One Week Post-Op- following post-op diet

HollyCali

Dear Comrades:

I feel worse today than I did the day after my surgery a week ago. I am starving- bloated and gassy. I am not the gassy type and it is miserable. How can I have so much gas with all clear liquids and only drinkable yogurt. I'm more sore today and the port site looks swollen and new bruises. I feel like shit. Low energy and in pain. Please offer suggestions to help me. I rested for a few days with moderate activity and was feeling ok. Started back to work today and it was very difficult. What should I do?

I read on the forum that the gas can stay permanently- please tell me this is not so!!!

I hope I am not becoming a problem child- I usually recover quickly and have no need for medications. I'm following the diet as instructed. Should I just try and eat full liquid? I had trouble sleeping and the anxiety is creeping in. Do you think Dr. Ortiz could prescribe something for me?

Thanks for listening...

HollyCali

Dear Comrades:

I feel worse today than I did the day after my surgery a week ago. I am starving- bloated and gassy. I am not the gassy type and it is miserable. How can I have so much gas with all clear liquids and only drinkable yogurt. I'm more sore today and the port site looks swollen and new bruises. I feel like shit. Low energy and in pain. Please offer suggestions to help me. I rested for a few days with moderate activity and was feeling ok. Started back to work today and it was very difficult. What should I do?

I read on the forum that the gas can stay permanently- please tell me this is not so!!!

I hope I am not becoming a problem child- I usually recover quickly and have no need for medications. I'm following the diet as instructed. Should I just try and eat full liquid? I had trouble sleeping and the anxiety is creeping in. Do you think Dr. Ortiz could prescribe something for me?

Thanks for listening...

HollyCali

Oh my goodness!!! I had surgery a little over a week ago and I'M GOING THROUGH THE EXACT SAME THING!!!!!!! My port is still so sore and swollen. Painful!! I also can't even begin to describe the gassiness. I think I should call the Guiness Book of World Records because I have to breaking some sort of record. :) It's driving me crazy... I tried Gas-X Thin Strips and they did nothing. Then I tried tthose quick dissolve in your mouth gas tabs and they are helping a little. As for the port pain, tenderness, and swelling... anyone?

Thanks!!

Karen

I'm flippin starving. Dr Ortiz told me that many people do not even require a fill b/c the band itself provides enough of restriction. This is my 10th full fay of only liquids and the gas remains...the deep hunger remains... tummy swollen as all get out.

2 other women that had the surgery the same day have been so hungry they are already on solid foods. One even said she ate real food and felt no restriction at all.

What the hell???

Oh my goodness!!! I had surgery a little over a week ago and I'M GOING THROUGH THE EXACT SAME THING!!!!!!! My port is still so sore and swollen. Painful!! I also can't even begin to describe the gassiness. I think I should call the Guiness Book of World Records because I have to breaking some sort of record. :) It's driving me crazy... I tried Gas-X Thin Strips and they did nothing. Then I tried tthose quick dissolve in your mouth gas tabs and they are helping a little. As for the port pain, tenderness, and swelling... anyone?

Thanks!!

Karen

Karen- I got some liquid kaopactate (sp) and it helped.... Bless your heart. Just know you and I are in the same exact boat!!! Please stay in touch. I also heard Dr. Ortiz is very conservative with his banding... maybe we need a fill sooner. I have no idea.

Anyone that can offer assistance please do... :)

((((((((((((((((Holly))))))))))))))))

Hugs to you. I can relate. I can relate even to the point where I asked myself "What the xxxx did I do to myself!" I have to admit that I did convert to solid foods two days early. It was because of naucea. I just couldn't shake it. Well I still can't but I think it's because I have the flu.

Hang in there. It will get better.

It's been a while for me, but from what I remember I was starting to feel better and then those first two days back at work really sucked! You are pushing your body harder and it is gonna revolt.

As far as gas everyone is different, but mine didn't subside significantly for quite a while. I went back to work looking pregnant and still had bruising, but my bruises seem to take forever to go away.

If you are really lethargic and hungry you are not drinking enough. You should not be counting calories and should be drinking if you are hungry. Gotta really be working on your protein as well.

My healing process seemed to be more difficult than most others, but I got through it and you will too! I am a wuss and if I could do it then you all definitely can!

Good luck!!

Holly - everyone reacts differently from the band surgery. Some takes forever to get rid of the surgery gas bubbles and some, like me, only had it a few days. The MAIN key is to WALK, WALK, WALK...not one long walks, but severeal, mini walks. It helps juggle those hidden gas bubbles you may have. But then walking is GREAT exercises during this time too and it's a great jump start for you when you can really start the exercising after the 3 months fitness stage.

Keep the focus. You need to have the right mindset and follow through with determination and self discipline. You have to work with the band, as it can't do it on its own. The band is not a miracle pill. So plan a daily routine for yourself that works for you. Set yourself some small, reachable, realistic goals for you to achieve within a short period of time. When you've reached your goals, rewrite your goals for more future successes. One day at a time...and don't rush into this. You've gained the weight for some time and you are not going to lose it overnight. Take this time to know you and live your day. Stressing out may only cause failure and discomfort and that is not what the band is all about.

Chin up...relax, enjoy this weight loss journey and watch the new you come forth! Jazzy!!

Hi

Is me Karin, I am a bandster celebrating a week today (Friday) myself.

I dont feel worse but since I measured myself I am 2 inches wider around the middle since my surgery and I feel very bloated all day. I dont mind this I think this is keeping me feeling full most of the time. However, since I dont like juice (it give me diareah) and I like savory things, I have been making alot of home made soup stocks and then taking some of the meat, like chicken broth, and pureying it to death until its a smooth paste, then spice it up abit and then I eat a very small amount of this and I am good for another couple hours or more. Once I ate abit too much and I felt alot of pain and gas but it went away.

So, too am sore around the port site especially and it hurts to bend over. I sit at a desk and infront of a computer and I find I slouch alot but then I sit up strait right away because it hurts to slouch. I think we need to keep in mind that we have had a lapband put inside and some things were moved around so this is normal. Also, I am not taking any pain killers and we were definately given alot after surgery because at that time I had almost no pain at all.

Anyway, take care and dont worry. Maybe try to walk around the block and listen to a favourite tune while you do so.

Karin

• 4 weeks later...
Dear Comrades:

Thanks for listening...

HollyCali

My surgery was on July 10th. I had done pretty good the last few days but today about killed me. I have had awful gas pains and my port site is very bruised and swollen. I haven't been able to get rid of the gas and I feel too full to even drink any protein. Any advise? Thanks!

I can remember the gas as well. I used the gas-x strips. they were cinnamon and helped with the nasty taste in my mouth as well. try warm fluids as well, and stay away from straws. let me think if some of the rules I give my c-section patients to help with gas, keep moving, but don't over due it. fine line between over doing and not doing enough. I thinkd a warm shower might help as well.

Best wishes, kind of like my c-section pts it is all worth it!

Thanks!!

Karen

I feel that same way so I am not in this alone. I feel better that other people are experienceing this as well.

I'm flippin starving. Dr Ortiz told me that many people do not even require a fill b/c the band itself provides enough of restriction. This is my 10th full fay of only liquids and the gas remains...the deep hunger remains... tummy swollen as all get out.

2 other women that had the surgery the same day have been so hungry they are already on solid foods. One even said she ate real food and felt no restriction at all.

What the hell???

I found this video by Dr. Ortiz very helpful in that it explains why it is so important to adhere to the liquid diet for 21 days and to not shake the foundation. Eating solids too early will cause issues down the road...check it out.