Laparoscopy Shoulder/Diaphragm Pain

DanR

It is my understanding that the shoulder/diaphragm pain following laparoscopy can sometimes be the most painful part of recovery. It is also my understanding that this phenomenon can be almost completely avoided through several means such as removing the C02 before the end of the procedure, heating and humidifying the C02, injecting local anesthetics, or performing what is known as gasless laparoscopy.

Does OCC use any of these techniques?

Besides moving around as soon as possible, is there anything else (specific movements/exercises) that can be done to quickly eliminate shoulder/diaphragm pain?

I am not a dr. I am an RN. I can tell you that after having had surgery on Jan 12, I never had ONE bout of shoulder pain. I took one pain pill post op--that was at about the 3 day mark, and it was for some neck pain. I had that twice, at the back of the neck. Each time lasted about 5 min or less, and was relieved by a heating pad. I also had 2 instances of midsternal chest pain, each also lasted about 5 min. These 4 instances of pain were all within about 10 days post op. One of the instances of chest pain was in the middle of the night, and went away in less than 5 min.

I do think it helped that I religiously followed all post op instructions, and walked a lot. Easy road for me. Sandra

I am not a dr. I am an RN. I can tell you that after having had surgery on Jan 12, I never had ONE bout of shoulder pain. I took one pain pill post op--that was at about the 3 day mark, and it was for some neck pain. I had that twice, at the back of the neck. Each time lasted about 5 min or less, and was relieved by a heating pad. I also had 2 instances of midsternal chest pain, each also lasted about 5 min. These 4 instances of pain were all within about 10 days post op. One of the instances of chest pain was in the middle of the night, and went away in less than 5 min.

I do think it helped that I religiously followed all post op instructions, and walked a lot. Easy road for me. Sandra

That sounds great, Sandra! Thanks! I tolerate pain well, but I want to be back as close to 100% ASAP :)

I had my surgery on March 4/09 and had tons of shoulder pain, even while walking all over San Diego for three days. The Gas-X strips helped a bit. It hurt, but it was not unbearable. Knowing why I was having the pain made it easier to get through, it's only a couple of days. Don't know if that helps, but that's my experience. :--)

• 3 months later...
I had my surgery on March 4/09 and had tons of shoulder pain, even while walking all over San Diego for three days. The Gas-X strips helped a bit. It hurt, but it was not unbearable. Knowing why I was having the pain made it easier to get through, it's only a couple of days. Don't know if that helps, but that's my experience. :--)

You said in your post you knew why you were having the pain in your shoulder. What is the cause?

• 1 month later...