Advise needed on fills

Ok, I got "zip tied" on May 25th, had my first fill Thursday 25th of June.

Being as my port is not findable I had to have and pay extra for the flourscopy.

I kept telling the doc that I was not feeling any restriction when swallowing the barium stuff but guess he didn't believe me.

I ask him to fill a little more when he thought he was done, he wouldn't. He put in 1.5 cc.

Well I spent $500 of my very hard earned money an feel absolutely no restriction at all.

I feel very cheated, both out of money and use of the lap band.

Any suggestions on how to make the doc understand I know my own feel better then his guesses on how i am doing?

Thank you

Kathy

It is pretty normal to not feel restriction after your first fill. For many people it isn't until their second or sometimes third fill that they begin to feel restriction.

Don't be discouraged by not being able to feel restriction. Instead, continue to use this as a learning time. It is more important now then ever before to make sure that you are chewing your food correctly and eating the proper amount of food. This training will all be very beneficial once you do feel the ever anticipated restriction.

Don't think of it as a waste of $500, rather think of the $500 as the investment needed to construct the first floor on top of the foundation that was completed when the lap band was placed. You may end up with a two or three story house, but regardless of how many levels it has, in the end it will be beautiful and you will love it!

I had good restriction until I lost the first 33 pounds. I got my surgery done in Mexico an they put in 4cc down there the day after the surgery.

I want that feeling again, LOL. It made me stop & think when I ate & drank.

I lead a VERY busy life an I don't always have time to think. The restriction gave me that little "wait a minute" wake up.

I had good restriction until I lost the first 33 pounds. I got my surgery done in Mexico an they put in 4cc down there the day after the surgery.

I lead a VERY busy life an I don't always have time to think. The restriction gave me that little "wait a minute" wake up.

BELIEVE ME, SLOW AND EASY WORKS BEST.

IT WILL COME IN TIME, JUST HAVE PATIENTS. YOU'VE JUST STARTED THIS LIFE JOURNEY

shhhh the turtle wins in the end :)

well, $500 seems like quite a bit of money for a first fill. I do not blame you for feeling a bit unhappy.

When they band you, they band right over the fat that is surrounding your stomach. As the fat melts, your band loosens a bit, That's when you need a fill. The band is only a tool. You have to follow the usage directions to let it work. The opening of your stoma (the band into your lower stomach) starts out the size of a dime. As you get fills, it goes down to the size of a baby asprin, forming a small pouch on top. When you fill it with real protein and veggies, it stretches just a bit, sending off a receptor that goes to your brain, telling you that you are full. You can overeat your pouch, stretching it too much, making it into a "muffin top". This is not good. You should have most of the fluid taken out and have the band checked by flouro. Let it set for a month, then slowly start refilling it. You should have fluoro at least once a year or if you are close to your fill level to check for stretching.

I think you are right on course with your band.

I had the flouro, that's why it cost so darn much.

That's why I felt, oh never mind, I don't have the ability to explain how I feel about it.

Alls good, I never been sick, minimal pain after surgery an I am down 33 pounds in 6 weeks.

ZipTied,

I understand your frustration. I had my surgery in Mexico on April 27th. I returned to Mexico for my first fill on June 8th (3.8cc's total with fluoroscopy). Within a few weeks, I had no restriction. I had my surgery and first fill with a friend and she has experienced the same thing. We paid for the fill, plane tickets, hotel, etc.

I went to Fill Centers USA on July 7th for my second fill (4.8cc's total without fluoroscopy). I can feel liquids "hang" for a moment before they go through the pouch, so I hope I will finally have restriction.

Another thing... The band and tubing has some air in it after surgery. I have a 10cc band, so there was considerable room for air. After your first fill, the saline slowly pushes the air out of the band. By the time you have your second fill, the air should be gone.

I like Smiley's analogy... The band is the foundation. The fills are the floors. We can make it to the top :)