gall stones

Hello ladies, I have not been on here for ever! I had surgery last April I think the seventh. I have been super busy, I am taking the state Nursing test this May. So needless to say weight loss has not been my number one priority :( I have only had one fill, I have been so busy with school that when I had time to go get the fill I took a break with my kids. I also hate flying so that doesn't make it any easier. Anyways enough excuses, I am wondering if anybody has had any problems with gallstones after surgery. The summer after my surgery I went to the emergency room with severe abdominal pain. I thought there was something wrong with my band. It turns out I had gall stones, or one to be exact. I was wondering if anybody else went through this since they are more common among overweight people who loose weight rapidly.

I don't have gallstones - thank goodness, but my gallbladder has decided to basically stop working. At the time it was tested it was only working at about 2%.

I see that you live in KS. I am not sure where you live in KS, but have you thought about locating a doctor closer to home to do your fills? I am a patient at Weight Loss Surgical Center and not sure if they do fills on people banded elsewhere or not, but it is worth a shot. They have offices in Overland Park and Wichita, and maybe another place or two in KS. Dr. Malley in OP also does fills on patients banded elsewhere. The additional cost of the fill should be about the same as the cost of a plane ticket and then you wouldn't have to fly.

Hi,

Gallstones after weight loss is common as is gallstones with being overweight. Not fun either way! I had gallstones prior to being banded and had my gallbladder out. Best thing I ever did! I also live in Kansas, Manhattan actually, and I have had fills at both places that Smiley mentioned. I personally think I like Dr. Malley the best b/c he is actually a surgeon who does the lapband and he is cheaper, but I liked the WLSC also.

Where are you at in Kansas? I am also a nurse and I know exactly what you are talking about being so involved in school and now boards. Once boards are over you can take a deep breath and just chill for a while. Try not to stress yourself too much over boards. If you have done well in school, you will do fine on the boards. And for now try to avoid as much fatty foods as you possibly can to avoid a gallbladder attack. And just take baby steps with your band right now until you get your life settled after boards. Good luck to you.

dawns

My mom recently experienced discomfort in her chest, so I took her to the hospital. It turns out she had a gall stone. After doing some research, she determined her "attack" was relatively mild. She didn't want to worry about future problems or change her diet, so she decided to have her gall bladder removed. They removed it laparoscopically and she experience very little discomfort. I think she returned to work about five days later. If you have the option to have it removed, it seems to be an easy procedure with minimal recovery.

I had my gallbladder out six weeks after my first child was born. I just couldn't cope with night-time feedings and night-time gallbladder attacks (which is when I always got mine). The recovery from this surgery is about the same as lap-band....should be fine withing five days. I don't know how bad your pain is when you have an attack, but mine were worse than my labour pains so it was an easy decision for me- take that thing OUT! My sister and close friend have the attacks too but their pain is more manageable so they've opted to not have surgery and instead try to watch what they eat, avoiding fatty foods.

Sabrina:)

I live in Garden City Kansas. I have thought about going to get my fills here but I am somewhat apprehensive of going to someone new. It always helps when someone recomends their doctor because then you know they have been through it. I will look into going to Dr. Malley and see if he does patients who had their surgery elsewhere. When it comes to the gallstone pain, it doesn't happen often I've only had it twice in a year, but when I get it I get it bad. I am hoping to get surgery this summer after my boards test. Like Dan said I hope to get it done laparoscopically as well. Dawn I go to Manhattan all the time! My aunt and cousin attend the University there. Well good luck everybody in your weight loss journey. Dan good luck with your surgery, you are in the best hands you could possible be for this surgery.

Susy