Got banded in Feb and very frustrated

Hi,

This is my first post. I joined because I needed some support with all of this. Some background info. I got banded on Feb 1 and have had 3 fills, but up to this point, I didn't feel much of a difference. I've been eating pretty much the same as before my band. I've only lost like 20 lbs in 3 months. Yesterday, I got filled again and for the first time, I felt nauseous and actually vomited twice. Is that normal? I had a salad for lunch and then I was sick until 10 at night when I finally decided to try and sleep it off. Any tips or advice? at times I feel like I might have wasted my money on this as I'm not seeing the results I'd like.

FYI, I did my surgery in Kuwait.

Don't get discouraged because you are not seeing the results you would like, take pride in the fact that you are seeing results. The weight didn't go on overnight and it won't come off overnight. This band is a life long tool for you to learn to use. You said you are eating pretty much the same as before - that concerns me if you are eating the same amount as before. I was told to limit my food intake to 1 cup and if I am still hungry 30 minutes after eating that 1 cup that I can have another 1/2 cup of something. If what you meant by being able to pretty much eat the same now as before was portion size, just because you can doesn't mean you should. In fact, this principle applies to the types of food, chewing and drinking with meals as well. There are a lot of things we "can" do, but that doesn't mean we "should" do them, especially if we are going to be a partner with our band.

I didn't really feel restriction until almost a year after I was banded, but for the most part I wasn't hungry either because I had the right amount of protein and water intake and I watched my portion control. If you are having head hunger, that is an entirely different story and is something that has to be dealt with from a mental standpoint and not a hand to mouth standpoint. I don't know that feeling nausous and vomiting twice is normal. When I do PB, I don't necessarily feel nausous, but if it gets to the point that my stomach rolls, it is just a matter of moments before I will have to give it up.

When I have a fill I am supposed to be on clear liquids for 24 hours, full liquids for 24 hours and mushies for another 24 before I can go back to regular food. Is this the same with you, as you said you had a salad for lunch. Regardless, I would suggest going on liquids for a little bit as it sounds like you may have irritated your band, and when the band is irritated you need to be at its mercy. If you have not already started doing so, it is definitely time to start paying attention to how well you chew.

Since you did your surgery in Kuwait, do you also live in Kuwait?

First of all I want to say CONGRATS on the 20 lbs! That is wonderful!

Second I wanted to share this with you. I posted this a couple of months ago and it has really helped me.

I had lunch with a friend of mine that was banded two years ago and is a size 4 now. I have been getting so frustrated, today is 4months for me! I have decided I HATE SCALES. I was weighing everyday, then twice a week and then once a week. My friend told me to stop EVERYTHING that I was doing and to live, just live life. She told me that I have now went from being obessed with food, to know being obessed with scales, protein, fiber, weights, walking, everthing I do or say is about this band which will cause so much stress and depression. She could have not been so correct. I think I thought ok, I have the band, the weight is going to fall off, wow was I WRONG! The more I was wrong the more obessed with doing everthing correct the more discouraged I was getting because I was doing everthing correct and the weight was still not falling off. I hope that makes since, feel like I am rambling. I have decided to live, just live life. Keep eating the correct food with my exercise but just live. This has been for the past week or two. Well guess what. I went for my third fill yesterday and am happy to report I had lost 9 lbs of fat and gained 3 pounds of muscle since my last fill a little over a month ago.

That post sounds like forever ago to me... I think I was around 220??? (not 100% on that) Monday morning I was at 207.8. I do eat good food choices and I do exercise, which I think is a HUGE part of this journey!

Keep up the good Work

Carrie

Don't get discouraged because you are not seeing the results you would like, take pride in the fact that you are seeing results. The weight didn't go on overnight and it won't come off overnight. This band is a life long tool for you to learn to use. You said you are eating pretty much the same as before - that concerns me if you are eating the same amount as before. I was told to limit my food intake to 1 cup and if I am still hungry 30 minutes after eating that 1 cup that I can have another 1/2 cup of something. If what you meant by being able to pretty much eat the same now as before was portion size, just because you can doesn't mean you should. In fact, this principle applies to the types of food, chewing and drinking with meals as well. There are a lot of things we "can" do, but that doesn't mean we "should" do them, especially if we are going to be a partner with our band.

I didn't really feel restriction until almost a year after I was banded, but for the most part I wasn't hungry either because I had the right amount of protein and water intake and I watched my portion control. If you are having head hunger, that is an entirely different story and is something that has to be dealt with from a mental standpoint and not a hand to mouth standpoint. I don't know that feeling nausous and vomiting twice is normal. When I do PB, I don't necessarily feel nausous, but if it gets to the point that my stomach rolls, it is just a matter of moments before I will have to give it up.

When I have a fill I am supposed to be on clear liquids for 24 hours, full liquids for 24 hours and mushies for another 24 before I can go back to regular food. Is this the same with you, as you said you had a salad for lunch. Regardless, I would suggest going on liquids for a little bit as it sounds like you may have irritated your band, and when the band is irritated you need to be at its mercy. If you have not already started doing so, it is definitely time to start paying attention to how well you chew.

Since you did your surgery in Kuwait, do you also live in Kuwait?

Thanks Smiley,

not only for your words of encouragement but for educating me as well. Yes I live in Kuwait and honestly i didn't get much as far as instructions of how much i should be eating and what i should be eating right after a fill. the only thing i was told was to eat slowly and chew well. as i read everyone else's blogs, I'm learning so much. You're probably right about being head hungry. I've been reaching mainly for sweets when I do eat, especially puddings and custards. why did it take a year for you to feel any restriction? my doctor told me my band can hold 9 cc's and so far he's filled it up to 6 cc's. will keep you posted on how i'm doing. thanks again,

arianna

Hi,

This is my first post. I joined because I needed some support with all of this. Some background info. I got banded on Feb 1 and have had 3 fills, but up to this point, I didn't feel much of a difference. I've been eating pretty much the same as before my band. I've only lost like 20 lbs in 3 months. Yesterday, I got filled again and for the first time, I felt nauseous and actually vomited twice. Is that normal? I had a salad for lunch and then I was sick until 10 at night when I finally decided to try and sleep it off. Any tips or advice? at times I feel like I might have wasted my money on this as I'm not seeing the results I'd like.

FYI, I did my surgery in Kuwait.

ONE TO TWO POUNDS A WEEK, LOOKS LIKE YOUR AN AVERAGE LOSER :)

First of all I want to say CONGRATS on the 20 lbs! That is wonderful!

Second I wanted to share this with you. I posted this a couple of months ago and it has really helped me.

I had lunch with a friend of mine that was banded two years ago and is a size 4 now. I have been getting so frustrated, today is 4months for me! I have decided I HATE SCALES. I was weighing everyday, then twice a week and then once a week. My friend told me to stop EVERYTHING that I was doing and to live, just live life. She told me that I have now went from being obessed with food, to know being obessed with scales, protein, fiber, weights, walking, everthing I do or say is about this band which will cause so much stress and depression. She could have not been so correct. I think I thought ok, I have the band, the weight is going to fall off, wow was I WRONG! The more I was wrong the more obessed with doing everthing correct the more discouraged I was getting because I was doing everthing correct and the weight was still not falling off. I hope that makes since, feel like I am rambling. I have decided to live, just live life. Keep eating the correct food with my exercise but just live. This has been for the past week or two. Well guess what. I went for my third fill yesterday and am happy to report I had lost 9 lbs of fat and gained 3 pounds of muscle since my last fill a little over a month ago.

That post sounds like forever ago to me... I think I was around 220??? (not 100% on that) Monday morning I was at 207.8. I do eat good food choices and I do exercise, which I think is a HUGE part of this journey!

Keep up the good Work

Carrie

Thanks Carrie. You're right. I feel like that's all I think about and how funny because I've been weighing myself daily and at times twice a day. And when it doesn't show that I've lost anything I get so discouraged and run for the sweets. I figured what's the point. I know that's the worst thing I can do because those were my old habits and got me to this weight in the first place. I need to just live and focus on other things. I guess I'm also realizing that the band is not going to do miracles overnight. prior to surgery, I had such high expectations and was so excited that i was counting down days til my surgery. and then when i didn't see results, It was a real drag. From reading everyone else's comments, the weight does come off. Thanks again, I'm new to all of this and really could use support. I live in Kuwait and there aren't any support groups. In fact, I didn't ever see a nutritionist or was given real instructions or any of that.

Arianna

Arianna,

I can tell you that you have came to the right place. There are SO many WONDERFUL people on this board who will give you 110% support. I have started a food Journal and have stayed under 1200 calories a day, 60 oz of water and alot of exercise. I have never worked harder in my life to eat right and exercise as I have with this Band. You have to work with it. I finally got that and the results have been great!

Good Luck and keep us posted!

Carrie

I just have to add...I know we expect to lose more - but were you able to lose 20 lbs in 3 months before? To me, that is awesome!

Hi,

WOW I was looking at your weight loss chart. Congrats that's awesome. How were you able to lose so much in such a short time? My starting weight was 195 and now I'm at 171. . . My goal is 140 So I've got a ways to go. By the way, how can I get that weight loss chart to track my progress? sorry totally new to all of this.

arianna

If what you meant by being able to pretty much eat the same now as before was portion size, just because you can doesn't mean you should. In fact, this principle applies to the types of food, chewing and drinking with meals as well. There are a lot of things we "can" do, but that doesn't mean we "should" do them, especially if we are going to be a partner with our band.

Very good advice! It has been stated here before that the most successful folks with the band do not test it to see how much they can eat before the band gives its signals to stop, but how little. Of course that doesn't mean eating 6 beans and half of a wheat thin, but it does ask you to be the driving the force of it, you know? Many of the folks here were banded in Mexico by Dr Ortiz. He tells you that you should be able to, with the correct fills/adjustments, eat about one third of the amount that you normally would have without the band. So, if you would normally eat a whole sandwich and a handful of chips for lunch, you should barely be able to comfortably finish the first half. I do not tempt myself by making the whole sandwich, thinking that I'll save the other for lunch tomorrow or whatever. That only tempts me to eat the other half. I make 1/2 of a sandwich, and then that's it. Also, my husband and son eat on regular dinner plates, and my daughter and I eat on the dessert plates (which at first seemed microscopic--haha). For me that really helps. There just is not room on the plate for all kinds of food. Another instruction from Dr Miranda was to eat your protein first, then eat your vegetables. Doing it that way hardly allows you to think about any dinner roll or dessert, etc.

You are going to be successful at this--everyone here is rooting for you!!

Thanks Smiley,

why did it take a year for you to feel any restriction? my doctor told me my band can hold 9 cc's and so far he's filled it up to 6 cc's. will keep you posted on how i'm doing. thanks again,

arianna

I have the large band as well. My surgery was 2/29/08. My first fill was the beginning of April and they put 4 cc's in my band. In May they put 2 cc's in. By June I was losing the typical 1-2 pounds a week, so she thought I was close to my sweet spot and just put a small fill in. In July the fill person changed (boy is he cute) and he was kind of under the same impression based on my weight loss so we went with another small fill. In August my grandmother passed away and I was honest with him in that I was keeping my food intake to a cup during that week, but the contents of the cup were questionable because we ate what we could when we could. We were also gearing up for the school year at work which meant I wasn't taking time to exercise like I should have and still eating what I could when I could, hence the reason I had only lost 3 lbs. that month, so we didn't do a fill that month. Beginning in September he changed the way he did my fill. We would do a barium swallow to make sure everything was okay and then he would put the needle in give me a little fill, and I would stand up and do a barium swallow. This allowed him to take the fill up or down until it looked like I had the proper amount of restriction. This is how we continued doing fills thru the end of Feb. 2009. I was told that most people with my band size hit I their sweet spot around the 7 cc level, but I guess I just required more. My fills and all follow up visits for the first year were included in the cost of my surgery.

Even though it appeared that I had good restriction on the flouro I couldn't "feel it" in that I could not feel liquid or food in my pouch or when it went thru the band as some can, unless I didn't chew well. :o I limited my portion to one cup, so that may be why I never got the feeling that says "stop - you are full". My first pb came in January because I didn't chew something well enough. Some people think they have restriction when they pb, which may be true, but it isn't a good way to measure normal restriction, only restriction that has you too tight. It was the end of January when I could finally tell when things were going thru my band. I still couldn't feel them, but I could hear them. A noise that sounded like a semi-clogged drain draining would come from my chest as liquid and food went thru the band. I now get that feeling/thought, "if you eat another bite . . . ," which means stop eating because I don't want to find out what happens if I eat another bite. I have been eating an ear of corn while typing this and I now have that feeling - so no more corn for me. I will also go throw it away, otherwise I will be tempted to finish it when I know space has been made available.

I would seriously suggest liquids for a few days after your fill. This allows your band to calm down if there has been any swelling and it also helps to mentally prepare you for the fact that you need to re-establish your relationship with your band. What you were able to do before the fill may be a thing of the past, so you have to learn the new set of rules that exist. There is a post on here about "You might be a bandster if . . ." and I probably need to make an addition to it, in that, "You might be a bandster if you eat cream of chicken soup for dinner one night just because it sounds good." I can honestly say I didn't know cream of chicken soup could be eaten any other way than in a casserole until I had my lap band put in.

Hope some of this helps. Stay in touch with this forum and you will get the education and support that has not been given to you by your surgeon. As for the nutritionist, I didn't have one either, but after a lifetime of dieting and trying to lose weight I knew what proper nutrition was, I just needed to do it.

• 2 weeks later...

Arianna,

I also live in Kuwait and am interested in where you got your procedure done. I don't have my Lap Band yet. The Royal Hyatt Hospital said I have to fly to Dubai, but I really don't want to leave the country. Any info you could give me would be great! Congratulations on your progress!!!

Arianna,

I also live in Kuwait and am interested in where you got your procedure done. I don't have my Lap Band yet. The Royal Hyatt Hospital said I have to fly to Dubai, but I really don't want to leave the country. Any info you could give me would be great! Congratulations on your progress!!!

oh wow you're also in kuwait! small world. I had it done with Dr. Sharraf at Salam hospital. I'm not sure why you'd have to fly to Dubai. Dr. Sharraf is great and does many lapband surgeries here. I was given his name by someone else. My only complaint is that as you know in kuwait, I was given a lot of instructions on when and how to eat, or like I didn't know I wasn't supposed to drink with my meals, and so forth. I've learned a lot from this forum. Let me give you his contact info...

Dr. Khaled Al Sharraf

2223 2000 ext. 1235

He usually takes appointments in the evenings as he does surgeries in the mornings. Good luck and let me know how it goes.

Arianna