Foods to avoid after surgery???

Was looking at the UCSD website for post op diet stuff just for sh*ts and giggles and saw a list of foods to avoid after lapband. These foods were my most favorite "healthy" foods :(( . Has anyone had a problem with these foods and what is the reasoning behind avoiding them?

"Foods To Avoid

After you have transitioned to solid foods, you should try to avoid certain foods. Such foods include, but are not limited to:

Dried fruits

Asparagus

Pineapple

Rhubarb

Corn (especially popcorn)

Grapes

Nuts and seeds (walnuts, whole peanuts, almonds) "

Was looking at the UCSD website for post op diet stuff just for sh*ts and giggles and saw a list of foods to avoid after lapband. These foods were my most favorite "healthy" foods :(( . Has anyone had a problem with these foods and what is the reasoning behind avoiding them?

"Foods To Avoid

After you have transitioned to solid foods, you should try to avoid certain foods. Such foods include, but are not limited to:

Dried fruits

Asparagus

Pineapple

Rhubarb

Grapes

Did it say why you should avoid some of these. I think the dried fruit might have more to due with the sugar content and the nuts might also be due to the calorie count but I am not sure. I due know that corn is currently the devil but I haven't had popcorn since my 3rd fill. Before then it was fine. Now I haven't bothered trying . I think asparagus, pineapple and rhubarb might be because they are fibrous and some people have problems with very fibrous foods?

The problem is that everyone is different and you really have to do trial and error of what works for you. Eg some people can eat pizza, where as some (like me) can only eat the toppings.

Dried fruits - I have not had a problem, maybe because they are a little chewy they are not recommended.

Asparagus - I have not had a problem, but could see that if it wasn't tender where there might be a problem. I just spit out any that are stringy/woody.

Pineapple - Have not tried this.

Rhubarb - Have not tried this and won't unless it is mixed with something strawberry.

Corn (especially popcorn) - I have not had a problem with it and could live on corn if it was allowed. The skin on the kernal could be the issue here.

Grapes - I have not had a problem, once again, the skin could be an issue and I would definitely get seedless ones.

Nuts and seeds (walnuts, whole peanuts, almonds) - I have not had a problem and cannot think of a good reason why there would be a problem.

I would probably ask my doctor at the next appointment about these foods.

Some of my favorite foods are listed too, and I don't avoid them - just chew them really well. (With the asparagus I just eat the tips; the body is too stringy for me). I will sometimes not eat the skin of grapes – peeling them is fun…. A bit decadent – but if you get the really big red ones – its kinda cool…

If you ever have a problem with dried fruits go to trader Joes and try the freeze dried - the mango's are out of this world, yummy and naturally low calorie - (no additives) and crispy like a chip - the banana chips I like freeze dried much more than just dried.

And I'll be honest - I don't worry about calories unless its about making sure I get enough - with a tight band I really focus on eating healthy foods, some can be higher in calories but since they aren't processed (organic) they actually go through your system faster and you get more nutrients and less fat absorbed. The question that's being asked right now is why there are so many fat people when we eat so much low calorie fat free foods. (it takes a lot of processes and chemicals to get them that way and many believe its part of what is making us fat).

Lisa

I haven't had a problem with corn or nuts but make sure to chew them well. I know that nuts are high in calories, but a handful a day is actually really good for you. I usually sprinkle sliced almonds on my oatmeal in the mornings.

but here's the general rule...at least for me because after my 3rd fill, I've had problems with all vegetebales, especially broccoli and cauliflower (raw or steamed)...chew everything really really well. On several occasions I feel like I'm choking and have to drink sips of water to wash the food down.

Arianna

"Foods To Avoid

Dried fruits

Asparagus

Pineapple

Rhubarb

Grapes

I eat nuts every day. My nutritionist said they are great in the diet - in moderation, and haen't had a single problem. Actually, almonds fill me up very fast. I eat 6 and am full! They are very fatty, yes but the good kind of fat. I also eat grapes and corn and even pocorn with no problems. THe onlt thing I definitely avoid is bacon. For some reason, even the tiniest of bites has me over the sink.

I don't have trouble with anything on that list. I can't eat very much bread and I have trouble with dry protein like a plain piece of chicken or prawns with no sauce. If they are in a pasta dish with sauce then I am fine as long as I have very small bites.