US Travel Warnings

shiney42

Ok So I'm a NB & have NO idea if this will be deleted

However with todays news of them finding Fr Jesse E. Euresti, body in the bordering city of Nuevo Laredo and 12 more tortured & executed bodies over this weekend. Does anyone have any thoughts on this? I mean Even priest are getting killed. Just how bad are things there? I know one town has nothing to do with another, But the stories about TJ aren't that much better. I am told that I would get picked up at San Diego's Airport and drive 2 miles, I would assume those are highway miles, Just How safe is it?

And how serious do us US citizens adhered to our governments travel Alerts? I’m not trying to scare anyone! And am about a hair away from booking soon as the kids get out of school, But I really think this should be discussed. I hope this thread doesn’t get deleted, It is our safety.

Please share your thoughts.

I think if my husband heard all this he wouldn't let me go. Out of fear for my Safety.

I know if my Son wanted to go to Mexico for spring break I wouldn't let him. I would love to hear from all & if you have been there recent would be even better.............

OK am I thinking way too much here? I ask too many questions at times - I just want to cover all scenario

Thank You

shiney42

Please mods I would think this is an important topic don't delete

Hi Shiney,

This has been a topic that has been discussed many times over. Lori actually has a response up above - take a look and make sure to read it. We live in scary times, for some reason (and this isn’t just a Mexico thing) killings are up all over. I had a friend whose relative from abroad called her to ask if she felt it was safe for them to go to NY, they have been reading so much about the violence (in the US) in Europe and were really worried. She thought it was funny, I got it, look at what's been in the news lately.

Would I let my teenager go to Mexico alone, no – but here’s why – they can put themselves in situations that are dangerous and make stupid decisions. (Sorry to all you teenagers and I know we have some super bright one’s on this board, however I have a couple of guys that there’s no way I’d let them go).

However would I go – yes. I would be cautious, remain in safe areas and just focus on my surgery and not travel around. I’d listen to the Hotel staff – they are really focused on serving you and want you to be safe – as well as Dr. Otiz’s staff.

That’s my opinion, you have to make yours based on you comfort level. And if you do go, use common sense.

Best regards,

Lisa

• Like 1

I understand what you are saying, and you could tell your friend that NY death rate has gone down every year since 1965. New York came in as the 15th safest state, an improvement from the 20th spot in 2008. So when you are able to read stat's like that so easy versus What's going on in Mexico it is alarming.....

Sorry about starting another thread, I've been doing major reading here & must have missed a complete topic on it...

thanks I go check it out

shiney42

Ok So I'm a NB & have NO idea if this will be deleted

However with todays news of them finding Fr Jesse E. Euresti, body in the bordering city of Nuevo Laredo and 12 more tortured & executed bodies over this weekend. Does anyone have any thoughts on this? I mean Even priest are getting killed. Just how bad are things there? I know one town has nothing to do with another, But the stories about TJ aren't that much better. I am told that I would get picked up at San Diego's Airport and drive 2 miles, I would assume those are highway miles, Just How safe is it?

And how serious do us US citizens adhered to our governments travel Alerts? I’m not trying to scare anyone! And am about a hair away from booking soon as the kids get out of school, But I really think this should be discussed. I hope this thread doesn’t get deleted, It is our safety.

Please share your thoughts.

I think if my husband heard all this he wouldn't let me go. Out of fear for my Safety.

I know if my Son wanted to go to Mexico for spring break I wouldn't let him. I would love to hear from all & if you have been there recent would be even better.............

OK am I thinking way too much here? I ask too many questions at times - I just want to cover all scenario

Thank You

shiney42

Please mods I would think this is an important topic don't delete

99% of the violence has been within the drug gangs fighting some kind of turf war along the US/Mexico border. The OCC is located in a very commercial area of TJ. It's about a mile from the border along the main avenue, the Lucerna is about 8 blocks further south,, along the same avenue. The OCC van drivers stay along this route and there's never been any problems to my knowledge.

Oh I don't know Lori and maybe someone could post the link cause I don't know where to look. And is the thread recent. Cause things could change from month to month...........

Thanks

shiney

LoriBecky is a patient coordinator at the OCC. I tried finding her post, but couldn't I will keep looking. But here are a couple more:

http://www.lapbandforum.com/index.php?showtopic=10027

http://www.lapbandforum.com/index.php?showtopic=9562

99% of the violence has been within the drug gangs fighting some kind of turf war along the US/Mexico border. The OCC is located in a very commercial area of TJ. It's about a mile from the border along the main avenue, the Lucerna is about 8 blocks further south,, along the same avenue. The OCC van drivers stay along this route and there's never been any problems to my knowledge.

This is exactly what I thought, too.

And after talking to a few San Diegoians, they said the same thing.

It's very gang/drug related.

People that have been held hostage usually have a connection, one way or another (diplomats, ect)

They don't want common-day folk like us.

No sense in forwarding fear-mongering -- something the media is awesome at doing.

Shiny, everyone has their own comfort level about travel and safety. Like anywhere there are 'bad' areas in every city. I think we've had 10 murders in my city this year and they were all drug related. There are areas I would not venture alone in. Same with TJ.

My experience: Get picked up at the airport in the OCC. Its a six lane freeway to the border, then a six lane boulavard, high volume traffic travelling fast for a couple klicks, turn right enter a secure underground garage. The clinic itself is a fortress, all doors locked buzzers to get in and out etc. OCC Van to the hotel, again same major blvd to the hotel. Excellent location also security conscious. OCC Van to the airport. The only dodgy area is probably the blocks around the SD airport. Lots of homeless enjoying that warm weather. lol

If you google Nuevo Laredo, you'll see its on the opposite end of the border over by larado texas, they have a completely different set of problems. There are pockets of trouble along the border but there are good areas too.

There have been some good threads on this. someone posted a map of TJ with the trouble spots. check that out.

Thanks Dolittle If you have never been there you have NO idea what roads are safe. As I watched the news this morning Mexico's Secretary of Tourism had a spokesperson & explianed that there ARE HOT SPOTS But places that were troubled like TJ have come under control and how even though things sound bad it's bad for the drug dealer not the tourist. Thanks to Felipe Calderón things are getting better..... All good to know =D>

Enjoy your day

Shiny, everyone has their own comfort level about travel and safety. Like anywhere there are 'bad' areas in every city. I think we've had 10 murders in my city this year and they were all drug related. There are areas I would not venture alone in. Same with TJ.

My experience: Get picked up at the airport in the OCC. Its a six lane freeway to the border, then a six lane boulavard, high volume traffic travelling fast for a couple klicks, turn right enter a secure underground garage. The clinic itself is a fortress, all doors locked buzzers to get in and out etc. OCC Van to the hotel, again same major blvd to the hotel. Excellent location also security conscious. OCC Van to the airport. The only dodgy area is probably the blocks around the SD airport. Lots of homeless enjoying that warm weather. lol

If you google Nuevo Laredo, you'll see its on the opposite end of the border over by larado texas, they have a completely different set of problems. There are pockets of trouble along the border but there are good areas too.

There have been some good threads on this. someone posted a map of TJ with the trouble spots. check that out.

WOW see that's great to hear, my sister will be my companion and I would hate for her to be travling back & forth to the clinic feeling nervous. She does have her own family and is doing me a great favor, I wouldn't want her to be uncomfortable. I figured clinic was sucure I'm glad I asked, I have spent hours looking at threads and haven't come across on that spoke deeply on travel,

I have even gone back to page 4 reading topics.............

Well thanks again

shiney

LoriBecky is a patient coordinator at the OCC. I tried finding her post, but couldn't I will keep looking. But here are a couple more:

http://www.lapbandforum.com/index.php?showtopic=10027

http://www.lapbandforum.com/index.php?showtopic=9562

Thanks once again, I'll catch you at your blog :D

Ok peep's I'm heading out to get a pass port just hoping it doesn't take forever .......................