Mom of a Bandster

Jenn

Hello Parents,

I am a mom of a Teen Banster. If you have any questions in regards to your teen getting banded please don't hesistate to drop me a note and ask as many questions as you would like. My Lil Banster is Cassie. She was the 2nd youngest bandster that Dr. Ortiz and Dr. Martinez banded. She is doing great !

Jenn

Colorado

Hello Parents,

I am a mom of a Teen Banster. If you have any questions in regards to your teen getting banded please don't hesistate to drop me a note and ask as many questions as you would like. My Lil Banster is Cassie. She was the 2nd youngest bandster that Dr. Ortiz and Dr. Martinez banded. She is doing great !

Jenn

Colorado

[/quot

Can you tell me how your child handled the whole thing. I have thought about this for my child. I just not sure about it and not to say how worried I am about her taking it all in. To me it all is very sceary.

Thank for you help

Suz <_<

Hello Parents,

Jenn

Colorado

Hi Jenn!

Thank you for ALL the valuable information you shared about your daughter! It was truley helpful!!! I appreciated you taking the time to talk and answer all our questions. Your Cassie is beautiful and so very energetic and positive to talk to. Just by the phone conversation her confidence level is 100%. She is very sweet and thankful to you for allowing her to have the lapband. Thanks for being a pioneer, so to speak for the rest of the teens and parents. Teri :)

Hi Suz,

I am sorry for taking so long to reply back, I was away on vacation.

Straight up here. Kids are not completely responsible. We hear all the time, Yes mom I want that dog and I can take care of it. It never happens. You will still do the mother bird watching over her chick. Reminding her to eat, chew, take your vitamins. This is the typical normal stuff. Cassie did great. The only thing is making sure they follow the rules. It takes a bit, not much, but they will get into the routine very easily. You just have to remind them in the beginning.

Also remember, this is reversible. That is the best thing about this surgery. Cassie is doing great, she had the flu once and had problems. Dr. Ortiz told her the next time she got the flu to get the band drained. The throwing up can make it turn. That was the only problem that she had and one time a doctor here in Colorado put too much fluid in her band and it was too tight. So we had Dr. Ortiz redo the fill. Cassie leads a normal life. She eats what ever she wants. She is so happy. I see other children, I wish all the kids that are over weight can get this surgery. I wish too that adults would stop getting the Gastric Bypass and try this first. Recovery is nothing. Cassie was up that afternoon walking and the next day released and out shopping for a bit. The first week or two your child will be tired from lack of food and adjusting to eating. I have to just highly say to take your vitamins. If you have any more questions don't hesitate to ask. Happy Holidays Jenn

Hello Parents,

Jenn

Colorado

Hi My name is Trisha and my daughter wants to have a alpband for weight loss. She has struggled with her weight and I am considering this for her and her future. Can you tell me what you think and about how long the whole process takes? Thanks-Trisha

Hi My name is Trisha and my daughter wants to have a alpband for weight loss. She has struggled with her weight and I am considering this for her and her future. Can you tell me what you think and about how long the whole process takes? Thanks-Trisha

Hi Trisha,

As with every weight loss it seems you loose a lot in the beginning and then gradually it slows down. Your body reaches plateaus and then there will be drop again. It sheds off in the beginning and then will slow. My daughters big loss was in the first 7 months. Then with her band adjusted so perfect by Dr. Ortiz she gradually lost an extra 10 - 15 more pounds and she stays at a normal weight now. She fluctuates between 140 to 148. When she got home from the hospital I remember her already loosing 10 pounds. Take pictures every month and compare them. You will see your child's weight loss. I look at a Summer picture then a Fall picture and I could see such a difference in Cassie's face. If you have any other questions, please don't hesitate to ask. Happy Holidays ! Jenn

Hi Trisha,

As with every weight loss it seems you loose a lot in the beginning and then gradually it slows down. Your body reaches plateaus and then there will be drop again. It sheds off in the beginning and then will slow. My daughters big loss was in the first 7 months. Then with her band adjusted so perfect by Dr. Ortiz she gradually lost an extra 10 - 15 more pounds and she stays at a normal weight now. She fluctuates between 140 to 148. When she got home from the hospital I remember her already loosing 10 pounds. Take pictures every month and compare them. You will see your child's weight loss. I look at a Summer picture then a Fall picture and I could see such a difference in Cassie's face. If you have any other questions, please don't hesitate to ask. Happy Holidays ! Jenn

Dear Jenn,

I am afraid of any kind of surgery but she really wants this and I can't blame her. She's 230lbs and she looses quickly so I'm sure she will suceed. We have our initial meeting on Dec 12th with the nutritionist and then some other Dr. It seems like there is a process we need to go through first. Q=Where are you located and how did you like your Dr's ? Did your insurance cover the cost? Thank you- Worried mother-Trisha

I really wish this tool had been available when I was a teenager (20 years ago). I am sure my parents would have supported me having it done back then.

While I believe every experience in life makes us who we are, and growing up obese has helped develop much of my character, having been of "normal" weight could have been much more positive for my health and life. But, no regrets. I am the product of the sum of my life experience.

Dear Jenn,

I am afraid of any kind of surgery but she really wants this and I can't blame her. She's 230lbs and she looses quickly so I'm sure she will suceed. We have our initial meeting on Dec 12th with the nutritionist and then some other Dr. It seems like there is a process we need to go through first. Q=Where are you located and how did you like your Dr's ? Did your insurance cover the cost? Thank you- Worried mother-Trisha

Hi Trisha,

In answering your question, we are in Colorado. With the FDA and Insurance companies having policies to follow, the one big issue that came up was she is a minor. When Cassie had her's done, the most popular surgery was By-Pass. The band was just getting known. Insurance and other doctors would not touch her in the states. Every time they heard that she was a minor they said no. That was 2 1/2 years ago and I am finding out now that doctors are becoming more familiar with the Lap Band and how beneficial it can be. Specifically reverse and stop any permanent damage that can occur from weight gain. The insurance did infact cover the cost of the fills. We found a nurse/ radiologist that was trained here by Dr. Ortiz. But we have relatives in San Diego and that gave us every excuse to just go back to fabulous Dr. Martinez. My one suggestion is that when you go to do a fill in the states, please make sure they are qualified and they use a x-ray machine to watch the process and recheck the fill. Dr. Martinez using an x-ray machine that shows you every detail that is occurring. To calm your fears Trisha, it is reversible. Remember that. Take lots of before pictures. Happy Holidays Jenn

Dear Jenn,

Also Trisha, we went to the nutritionist and it will be great to hear other things to eat and how to help you in your child's weight loss. Jenn :rolleyes:

I really wish this tool had been available when I was a teenager (20 years ago). I am sure my parents would have supported me having it done back then.

While I believe every experience in life makes us who we are, and growing up obese has helped develop much of my character, having been of "normal" weight could have been much more positive for my health and life. But, no regrets. I am the product of the sum of my life experience.

Fabulous response !!! Being on both sides of life, my daughter respects those who have a hard time with their weight. She also helps others to understand what children go thru when others don't understand being heavy. THe worst is when a skinny person tells you to diet and they have never dieted themselves. Jenn

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Hi, my name is Allison. Im not actually a parent. But I thought that maybe you could anwer my question. I have been over weight for 15 years. I am 20. I weigh 230... I had just about given up but I run across the lap band surgery and I want to know how painful it is. I appriciate your answer. Allison

Hi, my name is Allison. Im not actually a parent. But I thought that maybe you could anwer my question. I have been over weight for 15 years. I am 20. I weigh 230... I had just about given up but I run across the lap band surgery and I want to know how painful it is. I appriciate your answer. Allison

Hello Allison. There is not much pain at all after the procedure if everything went normally (which is usually does). My wisdom teeth removal was more painful. Check out the "Newly Banded" and the "Support & General Discussions" sections of this forum for lots of stories and personal accounts.

• 2 weeks later...
Hello Parents,

Jenn

Colorado

Jenn,

Could you please email me. thanks

Denice ( attinsley@aol.com )