When is it to tight of a fill?

I was filled last friday, and I am really tight, I have not been throwing up,

but it hurts a bit to drink liquids. I am not very hungry which I love, but I

am thirsty. I have read that you are usually tight the first week after a good fill,

should I wait or get a small unfill?

am thirsty. I have read that you are usually tight the first week after a good fill,

When liquids are a problem, that is definitely when you need to get an unfill, even if it is just a small one. Dehydration isn't anything to mess with. I'm off to an unfill this afternoon for the same reason. I've been fighting it because I am loosing weight quite fast, but it shouldn't hurt to drink (or eat for that matter). I'm going to see if just a small unfill helps.

Good luck

Louise

Great question... when in doubt always call the Dr.

I understand being pretty tight in the am, but not to the point where it hurts. You should not have any pain especially with liquids. I would ask about just a slight unfill. You don't want to do any permanent damage.

I had a similar thing the past 2-3 weeks. I am soooo happy that I went in yesterday for a partial unfill. Even though I wasn't PB'ing alot, i honestly wasn't eating well either (soups, cottage cheese, mushies). It has been so great to be able to eath solid protiens again and drink water and protien drinks without pain or the 45mintues for 1 cup of liquids...

I finally went in because I was getting Acid Reflux.. Not good..

Shy

I think you are due for a slight unfill. This happened to me back in December and they took out a very small amount, like .1cc and it was amazing the difference it made in how I felt and I still lost weight.

I am going to call tomorrow as I think I need a slight unfill again. My band isn't necessarily too tight for normal eating, but I am taking a bunch of meds. at the moment and I think I have irritated it because pretty much everything hurts so I am going to have a slight unfill for peace of mind until I am done with all of these meds.

I had a slight unfill this afternoon, just .15 ccs and it has made a huge difference! I still have good restriction but I can eat solids (I'm doing a happy dance), plus I can drink without pain and a lot faster! Being that tight isn't worth it.

Louise

You had an aggressive fill, which for a newbie can be a bit out of your normal 'zone', I think many of us have been down this road. The last aggressive fill I had it took me two weeks to work through and learning to STOP forcing myself to eat (panic mode) in my brain. Listen to yourself first and foremost; if it freaks you out to be this tight, BUT you are not choking on your spit and still able to get solids down later in the day, then only you can decide what to do.

Here is some advice from two wonderful Fill Nurses that I love to share (and is worth repeating): =)

EMERGENT/URGENT BAND PROBLEMS

What is the difference between Emergent, Urgent and Normal band problems?

EMERGENT: Harsh vomiting (different than pb’ing), unable to swallow saliva or any fluid. You need to go to the Emergency Room and have them give you an IV to hydrate you. You need to tell them you have a lap band and need to have a fluoroscopy to see if it has slipped or you are closed off due to swelling. You need to take your surgeons phone number with you so they can call and talk to him.

Dehydration: symptoms include dizziness, low blood pressure, disorientation, not able to make decisions appropriately. If someone else thinks you are in need help, you probably are because you are too ill to make that decision. It takes more than 24 hours to become dehydrated.

URGENT: When you have frequent throwing up 3-4 or more times per week, you need to be seen by your fill clinic to get a bit of saline removed. If you have heartburn or reflux, you need to be on over the counter Prilosec twice a day, possibly remove a bit of saline from your band. If you let it go on, you risk slippage of the band. After you have a bit taken out, stay on liquids for 1 week, mushy for 1 week, introduce solids slowly.

If your band slams shut after you have had a fill, you should return to your clinic for a bit of unfill. Don’t let it go on too long, you risk slipping your band and dehydration. This prevents and ER visit.

Normal Problems: You can’t eat solids in the morning. Try drinking something hot. This may open your band up and allow you to eat. If you can’t eat in the mornings, try going on liquids for 3 days, then start eating breakfast, larger lunch, smaller dinner. Sometimes this will reset your eating habits. If you just can’t eat in the morning, but can eat later in the day, go ahead and drink a protein drink in the morning to get your protein in. We normally say no liquid proteins, but once in awhile is ok. The whole process behind the band is to eat our protein in solid form, not liquids.

Pb’ing, yakking, tossing your cookies: Are you eating too fast? Not chewing enough? Taking too big a bite? Swallowing hot things too soon? Maybe you need to coat your meat with BBQ sauce or something to help it go down. Try eating with a baby spoon to make sure you are taking smaller bites.

IF you have the flu: You should be fine, but if you are throwing up too much, some fluid out of you band would help. You can drink flat 7-up, gatoraid, apple juice, whatever, forget the calories, just stay hydrated.

WHEN TO CALL YOUR DOCTOR:

Get an unfill if you can’t swallow your spit.

Get an unfill if you can’t eat regular food.

Gen an unfill if you are having heartburn or reflux.

Call your doctor emergently if you are throwing up blood. You might have a tear or rupture in your esophagus. Be sure to tell them you have a band. They may think you have an abdominal problem. Not all problems are related to the band. Just make sure they have the information anyway.

Go to the ER if you haven’t been able to drink any liquids for 24 hours.

Call your surgeon with any concerns.

DO NOT LIVE WITH THROWING UP FOR MORE THAN A FEW DAYS. THE WEIGHT YOU ARE LOSING IS WATER, NOT FAT!

This is not the way to lose weight. You are depleting yourself of needed vitamins and nutrients your body needs to survive.

You had an aggressive fill, which for a newbie can be a bit out of your normal 'zone', I think many of us have been down this road. The last aggressive fill I had it took me two weeks to work through and learning to STOP forcing myself to eat (panic mode) in my brain. Listen to yourself first and foremost; if it freaks you out to be this tight, BUT you are not choking on your spit and still able to get solids down later in the day, then only you can decide what to do.

Here is some advice from two wonderful Fill Nurses that I love to share (and is worth repeating): =)

EMERGENT: Harsh vomiting (different than pb’ing), unable to swallow saliva or any fluid. You need to go to the Emergency Room and have them give you an IV to hydrate you. You need to tell them you have a lap band and need to have a fluoroscopy to see if it has slipped or you are closed off due to swelling. You need to take your surgeons phone number with you so they can call and talk to him.

Dehydration: symptoms include dizziness, low blood pressure, disorientation, not able to make decisions appropriately. If someone else thinks you are in need help, you probably are because you are too ill to make that decision. It takes more than 24 hours to become dehydrated.

URGENT: When you have frequent throwing up 3-4 or more times per week, you need to be seen by your fill clinic to get a bit of saline removed. If you have heartburn or reflux, you need to be on over the counter Prilosec twice a day, possibly remove a bit of saline from your band. If you let it go on, you risk slippage of the band. After you have a bit taken out, stay on liquids for 1 week, mushy for 1 week, introduce solids slowly.

If your band slams shut after you have had a fill, you should return to your clinic for a bit of unfill. Don’t let it go on too long, you risk slipping your band and dehydration. This prevents and ER visit.

Normal Problems: You can’t eat solids in the morning. Try drinking something hot. This may open your band up and allow you to eat. If you can’t eat in the mornings, try going on liquids for 3 days, then start eating breakfast, larger lunch, smaller dinner. Sometimes this will reset your eating habits. If you just can’t eat in the morning, but can eat later in the day, go ahead and drink a protein drink in the morning to get your protein in. We normally say no liquid proteins, but once in awhile is ok. The whole process behind the band is to eat our protein in solid form, not liquids.

Pb’ing, yakking, tossing your cookies: Are you eating too fast? Not chewing enough? Taking too big a bite? Swallowing hot things too soon? Maybe you need to coat your meat with BBQ sauce or something to help it go down. Try eating with a baby spoon to make sure you are taking smaller bites.

IF you have the flu: You should be fine, but if you are throwing up too much, some fluid out of you band would help. You can drink flat 7-up, gatoraid, apple juice, whatever, forget the calories, just stay hydrated.

Call your doctor emergently if you are throwing up blood. You might have a tear or rupture in your esophagus. Be sure to tell them you have a band. They may think you have an abdominal problem. Not all problems are related to the band. Just make sure they have the information anyway.

DO NOT LIVE WITH THROWING UP FOR MORE THAN A FEW DAYS. THE WEIGHT YOU ARE LOSING IS WATER, NOT FAT!

This is not the way to lose weight. You are depleting yourself of needed vitamins and nutrients your body needs to survive.

When liquids are a problem, that is definitely when you need to get an unfill, even if it is just a small one. Dehydration isn't anything to mess with. I'm off to an unfill this afternoon for the same reason. I've been fighting it because I am loosing weight quite fast, but it shouldn't hurt to drink (or eat for that matter). I'm going to see if just a small unfill helps.

Good luck

Louise

Thanks for the advice, I did go in for an unfill, by that time i was

pretty dehydrated.

I had a similar thing the past 2-3 weeks. I am soooo happy that I went in yesterday for a partial unfill. Even though I wasn't PB'ing alot, i honestly wasn't eating well either (soups, cottage cheese, mushies). It has been so great to be able to eath solid protiens again and drink water and protien drinks without pain or the 45mintues for 1 cup of liquids...

I finally went in because I was getting Acid Reflux.. Not good..

Shy

I was the same way, even swallowing hurt, I was so thirsty,

that after the unfill, I was so happy to drink water!!!!

Great info thanks I will save this for future reference .