Who do you tip and how much?

Hey Everyone,

Well I am going back to Mexico on the 25th for my fill on the 26th. I was wondering when you are there who are you tipping? Do you tip the cab driver? The OCC driver that picks you up at airport or takes you to the office? Are you tipping the bellman that takes your luggage to your room? Are you tipping the guys on revolution ave when you buy something? When I was there for my surgery I was never a time when I was really by myself, always in a group.

Any info would be great for me and others going there.

Thanks

Julie

I tipped the OCC drivers, and the bell boys at the hotel! I didn't tip the cab drive cause I was paying in American money, and it is so much more valuable than the paceo (sorry about the spelling)

Jenelle

Same here - I tipped the OCC drivers, bell boys at hotel, waiters....I dont tip taxi drivers (did the first time, then was told dont need to)...and I dont tip the guys on Rev. Ave ever

LMAO - okay so I am a tard - the first time I forgot to tip the occ driver - um it was 4 AM!!!!!! And he STILL PICKED us up - then I was so tired I forgot to tip him...so the next time I saw him I gave him $20 to make up for my stupidness

I usually tip $5 - just cuz then they seem to take care of me lol.

I even do that when we go out for the first few drinks - and seriously we are treated like queens for everything. I know lots of people only give a dollar or two though. For waiters - I tip more if they are good...the better they are the more I tip - I used to be in service and I definately try to tip well since I can afford to...they really dont make a lot.

My friend is a waiter at a bar in TJ. He gets paid $20 a shift. Thats it. THEN - at the end of the night he has to take money from that $20 and whatever tips he gets. He has to give something like $6 to the DJ, $5 to the manager, $5 to the bartender and $5 to someone else (I cant remember)...some nights, he takes NOTHING home. They get paid crap - so I keep that in mind. Seeing as most of us make more in 1 hour than they do in an entire day - I like to surprise some of them :)

Def tipped the OCC driver "Jesus" $20 each way to and from the airport for 2 of us. Didnt tip in between the clinic and hotel though. Tipped the cab drivers $5 each way and the bell men $5 every time they handled my bags. DONT tip on Revolution! Such high pressure sales, they got too much from me as it was (but, we had so much fun!). Oh and I tipped the room service guy $5 minimum when he delivered our food and got surprisingly quick service for the rest of our stay!

Hello all !!!

so I see theres defenetly alot of tipping going on lol so Iam wondering how much do you think is a good amount to take in cash? and do you have to change dollars to pesos or no?

You dont need to exchange your money, they def prefer american money! However, you will need small bills because a lot of people wont be able to make change for you (the cab drivers always had american change though). ON the last day I was down to 20's and not even the hotel could give me american change for tipping. People got big tips that day! Also, one problem I ran into....pay phones (I got nonexistant cell service) and vending machines only take peso and getting change for a dollar was IMPOSSIBLE.

You dont need to exchange your money, they def prefer american money! However, you will need small bills because a lot of people wont be able to make change for you (the cab drivers always had american change though). ON the last day I was down to 20's and not even the hotel could give me american change for tipping. People got big tips that day! Also, one problem I ran into....pay phones (I got nonexistant cell service) and vending machines only take peso and getting change for a dollar was IMPOSSIBLE.

OK so ill make shure I take change, and yeah they prefer american money because 1 dollar is worth 10 pesos so if you tip someone 5 dollars your actually giving theme 50 pesos lol sometimes more becuase sometimes the dollar is worth more about 11 pesos but if the service is good then I guess its worth it and yeah payphones in Mexico only work with phone cards so you have to find a store that sales phone cards in order to us a payphone thats a hassle do you guys know if we can call from the hospital or hotel to the US?

OK so ill make shure I take change, and yeah the prefer american money because 1 dollar is worth 10 pesos so if you tip someone 5 dollars your actually giving theme 50 pesos lol sometimes more becuase sometimes the dollar is worth more about 11 pesos but if the service is good then I guess its worth it and yeah payphones in Mexico only work with phone cards so you have to find a store that sales phone cards in order to us a payphone thats a hassle do you guys know if we can call from the hospital or hotel to the US?

THE OCC HAS PHONES YOU CAN USE. AT THE HOTEL, I COULD GET A U.S. TOWER LINE OUT ON THE PATIO. WHEN ANYONE CALLED ME, I DIDN'T ANSWER AND CALLED THEM BACK ONCE I KNOW I WAS ON A US TOWER NOT A MX TOWER LINE

OK so ill make shure I take change, and yeah they prefer american money because 1 dollar is worth 10 pesos so if you tip someone 5 dollars your actually giving theme 50 pesos lol sometimes more becuase sometimes the dollar is worth more about 11 pesos but if the service is good then I guess its worth it and yeah payphones in Mexico only work with phone cards so you have to find a store that sales phone cards in order to us a payphone thats a hassle do you guys know if we can call from the hospital or hotel to the US?

I'm from Toronto, and was using my cell phone at the hotel AND the clinic with no issues.

I was even texting, with no issues.

(I'm just scared to see my next cell bill!)

There is a telephone in each private room at the clinic - which are set up to dial out internationally.

Zero cost to you.