I Had A Spell

I am starting to feel old by utilizing the term "spell" for a problem I had. On Friday, while getting ready to go to my dr. appt., I got to feeling kind of nauseous and dizzy. I have had this happen many times before, so I wasn't super concerned about it. Typically it happens when I have my arms up working on my hair or face and if I will just drop my arms I will recover. I dropped my arms this time, but didn't recover very well so I sat down for a minute. After still feeling like I was going to pass out I made a mad dash for my bed. After about 5 minutes I started feeling better and got up to finish getting ready. Then, it happened a second time and I went directly to my bed. It got worse while I was laying on the bed, but did eventually subside to the point that I could function. I was ready to call my plastic surgeon to say I would be late and then call my staff to come pick me up and take me to the doctor, but after a glass of milk and a little more time I felt like I could drive and get there.

When I got to plastic surgeons office I had regained my color, but not my demeanor. They offered me some peanut butter crackers and Sprite, but I didn't want anything at all to eat. This had absolutely nothing to do with my plastic surgery, it was just their office I was going to. I told him I was going back home after the appointment and he felt like I was okay to drive so he did let me go, otherwise he said I would not have been going anywhere. When I got to my car I changed my mind and called my primary doctor and they worked me in.

My primary doctor ran some blood pressure tests and also drew some blood (boy was that fun with cut up arms and no good veins in my hands). I have always had good blood pressure and pulse and still did even when it tested its worse at the office. The problem was that my heart rate had a 10 ?point? difference between when I was resting and when I was standing up, and there should have been no more than a 5 ?point? difference. My primary thinks that I may be low on sodium, which means I am kind of dehydrated. I have been drinking plenty of water, but if I do not have enough sodium in my body to retain that water and hydrate myself I just pee it out without getting much benefit from it. So, I was sent home and told to eat some sodium. I am not a salt eater, never have been and never will be (makes me nauseous thinking about eating it), but I am now paying attention to the amount of natural sodium in my food to make sure that I get enough. I have felt much better in the past couple of days and did not have a problem while getting ready at all this morning, and in the past few months I had most mornings.

Sodium content in foods was in the news this past week so I did go on the Chili's web site and see how much sodium was in my favorite salad there. It has 2650 mg, which is a lot, but when it takes 4 meals to consume that entire salad I get about 650 mg per meal - which may be off a little because I get the grilled chicken instead of the fried. If I have that for 2 meals a day and then add in my milk and breakfast I will be getting less than 2000 mg for that day. I am supposed to try and get in between 2000 and 3000 mg.

He did say something about putting me on blood pressure medicine to keep my heart rate steady. The problem is, that when I work out this will not allow my heart rate to go up. I don't like this idea and will fight it tooth and nail. If my heart rate doesn't go up when I exercise, will I be benefitting cardio wise from exercise? Right now I am just hoping it is the sodium issue and that I will be able to correct it by eating enough. The lap band is supposed to help people that have blood pressure issues, not create the problem in someone that doesn't - not that it is the fault of the lap band, I'm just saying.

So, for now I have a privelege that many people only wish they could have, a directive from my physician to eat more sodium - who'd have thought this would ever be an issue?

I felt something like this after my tummy tuck, had my husband pick up some protein water for me - it really helps - it has the sodium plus lots of other good for you things.

Once you're done with recovering focus on your diet and making sure you're eating right then see if you need the medication - if you need it, you need it. There's no fighting it, - you don't want to deal with what could happen.

Hope you feel better soon! I can’t wait to see your pictures!

Lisa

I am starting to feel old by utilizing the term "spell" for a problem I had. On Friday, while getting ready to go to my dr. appt., I got to feeling kind of nauseous and dizzy. I have had this happen many times before, so I wasn't super concerned about it. Typically it happens when I have my arms up working on my hair or face and if I will just drop my arms I will recover. I dropped my arms this time, but didn't recover very well so I sat down for a minute. After still feeling like I was going to pass out I made a mad dash for my bed. After about 5 minutes I started feeling better and got up to finish getting ready. Then, it happened a second time and I went directly to my bed. It got worse while I was laying on the bed, but did eventually subside to the point that I could function. I was ready to call my plastic surgeon to say I would be late and then call my staff to come pick me up and take me to the doctor, but after a glass of milk and a little more time I felt like I could drive and get there.

When I got to plastic surgeons office I had regained my color, but not my demeanor. They offered me some peanut butter crackers and Sprite, but I didn't want anything at all to eat. This had absolutely nothing to do with my plastic surgery, it was just their office I was going to. I told him I was going back home after the appointment and he felt like I was okay to drive so he did let me go, otherwise he said I would not have been going anywhere. When I got to my car I changed my mind and called my primary doctor and they worked me in.

My primary doctor ran some blood pressure tests and also drew some blood (boy was that fun with cut up arms and no good veins in my hands). I have always had good blood pressure and pulse and still did even when it tested its worse at the office. The problem was that my heart rate had a 10 ?point? difference between when I was resting and when I was standing up, and there should have been no more than a 5 ?point? difference. My primary thinks that I may be low on sodium, which means I am kind of dehydrated. I have been drinking plenty of water, but if I do not have enough sodium in my body to retain that water and hydrate myself I just pee it out without getting much benefit from it. So, I was sent home and told to eat some sodium. I am not a salt eater, never have been and never will be (makes me nauseous thinking about eating it), but I am now paying attention to the amount of natural sodium in my food to make sure that I get enough. I have felt much better in the past couple of days and did not have a problem while getting ready at all this morning, and in the past few months I had most mornings.

Sodium content in foods was in the news this past week so I did go on the Chili's web site and see how much sodium was in my favorite salad there. It has 2650 mg, which is a lot, but when it takes 4 meals to consume that entire salad I get about 650 mg per meal - which may be off a little because I get the grilled chicken instead of the fried. If I have that for 2 meals a day and then add in my milk and breakfast I will be getting less than 2000 mg for that day. I am supposed to try and get in between 2000 and 3000 mg.

He did say something about putting me on blood pressure medicine to keep my heart rate steady. The problem is, that when I work out this will not allow my heart rate to go up. I don't like this idea and will fight it tooth and nail. If my heart rate doesn't go up when I exercise, will I be benefitting cardio wise from exercise? Right now I am just hoping it is the sodium issue and that I will be able to correct it by eating enough. The lap band is supposed to help people that have blood pressure issues, not create the problem in someone that doesn't - not that it is the fault of the lap band, I'm just saying.

So, for now I have a privelege that many people only wish they could have, a directive from my physician to eat more sodium - who'd have thought this would ever be an issue?

((((((((((((((((((((((((Smiley)))))))))))))))))))))))

I'm glad you're feeling better. I can kind of see where you're coming from with the sodium. I went on a no sodium diet once (it was called the rice and fruit diet. It was like 2 cups of rice a day and 5 peices of fruit only) and I felt dizzy and sick like a caffine withdrawl for the first few days. I thought it was because I was going through a withdrawl from the sodium, but after reading your email, I bet it's more of what your doctor said.

Drinking lots of water will wash out your sodium. You are perfectly right Smiley! I have this problem as well as I have low BP anyway and then drink lots of fluids. I get very dizzy as well. He could give you salt tabs but they are big. I agree with you about the med for HR. Nobody wants to ADD a medication if we don't have to. Have you thought about drinking a sports drink? They are always loaded with electrolytes. :D

Drinking lots of water will wash out your sodium. You are perfectly right Smiley! I have this problem as well as I have low BP anyway and then drink lots of fluids. I get very dizzy as well. He could give you salt tabs but they are big. I agree with you about the med for HR. Nobody wants to ADD a medication if we don't have to. Have you thought about drinking a sports drink? They are always loaded with electrolytes. :D

I hadn't thought about the sports drink. I will look into getting the small bottles of Gatorade as I am not a huge fan of any sport drink, unless it is fruit punch flavored. I did have to drink 32 ounces of Gatorade before my plastic surgery, so I can probably handle a small amount of Gatorade each day just to make sure I am staying hydrated.

Thanks for the suggestion!

Very weird that I read this today, because I have been having the same problem. But then the past couple of days my stomach has been cramping and just yucky feeling...don't want to eat...hmmmm. Maybe I need to try a sports drink or two myself! Thanks for your post!

Jacklyn