Cost of fills?

Okay, Im back with more questions! If I do have my surgery in Mexico, say that costs $7,000- then how much does it cost for each fill? Is there a package? And would it be cheaper after you consider airfare to have my fills done here in Upstate New York even if my surgery was done at the OCC? I know it is hard to find someone willing to work with OCC patients here in the states, but financially if I did find a fill doctor here- would it be worth it?

Okay, Im back with more questions! If I do have my surgery in Mexico, say that costs $7,000- then how much does it cost for each fill? Is there a package? And would it be cheaper after you consider airfare to have my fills done here in Upstate New York even if my surgery was done at the OCC? I know it is hard to find someone willing to work with OCC patients here in the states, but financially if I did find a fill doctor here- would it be worth it?

Alia - I didn't have a problem finding a Dr for aftercare. I live in a nice size city, so we have around 10 Dr.'s in the area who are Baratric Surgeons. Personally for me, living in the mid-west it was not convenient for me to fly back to TJ for my fills. Cost of airfair, floro, shopping, food, stay ect would way out way the cost of my aftercare local. Not to mention the time away from my family and work. IMHO unless you leave on the West Coast, it really isn't cost effective. My aftercare cost me $1050 up front. That covered the first 4 visits. Each visit after that will cost me $125. So, it won't take long and I will save money. Plus, I feel like it is important to have a Dr local who can manage my care. I'd hate to be to tight and have to wait to go to the OCC for an unfill or care. Now saying that, if I had a emergency, like a slip or erosion ect. I would high tail it back to the OCC for sure. I would hate to see the bill in the states for emergency surgery! YIKES!

If you have surgery at OCC the fills are free forever, There is a $100.00 charge for the fluoroscope.

You could look at it as a good excuse to get away. :rolleyes:

He he he - I love that excuse....

But the deal is i'm going back for the first fill then for my second I'm gonna do it here on Long Island, Which you could look in the Fills section - then under NY... :D I'm a one finger typer and it takes too long to retype......... :lol:

If you go back to the OCC--just know that they don't do blind fills. Only fills under flouroscopy so, it will always cost you $100. Unfills are $30. Flouroscopy is the way to go in my opinion as the doctor can visualize your band and how fast/slow the liquid moves through it. They can also make sure your pouch is okay and you'll probably need less fills in the first year because since they can see it, they don't have to guess. I'm about to have my 4th and I'm 10 months out so, I consider 4 fills is pretty good for a whole year. There are some people who've had more and some have less...it really all depends on you. Everyone is totally different as far as fills are concerned.

Look for a Dr. Ren at New York University. They used to do them for $100.00. On the east coast ehre, it is very hard to find someone to do fills on Mexican patients, but Dr. Ren does. There is also someone in Maryland that does them for $200 but only on wednesdays. Thats closer than Mexico.

I find there are more places that don't do fluoroscope then Do .. I plan on bouncing back & forth to OCC so I don't mind trying a No Fluoro for the second fill once I know what the first fill by OCC is suppose to be like , And if I don't like it I never have to go back there again.... I have to bring all my paper work & the x rays in order for the Long Island Clinic to do it- it's $350 for the consult - met with their dietician & the adjustment for the first time, Then it's $175 for the adjustment & meeting with the dietician there after, You always sit with the dietician at this place, I don't know if that it’s standard with all the other places and, then if Ya just want an appt. with the dietician it's 80 bucks..........

If I could get the flight for $230- 275 I have no problem going back to OCC.... It's my little get away, plus I plan on stopping off at cosmed for a little filler or some other adjustment while I hit OCC - It’s killing 2 birds with one stone :D

I have said this before but to say it again... everyone is so helpful here. Somehow I feel like this is a big lap band family and we should someday all have a family get together... lol. Will someone explain what Flouro is? My fiance and I have decided.... DRUM ROLL PLEASSSEEEE........ if I don't get an insurance approval in the next eight weeks... I am going to MEXICOOO!!!! I don't want my insurance company to drag me through the mud... and it feels as if they are. I am so ready to do this for myself and commit to a healthier SKINNIER life! YAY!

I have said this before but to say it again... everyone is so helpful here. Somehow I feel like this is a big lap band family and we should someday all have a family get together... lol. Will someone explain what Flouro is? My fiance and I have decided.... DRUM ROLL PLEASSSEEEE........ if I don't get an insurance approval in the next eight weeks... I am going to MEXICOOO!!!! I don't want my insurance company to drag me through the mud... and it feels as if they are. I am so ready to do this for myself and commit to a healthier SKINNIER life! YAY!

Congradulations with making a decision as far as a cut off date for how long you are willing to wait. One thing that I enjoyed the benefits of being a self pay out of country, is I did not have to jump threw all the "hoops" to get the surgery. The education, meetings with a counselor for evals ect. Sometimes it takes 6 months or more to actually have the surgery. I could not imagine having to wait that long. Although I see why people do, and how it is benefical.

Yay for you!

Angie

Well I just called Fill Center USA here in Virginia Beach, VA and they want $375 for the first visit, which includes the fill and consultation.

After that the fills are $165...I forgot to ask about fluroscope so I will call them tomorrow.

I would love to go back to OCC, they are awesome down there and my first fill didn't hurt a bit. But with airfare as expensive as it is would cost a lot more then $375 by the time I got the plane ticket and paid for the fill. No other doctor here in Virginia will touch me, they say they don't know what th doctor in Mexico has done and they don't want to be responsible. What a bunch of idiots!!!

Well I just called Fill Center USA here in Virginia Beach, VA and they want $375 for the first visit, which includes the fill and consultation.

After that the fills are $165...I forgot to ask about fluroscope so I will call them tomorrow.

I would love to go back to OCC, they are awesome down there and my first fill didn't hurt a bit. But with airfare as expensive as it is would cost a lot more then $375 by the time I got the plane ticket and paid for the fill. No other doctor here in Virginia will touch me, they say they don't know what th doctor in Mexico has done and they don't want to be responsible. What a bunch of idiots!!!

I hear you on how great it would be to head to the OCC for all of our fills. For us on the east coast, it seriously becomes a matter of time, in addtion to the airfare, etc. Also, in support of Fill Centers USA, I think they are fantastic specifically because they are servicing folks banded elsewhere. The provider in Tampa was very familiar with Dr Ortiz and his way of doing things.

The Dr. I went with here, told me she does an upper GI on any patient she has not banded. (to make sure the band is in the right place and in good condition.) She also took a picture of my band and at the same time. It did not come as a suprise to me when she said the band was in the right place and everything looked great! Yep, I knew it would be great as Dr. O and M did my surgery. ;) Since I am new to the program she runs, she has no idea what my level of education is on the band. Not to mention what instructions I have been given post band. Her office is pretty cool and I have not felt like a "2nd class bandster" because I was not banded in the US. I am blessed by that fact. So far, her instructions to me have varied a small bit from the OCC but nothing to drastic.