asthma

Hello all. I am going to have surgery soon, and wondered if non-serious, periodic asthma is a concern. Can anyone help me understand what the pre-op process is, and what if anything the Centre looks for in preparing for surgery? Many thanks

I dont have asthma, and I am not a professional in the medical industry but here is what I experenced and assumed.

When I got to the OCC, they gave me a lung capacity test. They did so they knew that I could handle breathing after surgery. This surgery makes your stomach swell and it puts pressure on lungs. Even passing this test there were many times that I had a hard time breathing. It felt like I had the wind taking out of me a few times. Do you know what I mean? I would go to take a breath and I would have so much pressure and pain that I would have to hold my breath and slowly release, in and out in and out, until the pain passed. I found that the pain would just come and go on its own and it didnt matter if i was sitting or standing walking or not it just came. It would only last a 30 seconds to a minute or so. I only had this pain for about a week or so after the surgery.

I suggest maybe contacting the OCC and finding out what they look for in the lung test. Maybe you can have the test done at your home town before you go for surgery and let the OCC know where you stand. Im sure you will be fine.

If I am worng or misleading in this post, please some one correct me.

Jenelle

Hello all. I am going to have surgery soon, and wondered if non-serious, periodic asthma is a concern. Can anyone help me understand what the pre-op process is, and what if anything the Centre looks for in preparing for surgery? Many thanks

I can totally understand your concern. Here are a couple of things that might make you feel a bit better.

1. people with asthma have surgery ALL of the time. If you are super concerned, you might want to call OCC and just discuss the precautions they take for people like you.

2. OCC does SO MANY surgeries and they are really good at the whole process. It is an impressive set up they have. It is like clockwork :lol:

3. Lastly, you are under anesthesia for a very short time. It is like less than 20 min. Not as much of a concern than if you were having a major surgery that would require you to be under for longer.

Hope that helps. You will do great! Good Luck :D

Hello canuck,

Well, I have asthma and had no issues... I took two puffs of my inhaler before they put me out. I have had many surgeries in the last 5 years and I have always been told to take the two puff before and at least for me no complications.

My lapband surgery was a quick one, 1 hour 15 minutes, but I have been under for 3-5 hours and still been fine.

Good luck, plus you can always check with your Doc on what he/she may advise you to do. :)

Thanks all for the helpful advice. I feel confident that it will not be a problem, but this allergy season has been tough in Canada, and I've had a few puffs over the past few days. Its helpful to know that others with asthma have gone through the surgery. I'm flying down on the 15th--and sooo excited!