Denial?

Hello all! I am new to this and trying to find my way around. All I know for sure at this point is I want this procedure. I have been thinking about it for nearly two years now and I cannot possibly wait any longer. I am ready for my life to begin, at 28 years old. I am tired of carrying this "extra person" around with me all the time. I don't want to count the steps I have to walk up to get to the second floor of work. I don't want to have to avoid people until I catch my breath. I am tired. I am tired of hiding, I am tired of lying to myself. I am just plain tired. I have blue cross blue sheild insurance, I have a BMI of 47 ( I weigh 296, arghh!) I just requested a packet of info from my local Lap band surgeon... but now that I am so ready for it, I am afraid I will not be approved. I don't really know why- I just don't want anything standing in my way. Did anyone else feel this way in the begining?

Most of the people on this forum got their surgery at the Obesity Control Center in Tijuana, Mexico. (Click on the white rectangle in the upper left hand corner or your page)(this forum is for anyone/everyone and we like to hear other peoples experiences) The Obesity Control Center (OCC) doesn't take insurance so most of us have paid out of pocket or have taken out a loan to get the surgery. Some people didn't want to wait for the insurance company to approve them, some didn't get approved and some have insurance that doesn't even pay for lap-band. I paid out of pocket because my insurance doesn't cover lap-band.

I felt the same way as you. I was hiding from the world. If anyone took a picture of me (other than a head shot) I would sneak and delete it from their camera because I was so ashamed of how I looked. I am only 29 and felt that I was going to waste the best years of my life if I didn't do something. I am happy with my decision and I loved my experience at OCC. Good luck!!

Most of the people on this forum got their surgery at the Obesity Control Center in Tijuana, Mexico. (Click on the white rectangle in the upper left hand corner or your page)(this forum is for anyone/everyone and we like to hear other peoples experiences) The Obesity Control Center (OCC) doesn't take insurance so most of us have paid out of pocket or have taken out a loan to get the surgery. Some people didn't want to wait for the insurance company to approve them, some didn't get approved and some have insurance that doesn't even pay for lap-band. I paid out of pocket because my insurance doesn't cover lap-band.

I felt the same way as you. I was hiding from the world. If anyone took a picture of me (other than a head shot) I would sneak and delete it from their camera because I was so ashamed of how I looked. I am only 29 and felt that I was going to waste the best years of my life if I didn't do something. I am happy with my decision and I loved my experience at OCC. Good luck!!

Is it majorly expensive to have this performed in Tijuana? I just wonder how much longer I might have to wait to do this. I appreciate your feedback- as at this point, I cannot be too informed. Thanks again!

I have Blue Cross PEEHIP (for educators). It will cover lapband once the 6 month criterias have been met. I was miserable at work, by my 7th period class each day I would have to sit down. Not good! My job is fairly stable, but I felt like a slacker having to rest. I didn't want to wait on Blue Cross. I made my decision and had the surgery a couple of months later. I paid for it myself at the OCC. I paid $8,000 back in Nov. My husband was so impressed with the facility he self-paid and had it done in April. His cost was only $7,000. That includes all surgery expenses, and three nights stay in a very nice Tijuana hotel. He couldn't get the time off work to go to all of the medical/weight loss appointments that Blue Cross require. He was able to get FMLA for 3 weeks for the surgery easily.

I wholeheartedly recommend the OCC. If you have any other questions that I can help you with, feel free to pm me.

Good luck on whatever you decide to do.

Kimberly

I say if you want it bad enough, then you should do it. I went through so many emotions when I first started thinking about getting the lapband. Of course everyone is different but for me I didn't want to feel I'm taking the easy way out, or that somehow I'm not strong enough or have enough willpower to try and lose weight naturally. But then I thought of how long I'd been this weight and it's been over 10 yrs, so if I was going to lose it on my own, then it should've happened by now. Then came the financial aspect.

Do I really want to pay that much and is it worth it? We pay so much for other things (including eating out or going grocery shopping etc.) but this is for YOU! Not only will you lose weight, but you'll improve your health, live life to its fullest, socialize again, feel good about yourself inside and out...the list goes on. Those things are priceless. You deserve to be happy, to be confident, not to live life in hiding but be open and free. You are worth it! So to answer your question, yes I went through the same thing you are going through but then made the decision to get it done.

I'm happy and I know it's still up to ME to make this work, which gives me ownership. It's not a magic band, but it's teaching me how to eat healthy.

Good luck with whatever you decide.

Arianna