The end of overeating

Hi all,

I don't know about you, but I've been hearing a lot about a new book called "The end of Overeating" by the former head of the FDA, David Kessler, and I've been intrigued, although I haven't picked up the book yet.

Salon.com interviewed him and there is some interesting and useful content in the interview if anyone is interested:

http://www.salon.com/env/feature/2009/06/1...ting/index.html

His main thesis is that modern foods that are laden with fat, sugar and salt have conditioned us to crave these unhealthy foods. He offers some ideas on how to deal with those cravings as well.

Of course the band helps tremendously with these food cravings, but many of us continue to struggle with cravings and give in to eating "slider foods" like ice cream and chocolate. So this may still be useful to bandsters; it's certainly very interesting and useful to me - especially since I struggle a bit with a sweet tooth.

Susan

That’s an awesome article, I think there’s going to be great change in the food industry, it’s like anything when we truly understand how much harm something is doing to us, we are normally smart enough to try and avoid it.

I love the one that’s under it about shopping as well. In one of my classes we went to Whole Foods with a nutritionist and learned how to shop – It follow her teachings. Here’s how we shop for food based on what I learned:

When I walk into the grocery store I always walk to the outside and start where the fruits and veggies are first. I choose organic and focus on locally grown if possible. I then start my big circle of the outside isles, avoiding the center isles at all costs.

My next stop is normally meat; it’s usually in the back. I choose free range, grass feed and organic as much as possible. I then make my wait to dairy which is normally in the back, right down from meat. I don’t chose anything “low fat” which is generally highly processed, I chose organic and natural, (absolutely nothing processed). I drink whole mike and half and half and real butter, I avoid products with lots of salt or additives. I then make my way to grains, I only buy unbleached and organic. Here’s an example of the ingredients of bread I just bought:

Organic unbleached wheat flour, Water, Natural Levain (this is a natural form of yeast) grey salt.

I rarely go into the center aisles, if there is something I need that in the center aisles I don't buy anything with more than five ingredients and I have to be able to pronounce and know what’s on the ingredients package label.

I have a tremendous sweet craving too, however it’s been curved by eating good for you foods. Its still there and I believe its OK to splurge sometimes, just in small amounts. Which I did last night with Ghirardelli chocolate.

I like food much better now, its not my enemy, its my friend, its what makes me healthy and beautiful as long as I use it as its meant to be used.

The band is a very powerful tool that has given us the opportunity to change our lives. We have time now since we don’t spend so much of our lives craving and thinking about food in that addictive manner, that we can actually learn how to better manage our eating habits for life long changes to better our health.

Love it, very thought provoking, thank you for posting.

Lisa

I don’t chose anything “low fat” which is generally highly processed, I chose organic and natural, (absolutely nothing processed). I drink whole mike and half and half and real butter, I avoid products with lots of salt or additives.

This is almost identical to what the Medical Director of the place I had my surgery said at our group meeting last month. In fact, he recommends bacon and eggs for breakfast as he says protein is what it is all about. The lower in fat items such as milk are, the higher they are in carbohydrates and our bodies are not designed for large amounts of carbohydrates. People originally ate meat, fruits and vegetables as they burned more calories trying to get enough grain together to make something than what they would eventually get to consume, yet even then what they ate were whole grains and not processed. That is very different than today when we are able to get grain that has already been processed, thereby removing the burning of calories to process it and we can even get this processed grain pre-made into food items such as loaves of bread, doughnuts, tortillas, etc.

Boy do I miss my childhood of growing up on the farm where almost everything was organic and natural. We knew exactly where it came from - our garden and either our pasture or Grandpa's. Milk was one of the things we bought in town - Dad said there wasn't a cow alive that could have produced as much milk as what my brother and I drank and I do have some pretty strong fingernails to show for it. :)

Might have to get that book! It is so emotional and is not a matter of willpower he is absolutely right. Thanks for sharing that!

That’s an awesome article, I think there’s going to be great change in the food industry, it’s like anything when we truly understand how much harm something is doing to us, we are normally smart enough to try and avoid it.

I love the one that’s under it about shopping as well. In one of my classes we went to Whole Foods with a nutritionist and learned how to shop – It follow her teachings. Here’s how we shop for food based on what I learned:

When I walk into the grocery store I always walk to the outside and start where the fruits and veggies are first. I choose organic and focus on locally grown if possible. I then start my big circle of the outside isles, avoiding the center isles at all costs.

My next stop is normally meat; it’s usually in the back. I choose free range, grass feed and organic as much as possible. I then make my wait to dairy which is normally in the back, right down from meat. I don’t chose anything “low fat” which is generally highly processed, I chose organic and natural, (absolutely nothing processed). I drink whole mike and half and half and real butter, I avoid products with lots of salt or additives. I then make my way to grains, I only buy unbleached and organic. Here’s an example of the ingredients of bread I just bought:

Organic unbleached wheat flour, Water, Natural Levain (this is a natural form of yeast) grey salt.

I rarely go into the center aisles, if there is something I need that in the center aisles I don't buy anything with more than five ingredients and I have to be able to pronounce and know what’s on the ingredients package label.

I have a tremendous sweet craving too, however it’s been curved by eating good for you foods. Its still there and I believe its OK to splurge sometimes, just in small amounts. Which I did last night with Ghirardelli chocolate.

I like food much better now, its not my enemy, its my friend, its what makes me healthy and beautiful as long as I use it as its meant to be used.

The band is a very powerful tool that has given us the opportunity to change our lives. We have time now since we don’t spend so much of our lives craving and thinking about food in that addictive manner, that we can actually learn how to better manage our eating habits for life long changes to better our health.

Love it, very thought provoking, thank you for posting.

Lisa

Well said Lisa! I agree with all of that.

I have never used margarine and will not use the flavored creamers due to the high fructose corn syrups in them.

great stuff, thanks for sharing

Lisa - thanks for the tips! I admire your dedication to healthy habits.

I too avoid artificially created fat-free or sugar-free foods as well as most packaged goods. But I'm not nearly as rid of them as you are. But it's something I am working towards.