Falling off the band wagon

I'm having such a hard time sticking to the rules right now.....I just want to EAT all the time! I'm not really hungry ever, and I can't figure out what it going on emotionally, but this is bloody hard some days. I'm SO afraid this is going to be like every other time I have lost a bunch of weight and then just gave up and went back to my old ways. I'm only losing about half a pound per week which is not very motivating. I'm totally sabotaging myself. Any tips to get my head in the right space again? I don't think this is about needing a fill (although I could use a bit) it's more about staying motivated after all these months.

Sabrina:)

When this happened to me I kicked myself in the butt and did the 5 day pouch test. It helped me get rid of the snacking/carb cravings that I had.

Shy

Shy, What's the five day pouch test? Is this a newbie question? lol

Yeah, I'm new. My surgery is scheduled for Thur, June 25. Only four more Wednesday morning wake-ups!! (not that I'm counting or anything! lol)

Thanks (in advance) for the info...

Sabrina,

I am going through the same thing right now. Today I started the 5 day pouch test and I hope by the end of the week I will be on track again, If not I am going to wait a few days and do the test again. Just to show myself that I can do this and hey its been 12-14 days of strict diet and I didnt die, Im ok and yes I can still have that....whatever....if I wanted it but I dont right at this moment. I ahve been grazing for about a good week or so now and I need to stop so I hope this helps me. I will post once I am done in 5 days to let you know how it goes.

Keep your chin up,

Jenelle

Shy, What's the five day pouch test? Is this a newbie question? lol

Yeah, I'm new. My surgery is scheduled for Thur, June 25. Only four more Wednesday morning wake-ups!! (not that I'm counting or anything! lol)

Thanks (in advance) for the info...

Here is a good website that explains it. I like to use it to get myself back on track and off the carbs...

http://www.5daypouchtest.com/

Shy

I'm having such a hard time sticking to the rules right now.....I just want to EAT all the time! I'm not really hungry ever, and I can't figure out what it going on emotionally, but this is bloody hard some days. I'm SO afraid this is going to be like every other time I have lost a bunch of weight and then just gave up and went back to my old ways. I'm only losing about half a pound per week which is not very motivating. I'm totally sabotaging myself. Any tips to get my head in the right space again? I don't think this is about needing a fill (although I could use a bit) it's more about staying motivated after all these months.

(((((((((((((((((Sabrina))))))))))))))))

OMG I didn't catch that you were in Onderland. Where have I been? I'm so excited for you.

I am new to this whole thing, but I have an idea or two to share (I used to be a weight loss consultant...so I'll put that hat on).

Okay, that hat is on.

What do you enjoy doing? Is there a hobby you love or something you've always wanted to try doing? To be honest, I think you're bored. Not just with hobbies, but maybe with food too. Is there a food that you really crave, or a food that would satisfy you if you allowed yourself to have it?

If you aren't getting satisfaction from food, then amp up the volume. Use flavored extracts and reinvent some of your favorite recipes and try new things.

If you are satisfied from eating, but then find yourself wanting more, you may need a small distraction right now. Maybe joining or forming a walking group...5 or 6 women who meet once a week and do an easy walk just to get out and meet new people.

I imagine that since you're in radio (I hope it's okay I posted that) the station is receiving food and treats for you all of the time. Think of what you want a vendor to bring you...if it's food so be it, and tell them exactly how you want it. For the plug, they'd do it in a heart beat.

Another thought (going back to hobbies) is there something you loved to do a a child and you have stopped doing it. Like for instance playing with Barbies. (I promise I'm not crazy). If you sit down with your girls and play Barbies with them, not only will you be mom of the year, you can have your Barbie eat whatever she wants whenever she wants it.

I know this sounds silly, but if you allow the Barbie to eat and be social, you might feel more satisfied.

The other kids project that brings adults peace is coloring. I swear. Pick up crayons in a restaurant and you won't want to eat a thing when your meal comes. It's because it's given your brain a distraction. Maybe something as simple as a chalk board in your kitchen you can draw pictures on if you feel like getting food before you grab something.

And most importantly, don't forget to reward yourself for how far you've come. That is critical. Give yourself praise and credit each time you look in the mirror. Don't be afraid to say, "Wow..I'm really lovely." "Gosh, my hair looks amazing!" "I can't believe these jeans look so awesome on me."

What you tell yourself in your head, no one can hear so even in a public restroom...when you look in the mirror, praise praise praise.

xo

You know where to find me if you want to talk. I strongly recommend physically speaking on the phone to at least 3 bandsters a day.

:)

For 2 or 3 weeks I too have really struggling. What am I saying! I have fallen off of the band wagon! Each morning I tell myself that today is a new day. If I have a protein bar, I later have another one. My servings are too big and I know it. Sunday I had 3 pieces of banana bread. On and on and on. I have done so well up to this point and like Valley Girl. I have thought just later am I going to fail at this too? Before I had my surgery, my sister said that she didn't know why I was having this done because nothing else has ever worked for me. I have lost my determination to conquer this. I have gained 5lbs in the last 2 weeks. YIKES!

Sabrina,

You are doing AMAZING with your weight loss. You are 195 lbs!!!!! That is SO GREAT!... Yooo Hoooo Sabrina, you are 195 lbs !!!! LOL :P YOU GO GIRL!

You say you are loosing about half a pound a week, that is great. I will go for WEEKS and not loose nothing and then drop. As far as the hunger, just old habits, that is so understandable. To be 100 % honest, I have had to remove everything that I munch on out of my house and out of my office. There is nothing here for me to munch on..lol but I know that is hard to do with kids!

Just an idea, but maybe try this for a couple of days and see how it works for you. Everytime you are "hungry" drink a glass of water instead. Also something that works for me is going through photo album and look at pics before you were banding and pics then look at yourself today. This helps me so much!

Good Luck to ya!

Carrie

Hey Sabrina,

Remember we were supposed to start our 2 weeks of no sweets or junk? I tried and it's been a struggle for me as well, but I'm taking it one day at a time. I did ok for about 2 days and then a friend had a birthday party. YIKES. I did ok with not eating the chips and dips and then it was time for the cake. I knew that if I took one bite, it would turn into 5 bites, and a whole slice to possibly a second helping. but once again, I thought one bite wouldn't hurt and I would stop at that. yeah right! I ended up eating an entire slice and later went back just to lick more frosting. I'm telling you for me it's an addiction. It would've been better not to have touched the cake at all. for me it's all or nothing. I'm not to the point of a few bites or 7 chips. So what you might need to do is get rid of all the bad food in the house. It's very easy to revert to OLD HABITS and that's what they are. You are right about not being hungry... and even if you were, eating junk wouldn't satisfy that hunger anyway. It's just the act of grabbing certain foods and munching away. Dr. Oz explains it in his book.. basically our brain remembers how certain foods make us feel so when you see those same foods (cake, chips, pasta, whatever your comfort food may be), your brain sends signals for you to grab it. It's not about willpower. There are reasons for our behaviors. Plus eating things like sugar makes you want even more sugar and the cycle continues.

On a positive note, I have done better the past couple of days. I'm just trying not to think about it as much or obsessing and i've been ok. Whenever I think about it, I feel so bad and guilty that I end of eating more. Focus on the positive and it'll remind you of well you've done and how far you've come.

You have lost a ton of weight. that is a huge accomplishment. every pound, every 1/2 lb lost is to be celebrated. This is a commitment for life and just like everything else in life, there are going to be good days and bad days.

Arianna

It's very easy to revert to OLD HABITS and that's what they are. You are right about not being hungry... and even if you were, eating junk wouldn't satisfy that hunger anyway. It's just the act of grabbing certain foods and munching away. Dr. Oz explains it in his book.. basically our brain remembers how certain foods make us feel so when you see those same foods (cake, chips, pasta, whatever your comfort food may be), your brain sends signals for you to grab it. It's not about willpower. There are reasons for our behaviors.

(((((((((((((((((Adrianna))))))))))))))))

Amen. I agree with you, it's really not about "will power", it's about "skill power".

xo

Hey Sabrina, I know exactly how you feel! I get to a certain weight then I start to sabatoge myself, almost like I don't deserve to be thin.

I have yet to figure out what triggers this, but the band has helped, it reminds me constantly that i have ate to much.

Why don't you come do the Jog for a Jug with me June 20th in Pt. Roberts? It's an 11 km run/walk all for fun, then they come back to Kiniskis Reef Tavern (where I work) for a jug of beer and food. (not that we need either), I just started training today, It might be the incentive you need to get back on track,

If there is anyone else in the area that wants to join me let me know, we could have our own group, except no one knows that I was banded so we would have to keep that part quiet.

I sure hope you make it to the Point, It is beautiful here and I would love to meet you and any other bandsters out there.

Take care,

Hey Sabrina, I know exactly how you feel! I get to a certain weight then I start to sabatoge myself, almost like I don't deserve to be thin.

I have yet to figure out what triggers this, but the band has helped, it reminds me constantly that i have ate to much.

Why don't you come do the Jog for a Jug with me June 20th in Pt. Roberts? It's an 11 km run/walk all for fun, then they come back to Kiniskis Reef Tavern (where I work) for a jug of beer and food. (not that we need either), I just started training today, It might be the incentive you need to get back on track,

If there is anyone else in the area that wants to join me let me know, we could have our own group, except no one knows that I was banded so we would have to keep that part quiet.

I sure hope you make it to the Point, It is beautiful here and I would love to meet you and any other bandsters out there.

Take care,

Hi Linda! That sounds like a blast but I work every Sat/Sun and can't book any more weekends off since I already have days off booked in June, July and August. I'd love to come down during the week some time. Or you are always welcome to call me when you're coming here...my cell is 604-908-4615. Put it in your speed dial in case you find yourself on this side of the border. I live in Surrey and we're always around and doing fun stuff in the summer- Stanley Park, various outdoor pools, White Rock beach, walking at the zoo. Let's make a date!

(((((((((((((((((Sabrina))))))))))))))))

OMG I didn't catch that you were in Onderland. Where have I been? I'm so excited for you.

I am new to this whole thing, but I have an idea or two to share (I used to be a weight loss consultant...so I'll put that hat on).

Okay, that hat is on.

What do you enjoy doing? Is there a hobby you love or something you've always wanted to try doing? To be honest, I think you're bored. Not just with hobbies, but maybe with food too. Is there a food that you really crave, or a food that would satisfy you if you allowed yourself to have it?

If you aren't getting satisfaction from food, then amp up the volume. Use flavored extracts and reinvent some of your favorite recipes and try new things.

If you are satisfied from eating, but then find yourself wanting more, you may need a small distraction right now. Maybe joining or forming a walking group...5 or 6 women who meet once a week and do an easy walk just to get out and meet new people.

I imagine that since you're in radio (I hope it's okay I posted that) the station is receiving food and treats for you all of the time. Think of what you want a vendor to bring you...if it's food so be it, and tell them exactly how you want it. For the plug, they'd do it in a heart beat.

Another thought (going back to hobbies) is there something you loved to do a a child and you have stopped doing it. Like for instance playing with Barbies. (I promise I'm not crazy). If you sit down with your girls and play Barbies with them, not only will you be mom of the year, you can have your Barbie eat whatever she wants whenever she wants it.

I know this sounds silly, but if you allow the Barbie to eat and be social, you might feel more satisfied.

The other kids project that brings adults peace is coloring. I swear. Pick up crayons in a restaurant and you won't want to eat a thing when your meal comes. It's because it's given your brain a distraction. Maybe something as simple as a chalk board in your kitchen you can draw pictures on if you feel like getting food before you grab something.

And most importantly, don't forget to reward yourself for how far you've come. That is critical. Give yourself praise and credit each time you look in the mirror. Don't be afraid to say, "Wow..I'm really lovely." "Gosh, my hair looks amazing!" "I can't believe these jeans look so awesome on me."

What you tell yourself in your head, no one can hear so even in a public restroom...when you look in the mirror, praise praise praise.

xo

You know where to find me if you want to talk. I strongly recommend physically speaking on the phone to at least 3 bandsters a day.

:)

YOU ARE SO RIGHT ROBBYN! I am SO SO SO bored. I feel ashamed admitting it cause I don't want to sound like a bad mom (I really do love them so much) but I had a pretty busy career/ life with lots of perks before becoming a (mostly) stay-at-home mom and these weekdays are killing me....day after day after day of them fighting with each other all day long and crying out for me every five minutes, I'm losing my mind. This is always my bad time of day, the time I head straight to the pantry!!!

My husband is out of the house 12 plus hours per day and also travels a lot so there's not a lot of "me" time. That said, I'm going to need to find some hobbies that we can all do together- like maybe go buy a bike and ride it with them. I took them fishing this week just so we could get out of the house and that didn't go over very well....my son was so upset that we were killing living creatures and my daughter had nightmares that fish were coming in her room attacking her!

We also tried bowling and my son and I loved it but my daughter complained that she was bored the whole time. I have been putting off exercise for six months but a new gym just opened with childcare so no more excuses! It's hard `cause if I go out every day, my housework never gets done, but if I stay home they drive me mental and I graze all afternoon! I could really use some adult conversation now and then so it's nice to have this forum- even if it's not face to face.

If anybody has other ideas of "hobbies" I can take up either with the kids or on my own, please chime in. All my life I've been asked what my hobbies are and it's very sad, but I don't really have any. I was never involved in anything as a kid, but I was (and still am) very social. I'm always the party-planner, organizer ,fundraiser, the one that "gets the ball rolling" if you know what I mean. I was voted student council rep every year in school but, outside of that, we didn't have the money for extra-ciricular activites like sports or music or dancing so I'm not very good at anything physical and I hate looking like an un-coordinated fool!

Kids are up, gotta go!

My advice is to get a babysitter and go window shopping. Just go to the mall and try on clothes. That always motivates me. Also plan out exactly what you are going to eat. I am two months post op and I am yo yo dieting, a couple of lbs so my weight is way slower. If I would stay focused it would help. I have done WW alot so I am back to counting points. That way I know what I am eating. I have a sweet tooth so I plan for a little treat everynight. Also if I feel like I could eat more during dinner I don't because I know my treat will be soon. Write everything down you eat. Think of something to get back on track.

Lori