not completely healed mind you, but able to be out and about doing normal stuff. I know that everybody is different, but know that it is possible.

I'm sorry that I can't really address your IV question with an answer that will seem help much. I have absolutely no problems with needles (I work in a hospital and have drawn blood on people and have had my own blood drawn by those wanting to practice), but my daughter is fierce afraid. She did get the IV despite her fears. Don't hesitate to let them know how you feel about it. Trust me, it is normal to be apprehensive. Our minds and bodies are wired to reject pain of any sort. The staff at OCC are real pro's and I know you will do great. (If it's any help, in my 24 years of experience, guys tend to be bigger weenies about it--and the tougher they look the weenier they are-haha!)

I am so glad for you that you have such tremendous support. Please know how fortunate you are. So many folks have faced an uphill battle by those close to them who couldn't see the value in all of this. You are truly loved. All our best to you!!

Diana (and Alyssa)

First off be SO proud of yourself that you are doing this. You will have so much fun. Really enjoy what you are doing and the stress will go away. I will help answer some questions for you.

1. Does the IV hurt, Does the IV hurt, Does the IV hurt. I'm SO scared of IVS. It's not even needles... just IVs. The only time I've had surgery before, they put me under before they did the IV. Please tell me the truth, this is my biggest fear. Not the surgery, the IV I am like you and scared of IV's, if you look in my past posts you will see how scared I was. I am a crier I just down and out hate them. The nurse is SOO good at what she does I did not barely feel it. She really looks at your hand to see where the best place is going to be for it. When you are meeting all the doctors they take you back and put the IV needle in. You are not hooked up to anything till you go into the OR. She takes everyone in one at a time and then you go back to the waiting room to finish the rest of your preop. You will be fine.

2. The paper underwear... you get to put that on yourself right???? Yes, you get to get undressed and dressed by yourself. They have TV's in each room so you can watch satelite while you are waiting. A nurse will then come around and help you put on pressure stockings for surgery. You then get to lay back and relax till the Dr comes in to answer any questions/concerns. Then you wait your turn.

3. How much did it hurt after surgery? The day after surgery we were out walking on Revolution Ave and shopping. Felt really good. Just take it easy, no heavy lifting and do everything at your own pace. Everyone feels different.

4. How long before you were able to go out and really be social? I know that a lot of people are up and shopping the next day, but I'm worried about after I get home two days later, how long before I'm able to leave and go see friends? I want to salvage some of my spring break, if possible The minute you get home you will be able to visit. Remember just your own pace. You might be sore sitting or getting up. I was for about a week. You will have shoulder pain from the gas. Take lots of Gas X. Drink losts of fluids. My fav drinks were the Fuze Slenderize. Follow the post op diet you will be soo happy

Please keep us updated and let us know how you are doing.

Ah, thank you so much! (I was really worried no one was going to answer the paper underwear question before I had to leave in the morning! :o ) I am excited. And I plan on keeping this updated. I'll update as soon as possible after my surgery on Monday.

-TG

You are probably there or on your way by now.. Thinking of you.. Have a great surgery!

Yes, we are thinking of you and please let us know as soon as you get done!

Hello everyone! I'm TG, I'm 15, and I'm flying to Tijuana tomorrow! Man, time flies really fast. I remember in December when I was saying things like "only 81 days to go!" But now it's here. It's my spring break from school (this way I don't have to miss school). Now, I don't know if you read my thread in lapband for teens, but basically I was asking about the horror of pre-op and my family/friend support system. Now, I have an update on how I'm doing with that and some more questions before I get to Tijuana!

3 months ago I was:

Scared of Pre-op

Ready for my surgery day to be here

My support system three months ago:

My Mom

My Dad

1 Aunt

(Definitely not my sister)

And I didn't tell any of my friends

Now I'm:

Not in Pre-op (hallelujah amen! I didn't have to do pre-op! I was young enough and my bmi was low enough that it wasn't required! I just had to eat healthy and not gain any weight {Which is something I try to do anyway})

Scared... and excited for the surgery

Scared of that IV more than anything

SO ready to feel good about myself

My current support system:

My Mom

My Dad

Both Aunts!

My Best Friend (Yeah... I told her about it. I couldn't NOT tell her. At first she was afraid that it would be worse than dieting, but she was under the wrong impression. Her dad had gastric bypass and is having a lot of problems with it, so she's worried I'm going to be like that. After I assured her that it's nothing like that, completely reversible { Not that I want to reverse it...} and that I will be able to Eat (unlike her dad, who eats practically nothing) just in smaller portions. Now, she's totally excited for me! And that only gets me more pumped up that my best friend is totally with me on this)

My sister... still hasn't come around, but at least she's not out right telling me she's not on board anymore. Eh, what does she know? She's skinny. :)

Here are my questions:

1. Does the IV hurt, Does the IV hurt, Does the IV hurt. I'm SO scared of IVS. It's not even needles... just IVs. The only time I've had surgery before, they put me under before they did the IV. Please tell me the truth, this is my biggest fear. Not the surgery, the IV

2. The paper underwear... you get to put that on yourself right????

3. How much did it hurt after surgery?

4. How long before you were able to go out and really be social? I know that a lot of people are up and shopping the next day, but I'm worried about after I get home two days later, how long before I'm able to leave and go see friends? I want to salvage some of my spring break, if possible.

Thanks!

-TG

(If you want to help out my mom with this :lol:, go to Lab Band for teens. She has a topic under "TG'smom." Thanks again!)

The IV is placed in the back of your hand. The nurse who does it has a really good technique. There may be some initial discomfort, but it's pretty cake. I've done a lot of sticks in my time, and I'd dare say she's better than me..(and I'm pretty good haha)