Four Days Until Surgery

I have four days until surgery and I am so proud of myself. I decided to start my Pre Op diet 2 1/2 weeks before my surgery. The first half I had 2 Protein shakes and a Lean Cuisine a day. I switched it up and am doing 3 Protein shakes and a lot of water for the last 7 days. I am down 12 pounds as I weighed in a few days ago. I am real happy that I went about my Pre Op diet the way that I did. It is so easy for me to drink 3 shakes a day because I worked my way up to it. I wanted to do this so it would be easier for me to be strictly on liquids for the 21 days after surgery. I have to say that for the past 2 weeks, I quit smoking, going out to the bar ( I went about 4 times a week before) and I have changed the way I am eating. I stayed in that whole time and did not want to tempt myself and want to do what my friends were doing. Yesterday, I decided to go to a friends get together. Once I arrived, I saw nachos and pizza out. I quickly turned my head and did not look at what else was on the table. I brought tons of Crystal Light on the go packets and my protein shake. I sipped on those the entire time I was there. I did not touch one thing on the food table! I am so proud of myself!! I then decided that I felt I was okay enough to go to the bar with my friends. I did soooo good!!! I ordered two waters at a time and put Crystal Light in all of them. I have A LOT of willpower and never knew I could be so strong.

In four days, I will be banded. My friends who have seen the changes I have made in the past 2 1/2 weeks tell me I should not do surgery and I should just keep up with this diet. I know I could probably do it, but the Lap Band is my willpower. People are already telling me I look younger and how thin my face is getting! I am doing this to prepare myself for life after the Lap Band. I am 26 and do not have any kids. I am about 100 pounds overweight and am getting Lap Band so I can be healthier before I have children some day. I am doing this for me and for my health. Some people that I am close to do not believe I should do this, but they do support my decision. I just have to try and explain why I am doing this. I have so many people concerned about me going to Mexico for surgery. In a way I understand, but I know I will be okay. I had surgery in Mexico 5 years ago and I still have not had any problems. I just want my closest friends and family to support me and know that I want this more than anything! I can do this. My heart is set on a happier, healthier me and I know I will achieve this!

(((((((((((((((((((((((((Hugs))))))))))))))))))))))))))

I'm so proud of you. I can relate to what you are saying about friends saying if you can do pre op then why do the surgery. I am faced with the same thing. I usually respond that unless I was under a doctor's care, I wouldn't be directed to only have liquids or 3 shakes a day, and the only reason I am under a doctor's care is because I'm scheduled for lapband.

I think will power can only take us so far, and then it takes skill power...that's when we need the lapband. I bet we've all followed diets to the letter days, weeks, months at a time, but it's months down the line when something changes in our mind set...

At least it does for me...maybe I get too confident, and I roll back some of the changes and then I get discouraged because I hit a long plateau or worse yet, I begin to gain...then it doesn't seem to matter how much I've lost, I eventually lose all desire to follow any program and then I'm worse than where I was then I started.

That's why I chose lapband. I know it's the tool that will help me when I get to that point.

xo

Thanks for the response Robbyn. You know you are exactly right. I have been on so many diets. My last which I really loved was Nutrisystem. I did it for a few months last year. When I lost 35lbs I started feeling so good. My friends told me how great I looked and I felt so confident. Too confident in the fact that I started slacking on my diet and went back to my old ways. I have my willpower now because I am so dedicated to being banded and learning to use this tool to the best of my ability. I am so excited for surgery and am not afraid at all. The only thing I am concerned about is learning how to use this tool. I know I can do it....one day at a time.

AshleyMarie,

Congrats on your decision, it was the right one for me and I’m thrilled with the results. I’ve done diets for years and wasted a lot of time, energy, effort and money playing the up and down game. Its so hard on your body and your spirit.

The band is a lifelong tool I use to help me eat right. I was on what I called my band diet during the beginning stages, and that was more about learning to eat healthy foods in the correct manner, measuring my foods and the most important part, learning how to eat in bandster fashion, (chew, chew, chew) and not to drink during and after meals. It was really learning the bandster lifestyle. It’s now second habit to me and most importantly that all nagging hunger for food is gone I no longer use food to cover emotions, or whatever. I have time to think before I put food in my mouth, food is now my fuel and I’m learning how to eat to run at optimum performance and add in exercise to bring my body to all around good health.

You’ll do great, you know what’s best for you and don’t let others start you second guessing, just look for their support and let the rest go.

Congrats and you’re on your way to a new you! Have fun on the ride!

Lisa