Passport

Desperate4Size7

#-o Waiting is torture!....

I can't even send away for one - cause you have to send them your BC and they mail it back with the passport........

I leave on May 19th - 23rd... I wouldn't have it for ID, so soon as I get back I'll have to send away :blink:

Just a suggestion...try applying for a passport at your local police station.

I know it sounds scary to send away your original birth certificate. I can't tell you how many people flipped out when we would tell them that at the police station at the department I used to work for.

The good news is...YOU WILL GET YOUR BIRTH CERTIFICATE BACK.

You can also pay to expedite your passport, but it will cost you!

I had lost my original birth certificate, so I contacted the hospital where I was born and they sent me a new one. I think it cost $15.

:-)

The post office may have a list of places you can go in and have your passport information processed. For me it was the local City Hall. You can also go to the US Department of State website if you're looking for a US passport, or start http://travel.state.gov/passport/get/first/first_830.html

I got my passport the traditional way and it seems like it came much sooner than the 6 weeks, though it will depend on the amount of passports they are trying to process at that time. My fiance got his passport in an afternoon but you have to be willing to take the time and expense for the expedited route.

On another note, Cleo, there's a name and face I haven't seen for awhile. How've you been?

Yeah I went right to City Hall too, it shortens it by a step cause City Hall takes the picture then when going to the Post Office, But I get band on May 20th, and thinking I had time cause you need a passport after June 1st. so I thought I'd apply for the Passport now so I'd have it for my first fill, but I need it to get through the border .... So I just have to do it soon as I get back on May23rd........... but they are coming soon then the 6 weeks

I live in Oregon, I am also a passport agent. Right now the turn around is aprox. 4 weeks. But as summer gets closer the waiting time gets longer. We are now being told to tell those applying 4-6 weeks. Just for the passport it is 100.00. To expedite (rush) it costs an additional $60.00, and to express mail, you include 14.85 in with the price of everything else on the check. Then 17.50 in a separate check to rush it there. With all of this they say 2-3 weeks. This is our latest update as of April 2009.

I work at a Courthouse. And like Cleo says you do get your birth certificate back.

I just can't part with my BC till after I get back on May 23rd.......

I think your local county records office can make a copy of your birth certificate, but there may be a charge for that. I know where I live you have a choice of either a regular copy or a raised seal copy. Both will cost, the raised seal version more than the regular.

I live in Oregon, I am also a passport agent. Right now the turn around is aprox. 4 weeks. But as summer gets closer the waiting time gets longer. We are now being told to tell those applying 4-6 weeks. Just for the passport it is 100.00. To expedite (rush) it costs an additional $60.00, and to express mail, you include 14.85 in with the price of everything else on the check. Then 17.50 in a separate check to rush it there. With all of this they say 2-3 weeks. This is our latest update as of April 2009.

I work at a Courthouse. And like Cleo says you do get your birth certificate back.

:rolleyes: Thank you for the info, so... for the passport including photos and to expedite the process, am I looking about $200 - $250 for a passport (per person)?

• 2 weeks later...
I think your local county records office can make a copy of your birth certificate, but there may be a charge for that. I know where I live you have a choice of either a regular copy or a raised seal copy. Both will cost, the raised seal version more than the regular.

I had just sent away for this one. You have to send in a raised seal one, and they won't take a copy.. I'm really not sweatin it @ this point - long as I get there for the 19th - I'm good, I'll have a passport in hand for my 6 week fill :D

But thanks

• 4 weeks later...