FRUSTRATED

So today I told my cousin that I had been banded and did not get the response I was hoping for. I was hoping that she would say good for you or some words of encouragement, and I guess since she has always been tiny, she does not understand completely but why do I feel so defeated! I wish I would not have told her and yet I want to tell the world about my decision and the new life that I have. I guess I thought everyone around me would embrace my decision.

I'm sorry you had to experience that. I know it is hard. Not only will some people NOT embrace your decision, some will be downright mean.

That is why many of us are very careful about who we tell.

I have a sister that calls my lapband "a weird band-y thing." It is just her way of saying that she does not approve.

Do not let it get you down. Some people are just going to be like that.

Take care.

Dawn

I found that people had me as a friend "the fat friend" to make themselves feel better. After telling them that I got the band they put me down, and have been rude. These people were my best friends. They are threatened by me, and to tell you the truth I knid of like it. I am not friends with these people anymore. I only want true, supportive friends in my life. This has made me work harder at my weight loss, and has made me realize how and what I say to people effects them.

So all in all cheer up and move on, We will support you right here!

Jenelle

So today I told my cousin that I had been banded and did not get the response I was hoping for. I was hoping that she would say good for you or some words of encouragement, and I guess since she has always been tiny, she does not understand completely but why do I feel so defeated! I wish I would not have told her and yet I want to tell the world about my decision and the new life that I have. I guess I thought everyone around me would embrace my decision.

Bah Humbug on her :P

This is why we must do this for ourselves and not for our spouses, friends or family. It is our journey, not theirs. You hang in there and take pride in what you've done. You've done something very wonderful for yourself!

Unfortunately some people are just like that. Instead of wishing you well or being proud of you for taking control they judge you. Why? Who knows. I haven't had my surgery yet (it's on 8/7) but I have already made up my mind not to tell anyone but my 2 best friends, my sister and my husband. Only their opinion matters to me. I decided to do without additional opinions or comments that might hurt my feelings. Unfortunately, as you start to look great they crank up the heat with the comments. In L.A. we call them HATERS. ^_^

Don't worry about it what matters is that you feel good and are confident wit the desicion you made.

Some people look at this as "taking the easy way out" and can't support what they see as failure. They don't necessarily know how to react to admitting that your weight was something that you couldn't control on your own and you needed a "medical intervention".

While she wasn't as supportive as you may have liked, at least be glad that she wasn't mean about it either.... because as others have said, there are those who have no problems insulting someone who had WLS.