Shocked outta My Head!!

Okay,

I decided to see what else was out there for forums and I was shocked at what some of these people are posting one month after surgery! Drinking carbonation and alcohol and eating all of this crazy food? People giving advice saying that it is okay to drink carbonated beverages as long as they are diet and that this person is not hurting their band by doing it? WTF? I have a sick feeling that many doctors in the U.S. are NOT preparing their patients for the lapband--can somebody help me out with this? I cannot believe how shocked I am. Sorry for the rant, but I can't believe someone was drinking beer and eating chicken wings less than a month after surgery. Isn't their body still healing? How is this possible?

This is what happens when people rely on the internet for ALL of their medical information. I see it EVERYDAY at work where someone "googled" some symptom and they think they KNOW what is going on with them. Hey, I love google like everyone else, but you have got to be smart about the information received. We do a good job here on lapbandforum. Yeah for us - now can someone help me off of my soapbox?

Okay,

I decided to see what else was out there for forums and I was shocked at what some of these people are posting one month after surgery! Drinking carbonation and alcohol and eating all of this crazy food? People giving advice saying that it is okay to drink carbonated beverages as long as they are diet and that this person is not hurting their band by doing it? WTF? I have a sick feeling that many doctors in the U.S. are NOT preparing their patients for the lapband--can somebody help me out with this? I cannot believe how shocked I am. Sorry for the rant, but I can't believe someone was drinking beer and eating chicken wings less than a month after surgery. Isn't their body still healing? How is this possible?

That is crazy! I am 6 months out and I am not planning to ever pick up a soda again. I feel If I can give it up a month before surgery, and still haven't drank it..l can do without it. It is SOOO bad for you anyway, even without the band! Did you post anything?

Okay,

I read on that site as well, and find myself suprised at what I found just like you. I have posted some information I put together as far as prices for local Drs and fills. What suprises me to know end is the extremes of information. Some Dr's do not require any pre-op diet, some have there patients on mushies right after surgery. There is a lot of information that is different from what I have read on here, Dr. Ortiz's book and other literature on the web. I guess I consider myself very blessed to have joined this forum. I have posted my knowledge in situations that I felt I had something to offer. I joined initially because I was interested in finding locals to chat with. Unfortunatly the Nebraska board is DEAD. Not a huge suprise really. I pop in to read the April Bunny Bansters 2009 thread, because I am getting banded in April. This forum has great information and support. It can be slow going on posts. (Right now I am still hungry for knowledge! :D ) I have contacted a fellow bandster from Lincoln. We actually talked on the phone, which was very nice!

Angela - I so hear you on this! When I read the threads and the replies back, my jaw just dropped! I couldn't BELIEVE how these folks think it's ok??? It just goes to show you how Dr Ortiz is adamant in following his regime in losing weight. His staff is prepared, experienced, and knowledgeable about the lapband, and are committed for the utmost of your health and benefits of the band for your life.

It's been over 8 months since I've had a soda pop and you know what? I don't miss it! There are other drinks that benefits me more than drinking carbonated drinks constantly. I know that I can now have one, but I am not interested in them. I like NOT having a bloated stomach, NOT having the sugary substance in me, NOT having the headaches, and so on. Having one occasionally is ok if I want one but it's not in my near future right now. All I can think of is plain water, hot cocoa, crystal light, fruit juices, coconut water...

As far as the food goes, it's amazing their pouch can withstand what they are eating?? I mean, we have a addition smaller new stomach now, and since I've never tried it and stuck it through thick and thin, HOW can you eat all that and not upchuck it all?? I don't have room for what they all eat! BUT, then they don't have restriction either and I guess they can eat it and not feel it. But still!! The whole purpose of the band is to eat smaller portion...right?

Anyway, I stopped reading further and didn't leave a comment on that thread for fear I would be bombarded with all the nasty replies of being a 'miss goody shoe shoe'...no thank you! I am in this band journey for me and will share my success with others, who wants the same goal as I am and is determine and serious to "get going and pump up!"...like to all of youse! (smile)

That is crazy! I am 6 months out and I am not planning to ever pick up a soda again. I feel If I can give it up a month before surgery, and still haven't drank it..l can do without it. It is SOOO bad for you anyway, even without the band! Did you post anything?

I used to drink soda like water--and I think I've had one at about 7 months post op. It hurt to drink and tasted way too sweet. So, I just stick with water and a couple of cups of coffee a day. I did post something as nicely as possible that in my instructions I was told to not have carbonation for the first six months and to please be careful with what he eats as he is still healing. Truthfully I was so shocked that I didn't know what to say...cause what him and his doctor needs are slaps upside the head in my honest opinion.

Angela - I so hear you on this! When I read the threads and the replies back, my jaw just dropped! I couldn't BELIEVE how these folks think it's ok??? It just goes to show you how Dr Ortiz is adamant in following his regime in losing weight. His staff is prepared, experienced, and knowledgeable about the lapband, and are committed for the utmost of your health and benefits of the band for your life.

It's been over 8 months since I've had a soda pop and you know what? I don't miss it! There are other drinks that benefits me more than drinking carbonated drinks constantly. I know that I can now have one, but I am not interested in them. I like NOT having a bloated stomach, NOT having the sugary substance in me, NOT having the headaches, and so on. Having one occasionally is ok if I want one but it's not in my near future right now. All I can think of is plain water, hot cocoa, crystal light, fruit juices, coconut water...

As far as the food goes, it's amazing their pouch can withstand what they are eating?? I mean, we have a addition smaller new stomach now, and since I've never tried it and stuck it through thick and thin, HOW can you eat all that and not upchuck it all?? I don't have room for what they all eat! BUT, then they don't have restriction either and I guess they can eat it and not feel it. But still!! The whole purpose of the band is to eat smaller portion...right?

Anyway, I stopped reading further and didn't leave a comment on that thread for fear I would be bombarded with all the nasty replies of being a 'miss goody shoe shoe'...no thank you! I am in this band journey for me and will share my success with others, who wants the same goal as I am and is determine and serious to "get going and pump up!"...like to all of youse! (smile)

I'm with you Jude--I am not the poster lapband child by any means with my constant battle with sugar, but I just didn't feel that I should leave the comment I wanted to--so I just left a "nice" one.

I was banded here in the states and was definitely told no carbonated beverages for the first six months. I followed that rule to a tee, even after I discovered a lurking caffeine free diet coke in the back of my fridge. I did finally pop it open in late September of last year which was 7 months post-op and spent the next 4 hours drinking it. I had no problem drinking it and probably had one or two a month from October thru January, but I always took it slow to allow time for the carbonation to escape.

I had my diet coke on Super Bowl Sunday. I was at a Super Bowl party at the home of one of my friends who has a band. He has never been able to drink carbonation since being banded and was shocked that I could. However, that was the last time I made that attempt as it did not seem to go down very well and made me want to burp a lot, in the end I did not even finish it. Just thinking about carbonation now makes my chest feel funny. So, my remaining 11 caffeine free diet cokes will be used to make cakes whenever I take one somewhere.

I have not read the post you all have been referring to, but I am wondering if the banded individual simply is not following the rules? One of the problems I recognize on a regular basis is that we are all still human and have the ability to make our own choices. The unfortunate part is that we don't always chose well.

A chocolate cake mix and a diet coke (or anything diet) makes a very moist and delicious chocolate cake. I have also used a spice cake mix with cream cheese frosting. This was done pre-band, and I am embarrassed to tell you how many meals this cake replaced.

If you want to make a white or yellow cake, just use diet sprite. While the cake still may not be super healthy, it is better than adding the egg and oil and makes less of a mess. I heard one person that tried it with cupcakes and the first batch turned out great, but the wait time for the second batch let the carbonation leave the mixture and they didn't rise so well. So, if you want to try it with cupcakes, make sure you are able to bake the entire mixture at the same time.

((((((((((((Sabrina))))))))))))

I have made diet coke cakes and I've also used soda (coke) to marinate chicken. The recipies I have for soda cakes is just a can of soda and a box of cake mix. That's all. No eggs, no oil, no water...

It is amazing how good they are.

xo

Part of the reason I joined this board, (while not an OCC patient) is that as a new bandster I too was shocked at the behavior of the newbies on the "other" boards. Folks here seem well grounded and are the type of bandsters I want to model myself after!

I kid you not-- one woman who was 8 days (8 DAYS!!) post surgery said she had consumed half of a chicken salad sandwich (with bread) AND then a bagel a short time later. OMG.

This was not because she was never told..... it was because she willfully wanted to "test" her restriction. :o

I think the issue with those folks who are not following many (or any) of the standard rules for post surgery band behavior is due to several factors.

they simply ignore the surgeon's rules. Do you know that people just don't pay attention? For example, we were told in the handouts to NOT bring blackberries or palmpilots or phones to the hospital. So, I kept mine home. The other lady in the room played on hers all afternoon.... we had the same surgeon. Same with bringing a c-pap machine mask. We were told to bring our own from home. Did anyone else besides me do this? Nope! :rolleyes:

1. They read that someone else could do this or that, and so they think its okay to do it too. Its sort of a sense of entitlement... hey, home come THEY get to do that?? Iwanna too! <_<

Hi Forum,

I am almost 3 years post op.

Just got home from my regular (not band) doctor here in SC. I am seeing him because I have been burping for 2.5 years non stop.

Guess what? It might be from the soda I have been drinking since 4 months post op.

JUST a precaution.....the carbon in soda (can't remember the oxide) but it contributes to the burping which in turn contributes to the terrible uncomfortable feeling I have been having almost 3 years.

Also, through my learning, we swallow air every time we eat and drink. If that air doesn't escape properly (at least for me) there is horrible gas.

And another thing....DRINKING through a straw can supposedly contribute to the gas.

I am no expert, but I have been researching this for quite some time and would just like the gas to stop. Seems as though it may never stop, but I am switching to a diet high in fiber with no....MEAT, BREAD, CAFFINE or SODAS as of today to see if it helps. I am also starting on a stool softener.

Anyone who's read my "drama" for the last 2.5....wish me luck!

Soda=not good

Michele