Sliming, Puking, PBing, Oh my

Hi all,

I am mentally preparing for my banding at the OCC on the 21st. Everyday I go into the forum and absorb as much as I can so that there won't be any surprises post surgery. Something that is frequently mentioned on this forum is sliming. I get puking, but I don't know what sliming or PBing is. Would someone be kind enough to explain these so I know what to expect?

Thanks guys! :lb12:

Red,

I haven't had much trouble with sliming, PBing, and puking, but here's what I've experienced:

Sliming: If I eat something that isn't going down very well (like bread), my nose starts running and I tend to salivate. If this happens, don't eat anymore and don't try to wash it down with a drink (it doesn't work).

PBing: This seems to be the next level after sliming and it has only happened to me once (I understand that it should not be a regular occurrence). After sliming for about five minutes, I began feeling like I had to puke. Suddenly, I spit-up some liquid - presumably the slime (luckily I was standing at the kitchen sink).

Puking: I haven't puked since I got my band. However, I understand it should be avoided at all costs because it can cause band slippage. If I get sick and think I'm going to puke, I will take some anti-nausea medication.

This is my experience, but other bandsters may be able to elaborate further.

Dan

I think that was pretty accurate!!!!

Funny.. I just had a fill on Monday and last night I challenged my band for the first time.. not intentionally. I wasn't paying attention. MISTAKE. I ate too much and I started to get pain and felt hot. My mouth kept filling up with this slimy, stringy saliva.. omg it was so gross. I started to feel like I was going to puke.. then I spit up tons of that slime. I dry heaved a few times. I thought a drink would help wash it down. BIG MISTAKE. I threw up the drink within minutes.. it was still cold. LOL

I just experienced this all for the first time.. was pretty scary. LESSON LEARNED. And now I know my food capacity. It was more than I thought.. but I will never eat that much again EVER. It was the worst feeling in the world. t took me about a half hour for the salivation to stop.

Didn't mean for this post to be so gross. Sorry!

Karen

I agree if you get stuck or PB or whatever do NOT drink anything it just makes it worse.

The way I explain PB'ing to folks is when you get food stuck and you start to get the spits like normally before if you were gonna throw up. Then, i'll go in the bathroom and bend over a bit and it all just comes up in one swoop like if someone gave you the heimlich (sp?) or kind of like when a cat throws up. Sorry, gross analogy but it is what it reminds me of. Not pleasant, but honestly you hurt so bad when you are stuck that PB'ing is really a relief and to me it isn't as bad as a regular vomit. Mine are very quick and dirty unless I get really stuck like I did the other night and PB 3 times - man, that sucked!

You are gonna PB now and again but try to do it as little as possible and definitely really stay away from throwing up. After a PB if its bad i'll do liquids or mushies for the next day to give it rest time. As far as vomiting, just think, that throw up has to make it's way back up through your tiny band hole - that does not feel good and it's not easy! I did it once and i've done everything in my power to make sure it doesn't happen again! It can really do a number on you.

I've never just slimed so i'm no help there. Either i'm stuck and it eventually goes down or I PB. No in between for me apparently!

Didn't mean for this post to be so gross. Sorry!

Karen, sometimes being able to visualize the grossness is EXACTLY what we need in order to take care that we NOT have to go through it ourselves!

I, for one, appreciate it!

Thank you for an accurate picture being painted.

I agree if you get stuck or PB or whatever do NOT drink anything it just makes it worse.

The way I explain PB'ing to folks is when you get food stuck and you start to get the spits like normally before if you were gonna throw up. Then, i'll go in the bathroom and bend over a bit and it all just comes up in one swoop like if someone gave you the heimlich (sp?) or kind of like when a cat throws up. Sorry, gross analogy but it is what it reminds me of. Not pleasant, but honestly you hurt so bad when you are stuck that PB'ing is really a relief and to me it isn't as bad as a regular vomit. Mine are very quick and dirty unless I get really stuck like I did the other night and PB 3 times - man, that sucked!

You are gonna PB now and again but try to do it as little as possible and definitely really stay away from throwing up. After a PB if its bad i'll do liquids or mushies for the next day to give it rest time. As far as vomiting, just think, that throw up has to make it's way back up through your tiny band hole - that does not feel good and it's not easy! I did it once and i've done everything in my power to make sure it doesn't happen again! It can really do a number on you.

I've never just slimed so i'm no help there. Either i'm stuck and it eventually goes down or I PB. No in between for me apparently!

AWESOME POST! The first time I have ever read about vomit having to make its way up the new stoma. Obviously makes sence but I have never visualized it until now.. thanks!

OMG Shelby, You are one hot mama! You look so healthy and happy in your new picture. You should really be very proud of yourself. You look great :)

dawn

I guess I spoke too soon. I PB'd for the second time today... I don't think I chewed well enough. I had my second fill this week and I'm experiencing real restriction for the first time. I don't like PBing, so I think the learning curve will be quick!

OMG Shelby, You are one hot mama! You look so healthy and happy in your new picture. You should really be very proud of yourself. You look great :)

dawn

Thanks so much! How are you doing!?

I guess I spoke too soon. I PB'd for the second time today... I don't think I chewed well enough. I had my second fill this week and I'm experiencing real restriction for the first time. I don't like PBing, so I think the learning curve will be quick!

After every fill I seem to have to relearn how to eat and what I can handle. After this last one I PB'ed quite a few times that first week but then I got back on track. Ahh the joys of the band!

WOW! I am so glad I asked! Thank you all for explaining that and Dan, maybe I jinxed you by having you talk about it :P ! All I know is it sounds really awful if you eat too much but that is EXACTLY what I need to keep me in line. Thanks everyone!

Thanks so much! How are you doing!?

I am doing pretty well, thanks. I had that little unfill of .2 and I have started losing again. It feels wonderful. I am only 3 pounds away from hitting the 50 pounds gone mark. I would love to be 199 by my one year date on Sept 1 but I will just have to wait and see. Take care,

dawn