Update and how much of this is normal?

Just a quick break-down.....My daughter had the surgery last Monday (3-9-09), she is 15. I am supporting her completely in her decision and being a "mother-hen" while she recovers.

Surgery went fine. The day after... we were shopping and laughing on Revolution with just some minor gas pains that were walkable. Trip home was great! I treated her to first-class plane tickets and she sipped juice and read with little to no pain in a seat where she could fly comfortably. That night her best-friend (the only one who knows of the surgery) came over as soon as we got home and kept her company while she rested and ate popsicles. The next 2 days went well also, although she was already tired of the clear liquids and opted for nothing a lot of the time :lb12: . She had little hunger, but felt like she just wanted to chew something *which she wouldnt dream of doing because she is taking the rules VERY seriously!).

Day 6, first bad day :bad: ! My daughter slept all day and ran a fever (incisions look great, no redness, healing nicely). I called the OCC and got instructions (liquid Tylenol and see how she is on day 7). Ate NOTHING on day 6. She says she is just not hungry. Drank several glasses of diluted juice, but very little water.

Day 7....no fever, but diarrhea (sorry if its TMI, but I need to know if this is normal!), and nauseated. Not hungry....down 10 lbs since surgery day(of the 45 that the doctor wants her to lose! :lb12: ). Ive been reading the forum to get some advice and just keep coming across DRINK DRINK DRINK. She is achy also, so I had to put my foot down tonight and MAKE her drink enough water. After one bottle she already feels better! I told her that if she doesnt hydrate herself, I will have to take her to the ER to have it done by IV. I also took her to a restaurant for dinner, one of her favorite places that has a creamy potato soup that she loves. I got her the biggest bowl (and 2 for take home) and she managed to eat half a bowl before she lost interest. I pretty much opt for soups (even when I am feeding my husband and other daughter) so that her and I can eat together, but she says that seeing people eat doesnt bother her. I eat my soup, she barely touches hers.

I really thought I would be calming her because she would be so upset about not being able to eat for 21 days and the opposite has occurred! I need someone to calm me! It is disconcerting to me that she is not eating and just doesnt seem interested in food. I have to talk her in to putting SOMETHING on her stomach and I dont always win.

One more thing.....Since she was 2 she hasnt been able to take any liquid meds. It goes down the throat and right back up. She gags the minute the liquid vitamins and liquid Tylenol touch her tongue. I had to grind Tylenol into powder last night for the fever. Can I do the same with vitamins?

Thanks for any insight!

The most important thing is that she get plenty of fluids. You don't say, but I assume the fever is gone? If not, of course you would want to keep the Dr. informed. I had very little appetite for the first couple weeks and when I did eat, a very small amt satisfied me. I never had diahrrea but I have read about so many people who do have it for quite some time after surgery so I would say it is normal. My Dr gave me a prescription patch for behind my ear to use daily for the first couple of weeks to prevent nausea. You might want to ask the Dr. for something if that continues. The worst thing would be vomiting so avoid that for sure! Sounds like everything is normal as long as her fever is gone!!

Oh, I forgot, but I was able to swallow my meds the day after surgery. My Dr said as long as they fit through the top of a water bottle they are ok. I never had a problem with them. You can cut pills if they are easier. Of course, capsules cannot be cut! Ask your Dr. as some say you need to take liquid, but if that is not a possibility, I would use common sense!! There is no way I could crush my pills and take them in water!!!

Just a quick break-down.....My daughter had the surgery last Monday (3-9-09), she is 15. I am supporting her completely in her decision and being a "mother-hen" while she recovers.

Surgery went fine. The day after... we were shopping and laughing on Revolution with just some minor gas pains that were walkable. Trip home was great! I treated her to first-class plane tickets and she sipped juice and read with little to no pain in a seat where she could fly comfortably. That night her best-friend (the only one who knows of the surgery) came over as soon as we got home and kept her company while she rested and ate popsicles. The next 2 days went well also, although she was already tired of the clear liquids and opted for nothing a lot of the time :lb12: . She had little hunger, but felt like she just wanted to chew something *which she wouldnt dream of doing because she is taking the rules VERY seriously!).

Day 6, first bad day :bad: ! My daughter slept all day and ran a fever (incisions look great, no redness, healing nicely). I called the OCC and got instructions (liquid Tylenol and see how she is on day 7). Ate NOTHING on day 6. She says she is just not hungry. Drank several glasses of diluted juice, but very little water.

Day 7....no fever, but diarrhea (sorry if its TMI, but I need to know if this is normal!), and nauseated. Not hungry....down 10 lbs since surgery day(of the 45 that the doctor wants her to lose! :lb12: ). Ive been reading the forum to get some advice and just keep coming across DRINK DRINK DRINK. She is achy also, so I had to put my foot down tonight and MAKE her drink enough water. After one bottle she already feels better! I told her that if she doesnt hydrate herself, I will have to take her to the ER to have it done by IV. I also took her to a restaurant for dinner, one of her favorite places that has a creamy potato soup that she loves. I got her the biggest bowl (and 2 for take home) and she managed to eat half a bowl before she lost interest. I pretty much opt for soups (even when I am feeding my husband and other daughter) so that her and I can eat together, but she says that seeing people eat doesnt bother her. I eat my soup, she barely touches hers.

I really thought I would be calming her because she would be so upset about not being able to eat for 21 days and the opposite has occurred! I need someone to calm me! It is disconcerting to me that she is not eating and just doesnt seem interested in food. I have to talk her in to putting SOMETHING on her stomach and I dont always win.

One more thing.....Since she was 2 she hasnt been able to take any liquid meds. It goes down the throat and right back up. She gags the minute the liquid vitamins and liquid Tylenol touch her tongue. I had to grind Tylenol into powder last night for the fever. Can I do the same with vitamins?

Thanks for any insight!

Make sure she gets all of her liquids & protein. Also, keep in mind the OCC doesn't want you eating foods that are blended. (I was straining the potatoes in my soup-not mashing them and eating them) She needs atleast 50 - 80 grams of protein a day. I was doing 60 and got very headachy and dizzy. This is just going to depend on her body, and she will learn how much. Again, if she has any dizziness or headaches, she could be dehydrated or low on protein. You can go to GNC and buy Whey Protein shots to add to water. They are 42 grams and come in different flavors.

I would recommend these Chewable Vitamins. They do not taste bad, they are berry flavor & GREAT!! I tried so many vitamins and I found these to be the best. It has everything she needs in them. ( My fill doctor has them in his office )

http://www.bariatricadvantage.com/catalog?...20Berry&so=

Hope this helps!

Thank you! Im going to GNC today to find some protein shots for her! She hasnt gotten any protein in yet, because she was sick on day 7 and HATES all the shakes I bought.

Now I guess I have questions about the creamy soup. Is all creamy soup OK? Im sure at some point even Campbells had to use a blender to get potatoes (or anything) to a creamy consistency. The soup I bought from the restaurant is smooth and liquid enough to be drinken. But I assume a blender was used at some point. Im confused about the creamies...Help!

And, sorry.....fever was gone by the next morning and hasnt returned. She feels pretty good today (day 8), but down 12 lbs now :lb12: .

Tomato soup is a good option, especially when it is made with milk for that extra protein boost. I didn't like the shakes either as I felt they were all gritty. What I have discovered that I like is mixing one scoop of the Slim Fast High Protein powder with 2 cups of milk instead of the recommended 1 cup. By doing this it is basically the consistency of chocolate milk and the taste is like that of chocolate milk as well. This concoction equates to 23 grams of protein

I wasn't one who experienced much hunger either and could pretty much care less if I drank anything - heck, I am still that way. I chose to drink regular strength purple grape juice because that is my absolute favorite and I knew I would drink if that and milk were what I was drinking. I don't remember drinking much water either because I don't really like water - yes, I am picky. You might try getting some of the Crystal Light type drink mixes to help her get some water in. Sugar free popsicles and fudgesicles are a good option if she needs some perking up. Calories are not counted at this stage as the focus is to be on healing and staying hydrated.

Unfortunately I was one of the unlucky ones who experienced diarrhea. Basically, liquid in equated to liquid out. This will change and eventually the opposite may become the issue.

As for the vitamins, sounds like it is time to go back to the Flinstones, or maybe the chewable gummies. You might also see if she likes the V8 Splash stuff. That will help with getting down both liquids and vitamins.

Being tired can be normal because of the decrease of protein and nutrients - this will get better as she is able to move thru the allowed food stages.

On her behalf, thanks for being a protective and supportive mother.