THE LAP BAND VS GASTRIC SLEEVE PROCEDURE

I have been thinking about having some type of WLS for some time now. I am saving up money while I research and figure out what is best for me.

I have come accross a website ( I wont post it here because I dont know if I am supposed to but if you want the address let me Know) that is offering the Gastric Sleeve Procedure for $8500.

The Gastric Sleeve procedure - or Sleeve Gastrectomy - is an operation in which the left side of the stomach is surgically removed. This results in a new stomach which is roughly the size and shape of a banana. Since this operation does not involve any "rerouting" or reconnecting the intestines, it is a simpler operation than the gastric bypass or the duodenal switch. Unlike the Lap-Band® procedure, the sleeve gastrectomy does not require the implantation of an artificial device inside the abdomen.

What advantages does it have?

It does not require disconnecting or reconnecting the intestines

It is a technically simpler operation than the gastric bypass or the duodenal switch

There is no foreign body inside your body

It does not need adjustments or fills

It is performed laparoscopically

This information was taken from that site.

The Lap-Band has lots of advantages as well like:

It is also done laparoscopically

It is the least invasive of the bariatric procedures and has the least morbility and mortality rate

It is a totally reversible procedure

Adjust to every patients needs

20 to 40 min. procedure- I have read different times

Quick recovery

Fullness and satisfaction is experienced with just a small amount of food

The reduced amount intake results in a dramatic weight loss

So which way to go?

Is the lap-band going to work or still be there in 20 years? Really nothing lasts forever! more then likely I am going to have to have it replaced and pay the cost again. I dont think I will ever be able to live with out a weight loss tool of some sort. I also dont like the idea of something being put into my body. Plus with paying for all the fills and traveling it is the same price as getting the sleeve. With the sleeve I wont have to worry about adjustments or PBing or anything getting stuck.

BUT on the other hand the band is reversible and can be adjusted for the individual. Lowest risk....

UGH......I am so torn.

Has anyone else looked into the sleeve? I feel like I have been reading about this stuff forever. I am honestly leaning more toward the sleeve, I just dont want to make the wrong decision for ME.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Gastric Banding:

Reversible 100%

No changes to the body's anatomy (Your digestion processes function the same way)

Adjustable

Minimally invasive

Short recovery time.

Gastric sleeve (or any other gastric procedure involving reducing the physical area of the stomach)

Usually NOT reversible

Not adjustable

can be very invasive.

susceptible to emergency revision (i.e. very shortly after you have the proceedure, if something is wrong, you would have to go through an open procedure to correct it.)

Changes the way you digest food, because there's less stomach surface area.

You generally are required to take supplements THE REST OF YOUR LIFE.

Melly,

I suggest to a couple local seminars by surgeons who do both and talk to the surgeon and patients who've had BOTH procedures done. On this board, there are a lot of newer people who've had their bands for less than 2 years, who are still kind of in the honeymoon period with their bands. I appreciate my band and the new lease on life it has given me. I am a success with my band. Having said that, I'll be honest. I am waiting for the other shoe to drop, have some issue with my band, and end up needing a revision of some sort. I am NOT being melodramatic. Long term, a very significant portion of bandsters end up needing a revision or some sort of repositioning surgery or something. My husband and I have a 'sleeve fund' that we are currently contributing to, so if something happens, the money is there. I know that sounds really negative, and I REALLY hope you understand I am NOT being negative about my band. It has given me a whole new lease on life! I'm going to work for as long as I can. But, I am realistic.

You must not make a choice on a procedure based on something being reversible. Anyone that needs WLS is going to need something there FOR LIFE to keep that weight off. I know if my band went buh-bye today, my weight would come back. Even Ortiz is very clear with you when you go in about that. You will ALWAYS have to get fill and unfills with your band. You won't ever 'get to your goal weight' and never need another adjustment. Thing happen, you get sick, stressed, etc, and you WILL have to get fluid taken out/put in. Weigh all of those things before making a decision. Talk to a lot of people, from BOTH sides...

Warmly,

Most people with the sleeve DO NOT need supplements because there is NO malabsorption with the sleeve. Your body digests food the same way, you just have less stomach to fill. Also, your hunger hormones are removed, which helps with that craving for food all of the time.

good thread - thanks for asking this.

For me, the sleeve wasn't something i was interested in, because it's FOREVER.

At least if my body rejects the band for whatever reason, i know i can remove it, and everything will be back to 'normal'.

i also plan on having children, and knowing i have no way of adjusting my intake of food scares me.

what if you get ill, and need to take in more calories?

what if i start bodybuilding again, and i need to take in more calories?

what if you decide you're mentally prepared and ready to loosen your band?

You can do that with the sleeve.

Most people with the sleeve DO NOT need supplements because there is NO malabsorption with the sleeve. Your body digests food the same way, you just have less stomach to fill. Also, your hunger hormones are removed, which helps with that craving for food all of the time.

I beg to differ, anytime you change the surface area of the stomach, you're reducing the sites of action for the normal goings on of the digestive processes. While you do get some transmission as per normal, because of the reduced stomach surface area you don't get the full nutritional effect. It's a simply math problem....the surface area of the stomach is directly proportionate the amount of nutrients absorbed.

The gastrin and somatostatine hormones you're referring to aren't completely eliminated, but are significantly reduced.

Sorry, but biology says otherwise.

• 1 month later...
I beg to differ, anytime you change the surface area of the stomach, you're reducing the sites of action for the normal goings on of the digestive processes. While you do get some transmission as per normal, because of the reduced stomach surface area you don't get the full nutritional effect. It's a simply math problem....the surface area of the stomach is directly proportionate the amount of nutrients absorbed.

The gastrin and somatostatine hormones you're referring to aren't completely eliminated, but are significantly reduced.

Sorry, but biology says otherwise.

Actually - absorption takes place in the small intestine, not the stomach. The job of the stomach is to break down the food & prepare it for absorption.