Newly Banded

Hello, My name is Danielle I am 28 years old, and living in Arizona. I was just banded on July 24th, 2009 at the OCC. This is my first post here in the forum, so I thought I would introduce myself. I am struggling with my own head about how insanely hungry I am on the post op diet. It feels like the hunger pains of a growling stomach is harder to handle then any of the healing incisions. I just keep thinking "this is going to be worth it, I AM WORTH IT, I can do this." But as many of you know... IT IS SOOOOO HARD! and here I am on day 3 already complaining.

Does it get easier once the yogart and creamy soups are introduced?

Nice to meet everyone,

Danielle

Hello, My name is Danielle I am 28 years old, and living in Arizona. I was just banded on July 24th, 2009 at the OCC. This is my first post here in the forum, so I thought I would introduce myself. I am struggling with my own head about how insanely hungry I am on the post op diet. It feels like the hunger pains of a growling stomach is harder to handle then any of the healing incisions. I just keep thinking "this is going to be worth it, I AM WORTH IT, I can do this." But as many of you know... IT IS SOOOOO HARD! and here I am on day 3 already complaining.

Does it get easier once the yogart and creamy soups are introduced?

Nice to meet everyone,

Danielle

Danielle,

Welcome to the forum. I was banded same week as you (21st) so I know exactly what you are going through. I was starving until today, day 7, when I added the liquid yogurt. Man did that ever make a huge difference. It takes away that hunger. At least it did for me. Remember, the paperwork says you can start the yogurt any time after day 3. I asked Dr. Miranda why they gave us a range of dates and here is what she said:

HI the range was offered usually because some patients get rid of the gases earlier than others, and some people get diarrhea and the yogurt helps, if you feel too bloated wait until day 8 for the yogurt, but some patients get rid of the gas quick and sometimes the yogurt (liquid of course) makes them feel actually better. So just play it by ear, do not force feed, and you will be fine as long as you are on pure liquids.

Dr. Miranda

So if you are starving, contact her, but I think she will ok you to start the liquid yogurt...

Red

WELCOME to Bandland Daniell! With your determination, comes motivation, and that should make this journey easy for you. Keep the focus and the reason for why you got this band.

Remember to sip, sip, sip, and WALK, WALK, WALK. Dont' do long walks, but short, mini ones to rid of any gas bubbles you may have from surgery. Don't sit for too long without some kind of movements, like raising your arms up and down. No exercises too heavily until after 3 months since your surgery. This is the time for you and your band to heal and to bond with adjusting your new lifestyle.

The first 7 days, you are on clear liquids and you can have as many 1/2 cups you want throughout the day. There are NO calorie counting during this stage...so drink up til you are satified. Starting the 4th day, you can have those wonderful drinkable yogurts! Make sure you take Benefiber for the rotor rooter plumbing and take either the Metamucil capsules or the chewable Fiber Choice (for Weight Managmeent) for the hunger pangs. Take them at 10a and 3pm. Take them regularly, daily, should help curb you wanting to eat.

Write daily in a journal of your experience. Write in small, reachable goals you can achieve quickly and don't forget to reward yourself. I like to put a "star" up on the top right corner, when I have a good day for future reference.

Keep us posted on your weight loss journey as you are in for an incredible adventiure! Jazzy!!

Welcome to the group! You will find a lot of great information here!

I pretty much ditto what everyone has said here. Stick with it and before you know it you will be back on solids. I was amazed at how fast 21 days went by. Although for me it was the last two days that were the worst but that was probably head hunger b/c I knew food was around the bend.

Good luck!