First Fill March 7

Hi everyone,

I finally decided to go back to Mexico for my first fill. I have not lost for weeks. I didn't have to change my signature because it hasn't changed. I will be at the Lacerna on March 6,7,8 and leaving the 9th. I need some advice though. I thought if I stayed an extra day that I would know if everything is going to go down and if I needed an unfill. Now I am getting concerned because of a girl posting about having a backup in my area in case this happed. I don't have anyone here. That is why I am going back to Mexico. Should I be concerned?? Will I be able to know by staying an extra day?? Could someone experienced help me out with this?? Thanks.

Hi Debby,

My second fill was fine the first 2 weeks and then WHAM... I was super tight. I kept thinking that I wasn't eating slow enough or taking too large of a bite. I PB'd on a regular basis on things that went down easily the week before. I spent weeks trying to figure out the problem(resting my stoma, drinking liquids), trying different amounts and combinations of food. I finally made an appt. for a check-up/possible unfill when I started feeling some heartburn. I wanted to make sure my band was still in good position also. Well, the good news is my band was in good position still and that I made it back to get an unfill before I did any damage. There was alot of swelling so Dr. Martinez took out .4cc. Things were instantly better but I have relatively no restriction now. I've been waiting to see if I suddenly get more restriction but I'm sorry to say I will be going back to get a scosh put back in on the 5th. I'm thinking maybe half of what he took out,.2cc should do it. Hopefully that will be my sweet spot! You also won't know how good your restriction is after only 1 day because your only allowed liquids (full) for 2 days after the fill. Unless he gives you special permission to try solids? I hope this helps. Best Wishes,

Doris 08/04/04

Dr.'s Ortiz/Martinez

208/173/128

Thanks Doris, that does help. It just seems so confusing. I am concerned about putting in fill and taking fill out. If I have problems then I will be forced to get to someone in Ohio or surrounding states. That is the disadvantage to flying across the US to go to Mexico. Whatever fill I get, I am planning on living with if possible. I know it will all be fine.

Debby..when I went for my 2nd fill I was with a girlfirend who flew in from PA to have her fill also. Once Dr. Ortiz did our fills he had us go and immediately eat something to see if she was too tight before she got back on a plane to PA the next day because she has no one there where she lives also. I think you staying those extra days will befine, let Dr. Martinez and Ortiz no of your concerns, they will most likely have you eat solids too just to make sure. Usually he has a 3 day liquid post fill instruction.. but in your case I'm sure he will make an exception for one solid meal postfill to make sure you are not too tight before you head home...Good Luck :)

Jenna he does like you to be on liquids for 3 days but he did make a sacrafice to My friend so she would not get on an airplane and get home and see that she was too tight and have NO doctor in her area to help her get an unfill...once we ate after our fills we did go on liquids for 3 days like he reccomends..

Hello!

I will be at Lucerna too getting my first fill. I will arrive from Tampa on March 4th and leave on the 6th. I was concerned about not having a back up too. I don't want to end up back on a plane to TJ from Tampa for un unfill. Also don't want to get too little of a fill. It must be an art, to get it perfect for everyone!!!!

Would love to see anyone that might be there for a fill or surgery. We have requested room 203, the same room my sister and I had when we initially had the band placed. It just seems comfortable to have the same room. Am I weird?

Julie

Julie,

I can't believe you will be leaving the same day that I arrive. I was hoping to meet some other patients in TJ but I have not heard from anyone. You probably have an all day flight as well. In Dr. Ortiz's book he said that it is with experience that they can get the perfect fill much sooner than doctors in the US with less experience. I hope he is right. I will fly all day Sunday. get filled on Monday, stay Tuesday and fly all day Wednesday home. I just happened to find a day spa for Tuesday :rolleyes:. (A girl has to have some fun!!!! lol!!) I initially tried to get in with Dr. Grossbard in Tampa for fills but they said he was not taking any patients other than his. The other one I read about is Dr. Jessee. I don't know if she takes any fill patients. My inlaws live in Florida and we go to that area about 3 times a year. It would be easier to fly into Orlando or Tampa that to go San Diego. But it didn't work out and the more I thought about it, I wanted to go back for my first fill. Let me know how your trip goes. Good luck!

Hi Debby!

The fill went great. Dr. Martinez is wonderful. I got 2ccs and I am very happy with it. Everything went well. I am back at work today and doing great. The band didn't want me to eat breakfast, felt like it was stuck. Think I'll stay on liquids one more day.I have heard it will typically be tight in the AM too.

I choose to go all the way back to MX because I trust Dr. Ortiz and Dr. Martinez. When I got home I had a question and Dr. Martinez answered his cell for me. What Doc in the US will give you a cell number to reach them? They also have been doing this alot longer and I think they are more aggressive with their fills. I was very pleased with the whole experience.

I would like to say that we successfully used public transportation to the hotel from the airport. I went with my sister. We really didn't like it too much. It only cost us $10.00 for both of us, but for $55.00 we would have been in a nice vehicle, not stopping all the time, and not transferring . It was pouring rain and we were like drowned rats before we got to the hotel. We transferred 4 times. Bus, trolly, another bus, and finally, a taxi on the other side of the border.

It was fun to meet other bandsters in the office that day. Everyone was happy, it was like a big party.

Hope all went well with your fill.

Julie

Hello Ladies,

I am interested in getting the lap band surgery. I've reading your posts and seems that you all are a wealth of information. If possible could you tell me the general cost of the surgery in Mexico and how you came about the Dr's you are using. I live in the UK but i would be willing to travel for an experienced Dr. (not to mention reasonable cost). Also, how often do you have to get fills?

Thanks a bunch