Well I guess I'll finally introduce myself...

Hi, everybody! I feel a little silly posting this, as I've been posting on this board for a month or two now - but, what the heck. Today I started my pre-op diet (surgery is at the OCC on Sept. 29th) - so I feel like an official bandster now! :) My name is Deena - I'm 36, I'm a stay-at-home mom to my two darling little girls and am starting a master's program in library science next Fall (2010) - it's a long wait to start, but they are full for Fall and Spring - so I just have to keep myself occupied until then!

I do have a question for y'all though (I'm from the South, can you tell?) - Carolyn told me I could do option 2 or 3 of the pre-op diets - 2 being the shakes and one meal, three being Atkins induction. Did anyone do Atkins induction? I've got four weeks - so I decided to do this for the first 2, then switch to shakes if I'm not getting good results (I need to lose 12 lbs). Anyone done that? How were your results?

Well, thanks for all the info and support - I very much look forward to talking to you all in the future!

-- Deena

Deena - Nice to "formally" meet you! I did diet #2 and lost 15 lbs for my pre-op. It is very do-able. I had slip ups along the way and stressed over the process.

I started early for fear I would not meet the mark. I am a terrible dieter. I was banded in April of this year and I am very happy.

Hi, everybody! I feel a little silly posting this, as I've been posting on this board for a month or two now - but, what the heck. Today I started my pre-op diet (surgery is at the OCC on Sept. 29th) - so I feel like an official bandster now! :) My name is Deena - I'm 36, I'm a stay-at-home mom to my two darling little girls and am starting a master's program in library science next Fall (2010) - it's a long wait to start, but they are full for Fall and Spring - so I just have to keep myself occupied until then!

I do have a question for y'all though (I'm from the South, can you tell?) - Carolyn told me I could do option 2 or 3 of the pre-op diets - 2 being the shakes and one meal, three being Atkins induction. Did anyone do Atkins induction? I've got four weeks - so I decided to do this for the first 2, then switch to shakes if I'm not getting good results (I need to lose 12 lbs). Anyone done that? How were your results?

Well, thanks for all the info and support - I very much look forward to talking to you all in the future!

-- Deena

Welcome, Deena! I am new here as well! I am getting banded on the 18th of September and started option #2 today. Like you, I need to lose about 12 lbs. also! I'll check in with you in a few days to let you know how this diet is going.

Take care,

Charelle

-- Deena

Hi Deena!

I feel like I already know you, better late than never...lol

I choose to do the shakes for breakfast and Lunch and Lien Cusine for Dinner. I had GREAT results. I did start a little early because I was SO scared that I would not loose the weight required. I did the pre-op diet for 17 days and lost 16 pounds. The first three days were my hardest but after that, I can honestly say it was not that bad for me. I was however working ALOT of hours at work, so that kept me very busy and my mind off food. I HATED protein shakes, so I drank slim fast as my shakes. I have found a protien shake now that I love, it is called max protien from GNC...Chocolate, taste like choc milk.

I would also suggest that you take one chromium pill each day and I took 2 fiber pills at 9:00am and 2 at 3:00pm. This help SO MUCH with my hunger pains! Dr. Miranda suggested that and it was a life saver! Anyways, good luck to you and please keep us posted!

You will do GREAT!

Carrie

Thanks, guys! :) This is a great board and you all make me feel very welcome - I am looking forward to keeping everyone posted on my progress and watching yours as well. Day one of Atkins induction went pretty well, all things considered (some very stressful stuff going on today - swine flu outbreak at my older daughter's school, and my younger daughter's pre-k announcing that she will actually not be able to attend due to when her birthday falls - even though she's already been going for a week (!) - very frustrating) But, anyway, there are some things we can't change - so I'm focusing on the good stuff that I can. Can't wait to get into ketosis so I stop craving Diet Coke, though! :)

I did the shakes at breakfast and lunch...Lean Cuisine and a salad for dinner (with vinegar). I had done the Atkins diet before and lost a ton of weight...but I just couldn't do it again. Everytime I would try it...I would crave bread like CRAZY...and SWEETS. I thought the other way was easier. I also drank chicken broth through the day at least once...if I got too hungry. I know it is a lot of salt...but it worked for me!