---->LAP-BAND OR BYPASS?????

Hello again

For the last three months I have done so much research on the Lap-Band (LB). I also became very excited to hear all the success stories and the side effects were nominal. So I told my brother about it too.

...Today, my brother went to his doctor and asked about the Lap-Band for himself, to my surprise, his doctor told him not to do the LB because it cases CANCER and that he should have a bypass (BP) which would be safer than the LB!!???!??? :o ..... this bursted my bubble!

Does anyone know how common cancer is with the LB and why should I have the LP vs the BP?... I am now so confused and concered!!!

Thank you again for your time,

Bella

First I've heard cancer is associated with Lap-band and I've been around the block a few times, so I'm going to have to call bullshit on that. What type of doctor did he go to? Did they say what type of cancer? Medicine is a wide-ranging field and if you ask a doctor about something outside of their realm of expertise you can get some pretty crazy answers sometimes. Some doctors are just dead set against weight loss surgery in general. I used to have a doctor who once told me in the same breath I needed to lose 150 pounds and to not get any surgery. Bye bye and have a nice day. Thanks for the help there doc. Needless to say I don't go to her anymore. The general physician I started seeing a short time later was thrilled I got the surgery and have been able to make it work for me. This is a subject where it does matter who you talk to.

I've heard that continued acid reflux can cause esophageal cancer but I've heard as many people say their acid reflux problems were solved by the band as opposed to continuing or being new. Most people who have reflux problems appear after being banded are too tight and once their band is loosened it goes away.

Oh, and one more thing: No way bypass is safer than LB, the death rate is much higher during surgery and if you run into problems later on down the road, you're screwed because they can't put your intestines back in. They CAN however take the band out. My fiance had his band taken out in January due to a slip. After weeks of not being able to eat solids within 48 hours of the surgery he was back to normal and enjoying solid food again.

It has been about 2 years since I started researching the lap band and in the past two years I have never once heard anything about the lapband causing cancer. I don't think his doctor had his information in the correct working order. I mentioned it to two of my doctors before I had the surgery and they were both very supportive, never saying anything about cancer. In fact, my primary doctor is trying to convince his niece to have lapband and his sister-in-law did have it about 2 years ago.

I have heard that artificial sweetners can cause cancer, but I sure do put two packets in every glass of tea I consume. I have also heard that the sun causes cancer, and although I do apply sun lotion when I am going to be out in it and then re-apply it, I still end up sun burnt every blessed time. Sometimes we just have to go forward without living in fear of what something might cause. One thing I do know is that obesity causes many other diseases that are also life threatening, some of which I believe have been certain types of cancer.

I would be curious to know what this doc was talking about. Frankly if I couldn't have got the band I wouldn't have had any WL surgery. I know several people who have had bypass issues. On this board there are lots of people who know others with major complications or death from bypass. If you are sure that's all that matters! I have heard people at my insurance place (I wasn't banded through the insurance though) badmouthing the band and talking about how great bypass will be or the sleeve will be. Why? Because they lose weight faster. That doesn't mean it's healthier though! Good luck and I hope this doc can give some study examples to back up his opinion....

Karen

I agree, he may be associating the fact that patients who have acid reflux have more cases of throat cancer. Throat cancer has been linked to GERD (acid reflux) and this can be something we have with our bands if they are too tight, however it’s not a long term issue since you can loosen your band, which nulls that out. But they also say that coffee and tea are associated with throat cancer and most of the other junk food we put into our mouths.

I’m trying my best to really keep in control of my band, and not get it to the point were its too tight that I have acid reflux. I own that.

The reason I like my band more than the others, is that we’re in control, we manage the band – the band doesn’t manage us. We can keep it too lose and eat too much (then blame it when it doesn’t work) or keep it too tight and blame it when we can’t eat or have acid reflux. The truth is – it’s our band – we can fill it up or fill it down or work to get it so it’s working just right – but we have to work as hard as it is. And add in exercise and eat right, you've got yourself an awesome tool to help you lose weight for life. Its worked great for me - lost over 130 pounds to date and did it in a healthy and safe manner.

With other weight loss surgeries they change your body – I personally have seen too many failures. And I want my body just as God made with, with a tiny little tool added…..

What I like about my band is it can change as you do; we tighten it as we lose the weight to eat less; we loosen it when we reach our goals to eat more - try that with gastric.

Hello again

For the last three months I have done so much research on the Lap-Band (LB). I also became very excited to hear all the success stories and the side effects were nominal. So I told my brother about it too.

...Today, my brother went to his doctor and asked about the Lap-Band for himself, to my surprise, his doctor told him not to do the LB because it cases CANCER and that he should have a bypass (BP) which would be safer than the LB!!???!??? :o ..... this bursted my bubble!

Does anyone know how common cancer is with the LB and why should I have the LP vs the BP?... I am now so confused and concered!!!

Bella

Here's another fact,, American Doctors make a whole bunch more money off the Gastric By-pass than the band. In the area where I live, the Gastric by-pass surgeons dragged their feet when it came to offering the lap band option to their weight loss surgery patients. They weren't very happy about it and are still not happy. Remember,, it's always about money in the weight loss surgey business. I guess if you were a surgeon and could make 3 times the money on a by-pass over the band, which would you want to promote? To make up the money,, they only fill a newbie bandster with little blind fills, so they can ding the insurance a few extra times. One of the biggest complaints I hear from these patients is that it takes them forever to get restriction. It drives me nuts when I hear these types of stories.

I agree, he may be associating the fact that patients who have acid reflux have more cases of throat cancer. Throat cancer has been linked to GERD (acid reflux) and this can be something we have with our bands if they are too tight, however it's not a long term issue since you can loosen your band, which nulls that out. But they also say that coffee and tea are associated with throat cancer and most of the other junk food we put into our mouths.

I'm trying my best to really keep in control of my band, and not get it to the point were its too tight that I have acid reflux. I own that.

The reason I like my band more than the others, is that we're in control, we manage the band – the band doesn't manage us. We can keep it too lose and eat too much (then blame it when it doesn't work) or keep it too tight and blame it when we can't eat or have acid reflux. The truth is – it's our band – we can fill it up or fill it down or work to get it so it's working just right – but we have to work as hard as it is. And add in exercise and eat right, you've got yourself an awesome tool to help you lose weight for life. Its worked great for me - lost over 130 pounds to date and did it in a healthy and safe manner.

With other weight loss surgeries they change your body – I personally have seen too many failures. And I want my body just as God made with, with a tiny little tool added…..

What I like about my band is it can change as you do; we tighten it as we lose the weight to eat less; we loosen it when we reach our goals to eat more - try that with gastric.

><' OMG Lisa, you're right. I forgot that my brother has GERD really bad to a point where he is having a difficult time swallowing food and he has some kind of "bubble" that pops out of his esophagus .. (not sure exactly what it's called. Perhaps that is why his doctor insists on the BP(?) (he's 130 lbs over weight). I was so heart broken to hear about "cancer" which floored me. I agree with you all, I don't want my organs cut, what an awful thought!

I feel so much better now about the LB decision again. I am so emotional with happy tears right now because my heart was so broken, and to sign into this forum and receive support from people that don't even know me and from people whom already have reached their goal weight and yet still take the time to come on here to give advice to the rest of us is so comforting, thank you all so much!!! :wub:

I love you all!!!

Bella

Let me tell you honey,, I HAD OPEN bypass in 2001. It is the worst surgery EVER!! HORRIBLE. if the band was around back then I would of done the band. I ened up getting the band over the bypass because the bypass will work for about a year then things change!! It did for me and I ended up ganing back 80 of the 180 I had lost.. So forget the bypass the stoma will stretch no matter how careful you are.. GO FOR THE LAP BAD!!! I lost 70 since my surgery day 7/1/08 and my Brother had his placed 4 weeks ago and had lost 30 lbs. Men are always fast losers anyway no matter how you look at it... LOL!! Good luck,, and the cancer thing is completely FALSE!! Dr's do make lots and lots of $$$ on bypass and in this economy that is what they are out to do.. Believe it or not... My Brother In Law is and ER Dr. and looking for job because of cuts.. Xo Lisa =)

Hello again

Bella

I also spoke with my doctor at Kaiser. He said to definately do the lap band rather than the gastric bypass. There are so many bad side effects with the gastric bypass and much more invasive. I have researched the lap band for over a year. Yes, some people have a few problems. But nothing as horrible as some of the results from gastric bypass. The lapband problems were really minor and easily corrected. I am having my surgery May 22,2009 and am a little nervous, but excited. I have total faith in Dr. Ortiz and can't make to become healthier.